Join Early Retirement Today

Meal, Ready-to-eat, individual
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Meal, Ready-to-eat, individual

I acquired a MRE that I'm sending to one of my nephews (age 8) but need to get one more for the other nephew or I be "playing favorites." I'll try next week to scarf up another one.

The one that I have is Menu 17, Sloppy Joe. As the link shows, there are 24 different menus available in the 2010 edition. Just another "benefit" of being involved with the US military. Some are actually pretty tasty.

MREInfo.com - Menus XXX (2010)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

lol....I wouldn't go as far as to describle MRE's as "tasty", but they are definitely better than they used to be. Now that I don't have to eat them anymore (yes, even Air Force troops get MRE's now & then), for some reason I'm thinking about picking up a few to have in the house for emergencies. Just what kind of emergency might require dining on MRE's I don't know, but I'm sure there must be one. Anyhow, we shop at the commissary on an Air Force base weekly, & they sell individual MRE's for around $7.50 each, I think. I'm gonna pick up maybe 1/2 dozen soon. It hasn't been too long that I had a whole case of them, and was so sure I'd NEVER eat them again, I gave them to my son-in-law so he'd have some tasty snacks for the deer stand. I can't believe I'm actually going to fork over real money for them! I must be getting senile!!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We keep them around for emergencies. If you poke aroun online you can find all kinds of weird variants, like Hallal and vegetarian MREs. Since one of my daughters is veggie and DW and I do not eat all meats, I ended up buying a case of the vegetarian.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Mres are a must have for any sort of regional disaster (hurricanes for us). I find that spegetti is best, mixed with the included cheese sause and hot sauce. If you find yourself without power for weeks on end, any hot meal will hit the spot. I was glad to have them.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

Don't know about MREs.
My fond memories are of C rations with cigarettes and chocolate covered coconut cookies. Tinned peanut butter! Next were LRRPs. Just add hot water Yummm.

One day I'll sample the MREs.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Don't know about MREs.
My fond memories are of C rations with cigarettes and chocolate covered coconut cookies. Tinned peanut butter! Next were LRRPs. Just add hot water Yummm.

One day I'll sample the MREs.
+1 I have never smoked, but those Camels, Lucky Strikes, and Pall Malls in the C Rations were great as trade items.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We keep them around for emergencies.
The submarine force does that too. But before the food situation got dire enough to break out the MREs, we'd send the Supply Officer and the lead cook out through one of the torpedo tubes...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #8

Winter survival was my first taste of Pemmican. We did not get the rest of the c rations just the pemmican bars. As close as I can tell 50% fat 50% dried hamburger! Might be great for the Dukan diet, but it was the worst stuff I ever tasted! For me, MRE's are a huge improvement!!!!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The submarine force does that too. But before the food situation got dire enough to break out the MREs, we'd send the Supply Officer and the lead cook out through one of the torpedo tubes...
When the MREs closed in on the expiration date, they were served to the duty sections while in-port.

Naturally, that made the staff over at Nujo's Pizza very happy. "They're serving MREs on the boat, so I'd like 20 large pepperoni and sausage pies, and one pineapple and ham for the lootenant..."
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

There we were on an MSTS troopship. (Military Sea Transport Service. This is a civilian ship with a civilian crew leased by the US Navy. The civilians made more money if they skimped on food.) This particular troopship had a cargo hold easily accessible from the troop quarters. We had loaded thousands of boxes of C Rations into in the cargo hold for use at our destination. The food on this ship was so bad that after a few days our CO (Commanding Officer) gave the order to break out the C Rations and that's what most of us ate for the rest of the voyage. We still had plenty for use at our destination.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
When the MREs closed in on the expiration date, they were served to the duty sections while in-port.
I swear I never knew that MREs had expiration dates.

One day in 1985 aboard USS JAMES MONROE, during a freezer cleanout to fix a refrigerant leak, we found frozen beef with a 1952 date. To this day I'm still hoping it was a "let's play a joke on the officer" situation...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
I swear I never knew that MREs had expiration dates.

One day in 1985 aboard USS JAMES MONROE, during a freezer cleanout to fix a refrigerant leak, we found frozen beef with a 1952 date. To this day I'm still hoping it was a "let's play a joke on the officer" situation...
When I started working at Cavalier AFS in 1976 we had C rations for emergency food. I got stuck there in a 3 day blizzard and wound up eating scalloped potatoes and ham that had been packed in 1945. Nobody got sick from it but we spent quite awhile expecting to.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I went on a 10 day canoe trip with a group back a few years ago and we principally had MREs for dinners. Not too bad after you get used to them. I found it was much better to heat them in boiling water over the fire than with the chemical heaters that they come with.

When we got to a certain part of the trip we had a treat of boxed doctored macaroni and cheese - I never thought that macaroni and cheese could taste so good, but compared to the MREs it was heavenly.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
+1 I have never smoked, but those Camels, Lucky Strikes, and Pall Malls in the C Rations were great as trade items.
Cool! trade a Camel for some gonococci.

Ha
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #15

I'm sitting here laughing as I remember all the nicknames we had for the different meals and accessories in the C-rats. None of them can be published on a family friendly website.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Administrator

At Quantico, some Marines taught me how to burn little pieces of C-4 to heat up the cans. Works just like sterno.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
At Quantico, some Marines taught me how to burn little pieces of C-4 to heat up the cans. Works just like sterno.
Hmmm... Using C-4 instead of sterno could give an entirely new meaning to the term 'chafing dish'...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm crewing on a 3-4 day sailboat race in mid-July, and the six of us will be eating almost nothing but MRE's (one member of our crew is active military) for the whole trip. They're a great alternative for traveling light, easy prep, etc.

And as the son of a lifer (haven't heard/used that term in decades), I can attest to how much better MRE's have become. When I was a kid my Dad would give me one for fun for dinner (I loved it) once in a while, I think they were called C rations then. He had to take out the cigarettes (a little pack of 3-4 I think) - to show you how far back I go with MRE's. All I can remember was some big crackers in a tin, and a tin of something spam-like, and a P-38...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

MREs are fine gourmet dining compared to C-rations.
I lived on nothing but C-rats for nearly six weeks back in the day, and we were happy to have them. I was a smoker then, so even the cigarettes were welcome.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
But before the food situation got dire enough to break out the MREs, we'd send the Supply Officer and the lead cook out through one of the torpedo tubes...
Now that's an incentive to exceed expectations!