Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Almost tempted to buy a few. Haven't had a need in the last 5 years, but they would have come in handy during Katrina. Going to a restaurant or grocery store was a nightmare the week after the storm. Not to mention the power outage in my neighborhood.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Almost tempted to buy a few. Haven't had a need in the last 5 years, but they would have come in handy during Katrina. Going to a restaurant or grocery store was a nightmare the week after the storm. Not to mention the power outage in my neighborhood.
Food was very hard to find down here after Katrina too. However MREs and bottled water were freely distributed and there were plenty to be had. That was SO tempting since it took hours of waiting in line to get anything else at all, and then once you got to the front of the line there was little if any choice in what could be bought. At a restaurant after waiting hours everybody got the same thing - - a cold burger on a stale bun on a paper plate with nothing else but your choice of ketchup or mustard. At the few grocery stores that weren't full of rotting produce and closed, the shelves were 90% cleaned out and you had to take what you could get. Still, I didn't take any MREs.

Weight Watchers resumed down here on Oct 1, 2005 about a month after Katrina. Almost the very first thing my leader did after we all hugged one another and cried a little, was to caution us against eating MRE's.

MREs are designed for healthy, active 18 year old men engaging in strenuous activities/warfare every day, not for the average person. I don't recall the calories but if my memory is correct then one MRE meal had more calories than I should have consumed in a couple of days if I didn't want to gain. So, of course that had to be pretty yummy but you pay the price.

I'd prefer canned food to MREs should we have another disaster (knock on wood!).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I keep 3 MREs in my winter survival kit for my car.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Does anyone else recall LRRP (long range recon patrol) rations? They were used in the 60's-70's and were probably considered the forerunner to MREs. Much lighter and "quieter" than Cs. They had a rice and beef meal that I still recall as sweet.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm crewing on a 3-4 day sailboat race in mid-July, and the six of us will be eating almost nothing but MRE's (one member of our crew is active military) for the whole trip. They're a great alternative for traveling light, easy prep, etc.

I recommend drinking lots of water...because MRE's can cause certain "diffculties" sometimes...if you know what I mean.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I had occasion to tour Basic American Food's potato plant in Idaho. In addition to the usual products they provided potatoes in various forms to the military. The plant test kitchen developed instant string potatoes for submarine crew consumption. I sampled the product, it wasn't half bad.. but then many a sea cook can ruin anything.

For what it is worth.. the employees I met there, from management to laborers, were the best in the west and kept me laughing.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #27

I keep flats of bottled spring water and some gallons of it in the garage for emergencies. I could also exist here for several weeks on a somewhat eccentric diet of powdered milk, raisins, cereal, licorice, crackers, tins of sardines and tuna, dried apricots, canned garbanzo beans, chocolate and who knows what else in the recesses of the pantry. And there's also the wine and gin and tonic water.
I recall my husband bringing home a couple of MRE's for our school-aged son to see. The kid liked the tiny bottles of Tabasco sauce which my husband told him made the meals almost palatable.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Does anyone else recall LRRP (long range recon patrol) rations? They were used in the 60's-70's and were probably considered the forerunner to MREs. Much lighter and "quieter" than Cs. They had a rice and beef meal that I still recall as sweet.
Yep. Noted in my earlier post. (#5). On long excursions a whole lot lighter, one meal day was plenty, no noise, the packaging was easy bury, left no cans 'n stuff which were dead giveaways of US travelers.

Still have one pack.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
MREs are designed for healthy, active 18 year old men engaging in strenuous activities/warfare every day, not for the average person. I don't recall the calories but if my memory is correct then one MRE meal had more calories than I should have consumed in a couple of days if I didn't want to gain. So, of course that had to be pretty yummy but you pay the price.
They're roughly 1500-2000 calories each, although that varies. The Army calorie-control trick is that in the field you're lucky to get one or two per day. You know, one MRE for each hour of sleep.

When my nephew the Army Ranger was going through Ranger school, MREs were referred to as "Army Weight Watchers". He started at 6'4", 225# and ended up in the 190s after just 12 weeks.

