Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Meals away from home?
Zero to 1 24 21.62%
2 to 5 51 45.95%
5 to 10 23 20.72%
10 to 15 7 6.31%
More than 15 6 5.41%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Should we start another thread? Good thing we are not writing laws, which require unambiguous language.
I don't think I've ever done a poll here, but if I decide to, I plan on starting a thread first to wring out the selections, and then construct the poll, using that feedback. It's pretty rare to find a poll that doesn't end up with a lot of questions about what was meant, this doesn't fit that, etc.

I do not have NW-Bound's superior memory, but I think it was Midpack who got frustrated with all the critiques of a poll he put up, and attempted to make a simple one that said only "Did you answer this poll? __Yes __No".

I don't think he was amused when I answered "No", he expected the only valid answer to be "Yes". But I explained, at the time I was making the entry, I had not answered it yet, as to answer you need to hit the SUBMIT button. And once I did that, I was locked out of answering twice, so I could not go back honestly answer saying that I had answered the poll ("Did you" is past tense).

It's not easy.

edit/add: I think you mean laws should use unambiguous language. They often don't.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it was Midpack whose polls for a while were often questioned by posters asking for clarifications. I think they were just teasing.

At about that time, I made a tongue-in-cheek poll which was not at all related to Midpack's frustration with fastidious posters.

My poll asked: "Will the next word you say be 'no'?".

I was demonstrating that a paradox could be created by a simple question. If you reply "No" to my question, then your answer should have been a "Yes". And if you say "Yes", then the answer should have been "No".

The problem is not with the answerer, but with the question because it forces the answerer to contradict himself. I guess you can answer "Maybe" or something else, but then it still implies a "No".

I love mathematics for its preciseness. Mathematicians are extremely careful to ensure that their definitions do not create a built-in paradox. And mathematical properties and truths are always stated in concise and precise statements. Even legalese is too loosey-goosey when compared to the language of mathematics.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP here...
Am consulting with my legal advisor.
Goes to explain why the US Constitution is about 4500 words, and the recent TPP contains 800+ pages.

Original post was inspired by a short article that said the average adult "eats out" ten times a week. Couldn't find any substantiation so thought to ask the experts. I guess the "sandwiches" bit threw a curve. Inarticulate me was thinking Arbys or Walmart or store boughten kinds.

Certainly glad that the question wasn't "compare the per meal cost at home versus away".

... and, as to this:
Quote:
It's his poll............ He was pretty emphatic that he didn't mean only meals eaten in a restaurant but rather "away from home." Maybe he'll clarify one more time?
That was interesting... When I was looking to verify the "eats out"... every website seemed to refer to this as "restaurant meals"... not to include fast food etc. Mostly, the statistics from the BLS and other business based survey sites are based on full service, sit down restaurants. Thus my imprecise wording of "away from home".

Be careful... I have a son and a daughter in law who are both lawyers.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
When i'm on a job I am locked into a building 24 hrs a day for sometimes 2+ weeks straight.
What kind of job requires a person to be locked in a building for 2+ weeks straight if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I went with zero to 1 per the OP's instructions. We get take out pizza or chinese (or something similarly cheap) maybe once per week, but eat at home. We probably eat out 1-2x per month while we're living at home.

While traveling, we probably average eating out 5x per week. Most breakfasts at the rental house/hotel and maybe 1 lunch or dinner each day out of the house.

The only time we eat out a lot is when we are on a cruise (maybe 1 week per year on average). Then it's 21x per week. Or more honestly, 25-30x per week. Except sometimes it's just one long continuous grazing session all day.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My poll asked: "Will the next word you say be 'no'?".
But if it was a poll done on this website, the person wouldn't actually have to "say" (speak out loud) "yes" or "no" to answer the poll, they could just click to answer in which case they could answer "no" and be correct as long as the next word they "say" isn't no.....no? And of course they could answer "yes" and be correct also.....yes?
Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
But if it was a poll done on this website, the person wouldn't actually have to "say" (speak out loud) "yes" or "no" to answer the poll,...
Very good. As the response was not verbal, the answerer avoided contradicting himself.

I looked back at my thread, and the actual question in the poll was: "Is your answer to this question a No?". See: Poll: Yes or No?.

And earlier, I said that my poll was not related to Midpack's "Yes or No" poll, the one that ERD50 recalled earlier, but it was. So much for my superior memory!

See Midpack's poll here: Poll: Did you answer this poll?. Midpack intended that only one answer to the poll would not contradict itself, but then ERD50 raised the problem with the past tense of the word "did".
Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, I eat at least 10 meals a week away from home (breakfast + lunch) when at work but I brown bag so I'm not sure if it counts.

Dining out or take out is around 2-3 meals per month but we usually spend just around $40-100 per meal for a family of four. Less if you consider that leftovers become lunch/dinner for the next day or two.

