Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used Chef'd for orders around 10 times and every one has been delivered precisely on the scheduled day I picked. (I'm in Colorado.) We've really liked most of the dishes - there was only one I wouldn't re-order. Meats and veggies have been of very high quality, and the portions easily serve two for dinner with extra for a lunch. Sometimes two lunches. Even when delivered on a hot day the food has been nice and chilled.

We've re-ordered some favorites, and used the included recipe cards to make some others with our own ingredients.

I'd just as soon not have my in-box cluttered with a bunch of unneeded emails -- as long as the food is going to show up on the date I picked when I ordered it, I don't need any further notice.

We're quite happy customers.
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does any of them do sous vide recipes?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
For me, a big draw to this kind of service is threefold.
. . . .

Third, and most importantly. I like the idea of these services because you get the amount of ingredients that you need to for the meal without a lot of wastage. With some recipes, they call for ingredients that I don't usually eat. I have to buy a jar to use a tablespoon for example. I am then stuck with the jar that I have no use for. If I end up eventually throwing it out then the cost of my meal is higher than originally thought because I spent to buy the entire container but only used a small amount of it. Some recipes have things, also, that I just don't find in stores or are very expensive for even a small quantity. I really love the idea of not having to buy more than I will use.
I see this comment a lot. I wonder if there is an opportunity to ship recipes and the small stuff like spices, oils, odd types of produce and leave the perishables to me. I can go get meat and typical produce items. I've never seen these packaged ready to cook meals, but I wonder how much smaller the package would be if the perishables were left out. It would cut down on shipping cost and container waste and still accomplish a big part of the main objective - give people variety and a simpler experience.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #124

Kroger has introduced their own meal kit service, at least around here. They call it Prep+Pared and the cost is $14 for a two-person meal kit. Initial reaction from a few people I know who have tried them is positive. So there's another competitor in the ring!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
For some people that is true but for me it is a hassle that doesn't work.

I just cleaned out my freezer and pantry of expired stuff (really expired, not just a little bit). And, a lot of it was this type of stuff. Stuff that I bought for a specific recipe and then didn't use again.

Yes, theoretically I could find another recipe to use this spice I don't use for anything else or this perishable item that I only used 1/4 of for the recipe. But, it is more likely I have to find 2 different recipes, one for the spice and one for the perishable item. And, that kind of hassle just gets to be more cooking and searching for recipes that I like.

Someone who likes to do a lot of cooking or who likes the puzzle piece aspect of this would like it. But, that just isn't me....
What the condiments in Katsmeow's kitchen are saying....

https://youtu.be/Az080LXT7FA
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

By way of update, after cancelling Blue Apron we ordered two meals from Chef'd.

We ordered two chicken meals that were supposed to take ten minutes. We won't be ordering more from Chef'd. There were no problems with delivery, and we liked being able to pick our delivery day. However, the meals contained very little fresh food, and both meals for two people contained only 5 ounces of chicken. Yes, 2 1/2 ounces of chicken per person per meal! Pasta and rice made up the balance. They don't include any nutrition information at all, but I'm suspecting the meals are not very healthy. They tasted pretty good, though. They also took longer than 10 minutes to prepare, but we figured that. They shouldn't mis-state the time.

We are kind of done with the whole concept of these meal kits. Maybe in time we will give another one a try.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #127
Gone but not forgotten

I see even Martha Stewart has jumped on the meal plan bandwagon with Martha & Marley spoon . I looked at the website but the reviews are not great .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
By way of update, after cancelling Blue Apron we ordered two meals from Chef'd.

We ordered two chicken meals that were supposed to take ten minutes. We won't be ordering more from Chef'd. There were no problems with delivery, and we liked being able to pick our delivery day. However, the meals contained very little fresh food, and both meals for two people contained only 5 ounces of chicken. Yes, 2 1/2 ounces of chicken per person per meal! Pasta and rice made up the balance. They don't include any nutrition information at all, but I'm suspecting the meals are not very healthy. They tasted pretty good, though. They also took longer than 10 minutes to prepare, but we figured that. They shouldn't mis-state the time.

We are kind of done with the whole concept of these meal kits. Maybe in time we will give another one a try.
I think your review is absolutely correct about the quality of their meals, although ChefD does include the nutritional information for every meal on their website. You're right, though; I don't recall seeing it in the material shipped to me. If the calories they claim are correct (and that's a big "if"), I think they are amazingly tasty for the calories since I was getting 3-4 meals from each supposedly 2 portion meal.

I feel vindicated that it wasn't just me who needed more than 10 minutes to prepare their 10-minute meals.

I didn't measure the weight of the chicken, but maybe that low weight of chicken is why I didn't feel the meals were what I wanted. Like you, I felt they were delicious but had too much pasta for me. I prefer just getting overpriced meat from ButcherBox, plus I am still not happy with ChefD's delivery issues. So, I don't plan to order from Chef'D any more but will continue with ButcherBox.

Now that I have ordered from ChefD once, their ads are everywhere I go on the internet and I get a lot of e-mails from them about various meals they now offer. Honestly I think that is pretty low to aim so much advertising at me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote