Join Early Retirement Today

McCain bimbo eruption?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

McCain bimbo eruption?

As if this election season didn't have enough drama, just heard McCain is being linked romantically with a lobbyist, Vicki Iseman. Well, maybe true maybe not, but these things didn't stop Clinton from being elected, so perhaps it's not a big deal any more. On the other hand, McCain is running as Mr Clean with respect to special interests, so could be this story has legs. Huckabee may have been smart in not dropping out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #2

I haven't heard. Do you have a link to the story?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #3

for those concerned about his age, this could be a plus! perhaps he planted the story.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I haven't heard. Do you have a link to the story?
Sorry, forgot the link. Here it is, from the New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us...hp&oref=slogin
Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Sorry, forgot the link. Here it is, from the New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us...hp&oref=slogin
Now there's a creditable source.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Bright shiny ball. Must focus.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Republican fornications/adultery/divorces/children out of wedlock don't count.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #8

eruptions, bimbos, bright shiny balls, can't focus.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually this was first mentioned in December on the Drudge Report, but I kind of dismissed it then as just conservative dislike of John McCain. But the NY Times, whatever you think of its' liberal editorial page, doesn't usually go in for these personal type stories, and when it does, there is plenty of documented iceberg below the surface of the story. They wouldn't have gone with this story if they didn't have a good deal of solid background info.

Who knows whether this will derail the McCain campaign. There's less concern about whether or not they were romantically involved than there is as to whether or not the relationship produced some assistance to her lobbyist clients. He already had to weather the Keating scandal in AZ, and he can't afford more of the same.

Maybe Romney will be glad he only 'suspended' his campaign, and possibly Huckabee won't have to hope for something like a coronary in John McCain to give his campaign a chance.

Time will tell. Should be interesting. Who knows whether or not the Republican coronation will happen or whether McCain's ship of state will resemble the Titanic......mostly depends on what other shoes remain to drop.

NY Times endorsed McCain, so I can't imagine they really liked having to come out with this. Word is that another publication got wind of the arguments going on in the editorial room of the NYTimes whether or not to publish, and was about to blow the whistle, accusing the NYTimes of covering up the scandal because they had endorsed McCain.

Real life.....if you wrote it as a novel, who would believe it?

LooseChickens
Old 02-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The NY Times endorsement of McCain was the very definition of the lesser of two evils. In essence it was "Republican suck, McCain doesn't suck as much".
I am sure the NY Times will endorse any Democrat for the general election, so they have a vested interest in seeing McCain trashed.

I heard rumors of this back when he was running in 2000, (the lobbyist not the girl) and Bush couldn't make it stick. Reading between the lines the bimbo charge is McCain inappropriately flirted with 31 year old lobbyist back in 1999.

Gee do you think they'd hire an attractive woman and ask her to be nice to powerful senator

Is it bad to accept rides (not free) on corporate jets and then push to outlaw the practice? It is certainly fair to hold McCain to higher standard for any practice that he has successfully managed get changed and than doesn't obey the law.

But if the worse they can come up with is McCain flirts and he accepts legal campaign contributions and favors. I think that is a scandal :confused: the American people can live with.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #11

2000, big deal. So what who cares? Smear? Man politics is just like the garbage everyone hated in High School. I am sick of all of it.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #12

hmmm .... came up the last time he ran. Is that ALL they got??

Quote:

But the NY Times, whatever you think of its' liberal editorial page, doesn't usually go in for these personal type stories, and when it does, there is plenty of documented iceberg below the surface of the story. They wouldn't have gone with this story if they didn't have a good deal of solid background info.
Yup, with the likes of: Jayson Blair, Michael Finkel, and Rick Bragg, you know you're getting the best fabricated BS $$ can buy.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #13

Oh, please...grow up. Rumor has it George W. Bush has a girlfriend planted in a condo in Austin for years (at least, that's what went around Houston when he was elected the first time), Hillary cheats on Bill, etc. Who cares? Few powerful men (and women) haven't had someone on the side.
What does this have to do with much of anything--other than the man likes women?
Personally, I'm not voting for a paragon of virtue...but a person who can get things done to benefit us all.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
What does this have to do with much of anything--other than the man likes women?
The problem is, you can go to bed with anyone and it no longer matters, as long as you don't go to bed with a lobbyist. It's the infuence, not the sex.

I don't know if this story is true or not, when I read the NYT story it sounded a bit flimsy, but who knows what else might be there? He would still be my choice if I voted Republican (I'm undecided), unless there's something more to the story.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

CNBC folks are slobbering all over themselves this morning talking about it. Looks like we have this to look forward to over the next few weeks.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
CNBC folks are slobbering all over themselves this morning talking about it. Looks like we have this to look forward to over the next few weeks.
There; fixed it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Is there something new to this beyond what was flushed out for the 2000 election? The NYT article seems like a review of the same story that was investigated in depth back then. What's the new angle that I'm missing? There has to be something juicy in this....... beyond the CNBC folks slobbering, that is.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
The problem is, you can go to bed with anyone and it no longer matters, as long as you don't go to bed with a lobbyist. It's the infuence, not the sex.
If this gal performs nearly as well as she photographs, maybe ol' John can be forgiven, lobbyist or no. After all, she is 30 years younger than he; he has to bring something to the bed.

Ha
Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If this gal performs nearly as well as she photographs, maybe ol' John can be forgiven, lobbyist or no. After all, she is 30 years younger than he; he has to bring something to the bed.

Ha
Have you seen his wife? My guess is that he has enough of a hard time handling her (No pun intended)
Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Slam dunk Baby!
I just hate how his wife must feel.

But there is hope for us as we age .. right?? Oh its about power and what kind of power does a retired gym teacher marathon runner have? Not much..