Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
McCain goes "green"
Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 140
McCain goes "green"

I thought environmentalism was mostly confined to the Democratic party with the occasional Republican jumping in. However, McCain has defined himself as the "green" candidate. During the 2004 debates, only one question was asked about the environment now it is a hot topic.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...49799&src=news
__________________

__________________
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,183
Re: McCain goes "green"

I met John & Cindy years ago at a fund raising dinner. The only green he knows is money. He just sold his 13000 square foot (as I recall) home in Central Phoenix.
__________________

__________________
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
I thought environmentalism was mostly confined to the Democratic party with the occasional Republican jumping in.
There's a difference between living it and talking about it. Bush never made a big deal about being "green" but the house he built in Crawford is modest in size and incorporates a large nuber of green features. Al Gore's mansion is an embarrasing energy hog in comparison.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Re: McCain goes "green"

You can be green and be a conservative. In fact if, they go hand in hand. Here is what Newt Gingrich says about 'green Conservatism':

I
Quote:
'd like to offer you a different view: You can be totally committed to conservative principles -- to individual liberty, a market economy, entrepreneurship and lower taxes -- and still be a Green Conservative. You can believe that with the sound use of science and technology and the right incentives to encourage entrepreneurs, conservatism can provide a better solution for the health of our planet than can liberalism.

So what is Green Conservatism? Here are its basic values:

1. Green Conservatism favors clean air and clean water.

2. Green Conservatism understands biodiversity as a positive good.

3. Green Conservatism favors minimizing carbon loading in the atmosphere as a positive public value.

4. Green Conservatism is pro-science, pro-technology and pro-innovation.

5. Green Conservatism believes that green prosperity and green development are integral to the successful future of the human race.

6. Green Conservatism believes that economic growth and environmental health are compatible in both the developed and developing world.

7. Green Conservatism believes that we can realize more positive environmental outcomes faster by shifting tax code incentives and shifting market behavior than is possible from litigation and regulation.
Sounds pretty solid to me!
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Re: McCain goes "green"

So why aren't their any in Congress?
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 145
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
So why aren't their any in Congress?
Because politicians are like everything else. You get what you pay for. Or, in this case, what the oil companies pay for.
__________________
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,072
Re: McCain goes "green"

I like McCain. Seems like a fairly genuine person. He missed his chance back when Bush got elected. It is unlikely that a 71 year old will be voted in.

IMO, he would have been a better choice than what we have now! And Green is not bad... Green make common sense in many cases. It is the extreme edges of either side of the argument that is problematic.
__________________
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 145
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
I like McCain. Seems like a fairly genuine person. He missed his chance back when Bush got elected. It is unlikely that a 71 year old will be voted in.

IMO, he would have been a better choice than what we have now! And Green is not bad... Green make common sense in many cases. It is the extreme edges of either side of the argument that is problematic.
I was actually very angry when Bush got the nomination. I am sick of elections where I have to hold my nose and vote for "bad" because it's better than "worse." Anyway, 71 isn't that old. Remember Reagan? Problem is, I have yet to see where McCain has that kind of charisma and leadership quality. If he gets the nom, he'll probably get my vote, though. The rest of the pack so far makes me shudder.

__________________
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 140
Re: McCain goes "green"

McCain can win. Check out the blog below. Although he started slow, especially with fundraising, his campaign is gaining speed. Everyday he is gaining more endorsements. I realize it is early in the campaign but he beats both Hillary and Obama in most polls.




http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefi...ccain_win.html
__________________
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,649
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
McCain can win.
Not a chance.

Did anyone see him on The Daily Show? Not very good.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 718
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Not a chance.

Did anyone see him on The Daily Show? Not very good.
Its either him or the former mayor. Democrats probably got a decent shot this election
__________________
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 844
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
You can be green and be a conservative. In fact if, they go hand in hand. Here is what Newt Gingrich says about 'green Conservatism':

I Sounds pretty solid to me!
Yes, but which Newt should we believe? The one that said this:

“There’s no evidence to support global warming — none. It’s essentially cultural anthropology,”

http://thehill.com/mark-mellman/gop-...007-03-27.html

not long ago, or the one that suddenly decide that he would like to be president and thus now is willing to "believe" something else depending on who is in the audience?

Newt...no way.

__________________
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
Yes, but which Newt should we believe? The one that said this:

“There’s no evidence to support global warming — none. It’s essentially cultural anthropology,”

http://thehill.com/mark-mellman/gop-...007-03-27.html

not long ago, or the one that suddenly decide that he would like to be president and thus now is willing to "believe" something else depending on who is in the audience?

Newt...no way.

you don't have to believe that humans are causing global warming to be green.
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: McCain goes "green"
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,136
Re: McCain goes "green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
you don't have to believe that humans are causing global warming to be green.
Sure don't. Sometimes just eating a bad burrito can do it.

__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.