So, if you have access to a pair of Army boots and a rucksack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Years ago I had occasion to tour Basic American Food's potato plant in Idaho. In addition to the usual products they provided potatoes in various forms to the military. The plant test kitchen developed instant string potatoes for submarine crew consumption. I sampled the product, it wasn't half bad.. but then many a sea cook can ruin anything.
Those are yummy. Frozen food tends to work out pretty well because the submarine freezer is usually at -10 degrees F. It's the refrigerated food that everybody's suspicious of. For example you could "usually" get six weeks out of a head of iceberg lettuce. Seven weeks? Well... how hungry are you? And by eight weeks the remaining "fresh" eggs were plentiful. They'd usually been stored in the torpedo room bilge, which during North Atlantic winters stayed a bit cooler than the refrigerator.

Spouse is still amazed at what I'll eat after it's well into the "extended range" of its refrigerator life. To this day I can remember the smell of fresh oranges coming down the hatch (from over 100 feet away) after a 90-day patrol... over 25 years ago. I also have an equally strong yet opposite repugnant reaction to the smell of three-bean "salad", which is what was usually served beginning in week #7 and going all the way to week #13.

Cooks can volunteer for submarine service (and sub pay) but few do. Submarine galleys are an exercise in extreme deprivation of personal space for 3x meals per day. They also have to do all baking from scratch, including rolls and pastries. In addition the oven regularly rocks, rolls, and takes up/down angles while the engineering department (fondly referred to as "those f'in nukes") are always running drills that deprive the galley of electricity. Suddenly life on an aircraft carrier or shore base doesn't seem so bad after all...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
They're roughly 1500-2000 calories each, although that varies. The Army calorie-control trick is that in the field you're lucky to get one or two per day. You know, one MRE for each hour of sleep.
Aha! That's the key, then. Civilians here said they were eating three a day, figuring that each was meant to be one of three daily meals, and gosh weren't they delicious and filling. I guess 4500-6000 calories per day is an amount that was too much for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
When my nephew the Army Ranger was going through Ranger school, MREs were referred to as "Army Weight Watchers". He started at 6'4", 225# and ended up in the 190s after just 12 weeks.

So, if you have access to a pair of Army boots and a rucksack...
Thanks, I think I'll pass!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The submarine force does that too. But before the food situation got dire enough to break out the MREs, we'd send the Supply Officer and the lead cook out through one of the torpedo tubes...
This made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
I'm crewing on a 3-4 day sailboat race in mid-July, and the six of us will be eating almost nothing but MRE's
This sounds like no sailboat race I know. Foi gras, $$$ wine, truffles, yes, MREs no. Seriously, what gives?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #33

MRE's are a reminder of my brilliance in going Naval Air. Whether on land or sea (ya know on those REALLY BIG ships) we always had 3 hots a day. Even on extended flights the galley would make us sandwiches, chips and a soda for lunch.

But then on one d*mn yearly drill in the Reserves, near the very end of my military career, I got sent to Korea and had to eat the d*mn things for 2 weeks and (Gasp!) sleep in a tent!

I knew then that I had made the right decision to go Naval Air waaaayyy back when. . . .
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #34

lol....I got a couple weeks straight MRE's too...and it was in Korea as well! Kunsan, 1985, to be exact. MRE's weren't the tasty snacks then that they are now... For some reason, my other two trips to Korea didn't involve MRE's. Don't know why, but I didn't complain.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I heard rumors that in the Navy, as long as there is a supply officer around there is always the option of pork chops fillet.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I heard rumors that in the Navy, as long as there is a supply officer around there is always the option of pork chops fillet.
Which Navy are you talking about? Can't be the US Navy as far as I know (unless those darn Supply Officers kept them to themselves )
Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Yep. Noted in my earlier post. (#5). On long excursions a whole lot lighter, one meal day was plenty, no noise, the packaging was easy bury, left no cans 'n stuff which were dead giveaways of US travelers.

Still have one pack.
Sorry that I missed your mentiuon of LRRPs. Still have a LRRP? Must be ready for the mess hall museum, if there is one.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #38

I remember the first MREs. Anyone else remember the dehydrated pork and beef patties? They certainly are much better now.

We used to get served all the expired ones in the National Guard. The Army vets would certify them for human consumption. The charms would be a solid mass, and tabasco dried up... Wonder how old they were.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Apparently these days "pork chop" is considered a pejorative term by our logistics professionals!

Not my Navy anymore...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Cool! trade a Camel for some gonococci.

Ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I'm sitting here laughing as I remember all the nicknames we had for the different meals and accessories in the C-rats. None of them can be published on a family friendly website.
For a minute there I thought you were laughing at all the nicknames you had for gonococci...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote