Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

McGovern - an op-ed for The Washington Post
Old 01-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

McGovern - an op-ed for The Washington Post

The GREAT George McGovern wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post.
washingtonpost.com

There was also an article on CBS News
McGovern: Impeach Bush, Cheney Now, Former Democratic Candidate Says Crimes Of Current Administration Worse Than Nixon's - CBS News

Both are good reads.

The definition of fo·rum is a
place to express yourself: a medium in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions, e.g. a magazine or newspaper

With that being said, is this not a forum to discuss such issues as this?

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Ok.I'll bite..........what was/is "great" about George McGovern??

Quote:
The definition of fo·rum is a
place to express yourself: a medium in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions, e.g. a magazine or newspaper

With that being said, is this not a forum to discuss such issues as this?
It is, but as REWahoo alluded to, is there anything ELSE you can discuss besides political threads? My bet is NO..........

GOD BLESS[/quote]

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

While I tend to stay out of threads like these, I can't help but quote "barbarus" from another recent thread: Its poo!

In very general terms - and in a very complex world - I want a president that will look out for Americans first - regardless of the opinion of the rest of the world. I have no tolerance for those in the blame America first crowd. We are not perfect but we are the envy of the world - and will remain so for the forseeable future. It's something worth defending.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
While I tend to stay out of threads like these, I can't help but quote "barbarus" from another recent thread: Its poo!

In very general terms - and in a very complex world - I want a president that will look out for Americans first - regardless of the opinion of the rest of the world. I have no tolerance for those in the blame America first crowd. We are not perfect but we are the envy of the world - and will remain so for the forseeable future. It's something worth defending.
I have no problem blaming America first - starting with the dog catcher(stinking leash law!) on up to city hall, the state, and the dang federals(lived in N.O. too long).

It's just when those dang fer a ners do it that pisses me off!

And another thing - why can't they all learn American Football - instead of that silly soccer! What is wrong with those people!

heh heh heh - send em all to Kansas - that will straighten them out.

Luckily if my team doesn't win - it won't affect my ER.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ok.I'll bite..........what was/is "great" about George McGovern??

It is, but as REWahoo alluded to, is there anything ELSE you can discuss besides political threads? My bet is NO..........

GOD BLESS
[/quote]

Mad·am,

Please control yourself I think that we have gone a few rounds before and your childish rants and insults are not working. If you want to influence anybody's way of thinking and maybe get them to change their minds on a particular issue you need to quit with the childish rants and insults. Oh, please do not edit my post again. That's called censorship.

As for what you, rewahoo and others think it does matter because I only have one judge and he is up in heaven.

Questioning one's use of and mocking GOD BLESS is a losing mentality.

Maybe what you need to do is be a little more tolerant of other people's viewpoints and opinions. And then again maybe you need to listen to some David Allen Coe . FYI I was listening to Mr. Coe when I was writing this post.

GOD BLESS
Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Maybe what you need to do is be a little more tolerant of other people's viewpoints and opinions. And then again maybe you need to listen to some David Allen Coe . FYI I was listening to Mr. Coe when I was writing this post.

GOD BLESS[/quote]

The heck with politics and ER and football and Mr Coe(although I like the song playing).

You can get 'the song' on your link:

Johnny Russell's - Rednecks, Whitesocks, and Blue Ribbon Beer!

Just makes me dream of Pssst - Wellesley, metal lunchbuckets, blue collars, steel toed boots, yellow dogs and Democrats!

heh heh heh - You done good.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Please control yourself I think that we have gone a few rounds before and your childish rants and insults are not working. If you want to influence anybody's way of thinking and maybe get them to change their minds on a particular issue you need to quit with the childish rants and insults. Oh, please do not edit my post again. That's called censorship.
When did I edit your post? I merely quoted you and responded. Besides, calling a grown man "madam" is certainly childish..........

Quote:
As for what you, rewahoo and others think it does matter because I only have one judge and he is up in heaven.
Maybe REWahoo and I just call a spade a spade.

Quote:
Questioning one's use of and mocking GOD BLESS is a losing mentality.
Wow, you are still mad about that? That was a long time ago.........

Quote:
Maybe what you need to do is be a little more tolerant of other people's viewpoints and opinions.
That's good advice, perhaps you should follow it yourself.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

GOD BLESS
The heck with politics and ER and football and Mr Coe(although I like the song playing).

You can get 'the song' on your link:

Johnny Russell's - Rednecks, Whitesocks, and Blue Ribbon Beer!

Just makes me dream of Pssst - Wellesley, metal lunchbuckets, blue collars, steel toed boots, yellow dogs and Democrats!

heh heh heh - You done good. [/quote]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Unclemick, here is Mr. Johnny Russell Being from Texas this a song is a requirement as far as country music goes, if one is going to call themselves a Texan.

Here is another one that you can listen to from Mr. Ray Charles

Hey, I just threw in Mr. Ray Charles' America for in case somebody questions your pa·tri·ot·ism. As it is NOT nice to hang out with a troll like me because the Mad·am and some of the others might not take kindly to it.

GOD BLESS
Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #9

Since I'm not allways able to resist peeking at the content of these posts that are designed to provoke bad feelings I have implemented my ignore user option for the first time. I feel positively giddy!

ENOUGH of that religious crap!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I voted for McGovern, but only because Nixon was the alternative... <insert "hold your nose" emoticon here>

This whole "impeach everyone I don't agree with" thing is, well, ridiculous...

That's a Steve Goodman song, btw...

Don't tell anyone, but I've had a few "cool Blues" in my day. But my redneck was hidden by my ponytail...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Hi all

I would like to remind everyone that we have our community guidelines, of which I quote,

Quote:
Be Courteous! We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards. Treating each other with respect and kindness, and thinking before you speak will go a long way towards making this an enjoyable place.
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
Please stay on the subject on hand, which was the Washington Post posting. If we can't do this, I will lock this thread to give everyone a chance to cool down.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I voted for McGovern, but only because Nixon was the alternative... <insert "hold your nose" emoticon here>

This whole "impeach everyone I don't agree with" thing is, well, ridiculous...

That's a Steve Goodman song, btw...

Don't tell anyone, but I've had a few "cool Blues" in my day. But my redneck was hidden by my ponytail...
If they did not impeach Nixon then I do not think that we should impeach Old George W and Cheney. An impeachment would lead to a further tearing apart of our country and the only ones that would be served by this action would be the news organizations.

You must be a Texan to know that the song was written by Mr. Steve Goodman.

With that being said I will borrow a few lines from the song
"But the only time I know I'll hear David Allen Coe and Wags is when Jesus has his final judgement day"

Are you a biker?

GOD BLESS
Old 01-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If they did not impeach Nixon then I do not think that we should impeach Old George W and Cheney. An impeachment would lead to a further tearing apart of our country and the only ones that would be served by this action would be the news organizations.
Nixon had the good graces to quit...

Quote:
You must be a Texan to know that the song was written by Mr. Steve Goodman.
Steve Goodman was from Chicago. I'm a Hoosier transplant to Texas...

Quote:
Are you a biker?
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Nixon had the good graces to quit...

Steve Goodman was from Chicago. I'm a Hoosier transplant to Texas...

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

As for Nixon having the good graces - You got that right.

When a man (Steve Goodman) can write songs like that it does not matter if he is from Chicago, a Hoosier, a Jay Hawk or a Texan - the important thing is that he is an American treasure.

As for staying at the Holiday Inn - if it's good enough for you it's good enough for me.

GOD BLESS
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

How old is our friend McGovern anyway? I'm thinking he wrote this article after a drinking session with Senator Byrd? Certainly, I could be wrong.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
How old is our friend McGovern anyway? I'm thinking he wrote this article after a drinking session with Senator Byrd? Certainly, I could be wrong.
Arc, if I recall correctly Mr. McGovern is about 85. What the heck after a couple of drinks he might even be able to take Leonardo's girlfriend for a couple of days. At 85 it can't do any harm and the worse that could happen is that he would pass with a smile on his face while doing the ? and listening to Uriah Heep - Wizard .

GOD BLESS
Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It really doesn't matter how old he is (in some cultures "older" is wiser), whatever your views, the former Senator is a patriot. I also think our President is a patriot. They appear to disagree, that is a very good thing. If anything, America is all about disagreeing. I say, bring on the impeachment, the truth of the matter will eventually be revealed anyway. Suppressing "the truth" is the antithesis of democracy and impeachment hearings are the sort of political theater that makes our country stronger...regardless of the outcome.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Arc, if I recall correctly Mr. McGovern is about 85. What the heck after a couple of drinks he might even be able to take Leonardo's girlfriend for a couple of days. At 85 it can't do any harm and the worse that could happen is that he would pass with a smile on his face while doing the ? and listening to Uriah Heep - Wizard .

GOD BLESS
Well by all means then - 2 nights for Mr. McGovern on me. And out of respect for his age and contributions to our country - I'll allow a little something his speed. She'll love it!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Not necessarily. The "protein stain" impeachment of Clinton in 1998 did not cause that much of a ripple.

Impeachment of Bill Clinton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This might be the first forum fight waged via youtube.

GREEN DAY LYRICS - Jesus Of Suburbia