McCain goes "green"

I met John & Cindy years ago at a fund raising dinner. The only green he knows is money. He just sold his 13000 square foot (as I recall) home in Central Phoenix.

janeeyre said:
I thought environmentalism was mostly confined to the Democratic party with the occasional Republican jumping in.

There's a difference between living it and talking about it. Bush never made a big deal about being "green" but the house he built in Crawford is modest in size and incorporates a large nuber of green features. Al Gore's mansion is an embarrasing energy hog in comparison.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

You can be green and be a conservative. In fact if, they go hand in hand. Here is what Newt Gingrich says about 'green Conservatism':

I
'd like to offer you a different view: You can be totally committed to conservative principles -- to individual liberty, a market economy, entrepreneurship and lower taxes -- and still be a Green Conservative. You can believe that with the sound use of science and technology and the right incentives to encourage entrepreneurs, conservatism can provide a better solution for the health of our planet than can liberalism.

So what is Green Conservatism? Here are its basic values:

1. Green Conservatism favors clean air and clean water.

2. Green Conservatism understands biodiversity as a positive good.

3. Green Conservatism favors minimizing carbon loading in the atmosphere as a positive public value.

4. Green Conservatism is pro-science, pro-technology and pro-innovation.

5. Green Conservatism believes that green prosperity and green development are integral to the successful future of the human race.

6. Green Conservatism believes that economic growth and environmental health are compatible in both the developed and developing world.

7. Green Conservatism believes that we can realize more positive environmental outcomes faster by shifting tax code incentives and shifting market behavior than is possible from litigation and regulation.
Sounds pretty solid to me!

So why aren't their any in Congress?

Khan said:
So why aren't their any in Congress?

Because politicians are like everything else. You get what you pay for. Or, in this case, what the oil companies pay for.

I like McCain. Seems like a fairly genuine person. He missed his chance back when Bush got elected. It is unlikely that a 71 year old will be voted in.

IMO, he would have been a better choice than what we have now! And Green is not bad... Green make common sense in many cases. It is the extreme edges of either side of the argument that is problematic.

chinaco said:
I like McCain. Seems like a fairly genuine person. He missed his chance back when Bush got elected. It is unlikely that a 71 year old will be voted in.

IMO, he would have been a better choice than what we have now! And Green is not bad... Green make common sense in many cases. It is the extreme edges of either side of the argument that is problematic.

I was actually very angry when Bush got the nomination. I am sick of elections where I have to hold my nose and vote for "bad" because it's better than "worse." Anyway, 71 isn't that old. Remember Reagan? Problem is, I have yet to see where McCain has that kind of charisma and leadership quality. If he gets the nom, he'll probably get my vote, though. The rest of the pack so far makes me shudder.

donheff said:
Not a chance.

Did anyone see him on The Daily Show? Not very good.

Its either him or the former mayor. Democrats probably got a decent shot this election :LOL:

Alex said:
You can be green and be a conservative. In fact if, they go hand in hand. Here is what Newt Gingrich says about 'green Conservatism':

I Sounds pretty solid to me!

Yes, but which Newt should we believe? The one that said this:

“There’s no evidence to support global warming — none. It’s essentially cultural anthropology,”

http://thehill.com/mark-mellman/gop-should-catch-up-with-constituents-2007-03-27.html

not long ago, or the one that suddenly decide that he would like to be president and thus now is willing to "believe" something else depending on who is in the audience?

Newt...no way.

OldMcDonald said:
Yes, but which Newt should we believe? The one that said this:

“There’s no evidence to support global warming — none. It’s essentially cultural anthropology,”

http://thehill.com/mark-mellman/gop-should-catch-up-with-constituents-2007-03-27.html

not long ago, or the one that suddenly decide that he would like to be president and thus now is willing to "believe" something else depending on who is in the audience?

Newt...no way.
you don't have to believe that humans are causing global warming to be green.

Back
Top Bottom