While on vacation at Disney/Universal, the food budget is pretty high (~$50/day per person). While traveling in the Philippines, it was ~$10/day per person (~$1-5/meal per head) but we usually spent maybe half that.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

We eat out twice a week for dinner and because of huge portions we usually split one meal . I also have lunch out most fridays with my gal pals .
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Presumably, though, you were not paying for meals while deployed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Of course, I didn't count in deployments in which case I'd be in the 15+ range...
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I'm going off-topic here, on poll construction (and other things) rather than answering the poll itself, so you are forewarned, ignore if you wish ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
But if it was a poll done on this website, the person wouldn't actually have to "say" (speak out loud) "yes" or "no" to answer the poll,...
Very good. As the response was not verbal, the answerer avoided contradicting himself. ...
Something I've been fascinated with for a while now, is how different people respond when challenged. In the above example, you compliment the poster on discovering the hole in what you posted, recognizing that they were clever enough to catch this, and complimenting them on it. IMO, this is the best way to approach this.

If we look back at the other thread, when the contradiction is brought up to the OP, who obviously thought there was only one correct answer, and he had it, the response was to characterize the observation with:

Quote:
Determined killjoys aren't "we" Were you able to laugh before you started plotting? Sheeeeeeesh...
And it could perhaps be perceived as being a little cowardly, as they avoided directly quoting the poster they obviously were referring to. So instead of admitting that there was a flaw in their logic, and accepting that pointing it out could be considered humorous in itself (it's not like it was pointed out with a "you dummy!" or anything like that, and included a few references that indicated an attempt at humor - 'chopping down the cherry tree' and 'quantum mechanics'), they decide to disparage the poster as a 'killjoy' with no sense of humor, and a 'plotter' (of what, I do not know)! I guess we have to leave the interpretation of "Sheeeeeeesh..." up to the reader? But it does not sound complimentary to me.

Yes, I find that fascinating. What can I say?

-ERD50
Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Presumably, though, you were not paying for meals while deployed!
You presume wrong! As an officer, I get a subsistence allowance each month but it doesn't cover 21 weekly meals regardless of whether I'm deployed or not. When deployed, I have to pay for all three meals each day. Now, it's a lot cheaper to eat on a deployed ship than it is at home or (obviously) out, but the food quality is not... uh... good.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:46 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

No doubt, you must take along bottled lime juice to avoid scurvy. OK, done teasing. There is a reason why they call it a "mess."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Now, it's a lot cheaper to eat on a deployed ship than it is at home or (obviously) out, but the food quality is not... uh... good.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:49 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

And to think, one had always assumed that the desire to escape pettifoggery was a major reason why people long to ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm going off-topic here, on poll construction (and other things) rather than answering the poll itself, so you are forewarned, ignore if you wish ...

Something I've been fascinated with for a while now, is how different people respond when challenged. In the above example, you compliment the poster on discovering the hole in what you posted, recognizing that they were clever enough to catch this, and complimenting them on it. IMO, this is the best way to approach this.

If we look back at the other thread, when the contradiction is brought up to the OP, who obviously thought there was only one correct answer, and he had it, the response was to characterize the observation with:

And it could perhaps be perceived as being a little cowardly, as they avoided directly quoting the poster they obviously were referring to. So instead of admitting that there was a flaw in their logic, and accepting that pointing it out could be considered humorous in itself (it's not like it was pointed out with a "you dummy!" or anything like that, and included a few references that indicated an attempt at humor - 'chopping down the cherry tree' and 'quantum mechanics'), they decide to disparage the poster as a 'killjoy' with no sense of humor, and a 'plotter' (of what, I do not know)! I guess we have to leave the interpretation of "Sheeeeeeesh..." up to the reader? But it does not sound complimentary to me.

Yes, I find that fascinating. What can I say?

-ERD50
Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I'm on a mission to reduce my weight and salt intake as a proactive measure, so I am preparing and eating most meals at home. My gardening buddy is influencing me to eat better with more veggies, which I am growing.
I am also doing the foraging method...eat small portions over the course of a day versus eating a lot at one sitting. I trend toward Mediterranean style foods and preparation methods.
I am happily 10 lbs lighter than I was 2 years ago.

The downfall areas...
We both love Buffalo wings and pizza. Both are made at home. I bake the wings versus deep frying. We make killer thin crust NY style pizza.

Mr B will coax me into ordering out for fish fry (him) and fried scallops (me) with French fries and cole slaw on Fridays. Sometimes resistance is futile.

I get periodic urges for takeout Chinese, shrimp egg fu yung and fried dumplings, to be precise. He likes Italian mixed meat and meatball subs.

The good news...in spite of our cravings, we average 1 takeout and eat-at-home splurge a week.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When I'm at home, I rarely eat out except for social occasions, of which there are several each week. So let's say 2-5 meals out per week.

When I am traveling, of course I eat "out" while on the go. But on some of my trips I stay in suites with full kitchens, and on those trips I make my own meals whenever possible. On my last such vacation, I ate at least 60% of my meals "at home". So say 5-10 for the purposes of your poll.

Since I am at home a lot more than I am away, my guess would be approximately 5 meals per week "out" on average over the course of a year. Unfortunately the number 5 straddles two categories, so I am unable to vote!
This describes me perfectly, so count another non-vote from me.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And to think, one had always assumed that the desire to escape pettifoggery was a major reason why people long to ER.
You call it pettifoggery, I call it observing the human condition. I find it fascinating.

A guy's gotta have a hobby, right?

-ERD50
Old 07-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

About pettifoggery, a little bit is fun but we just have to keep from getting too involved in it.

Back on eating out, as said, we are not too interested in going out to have hamburger, steak, or Chinese fried rice that we can do at home. Occasionally I have an urge for things that take too much work at home or I cannot do myself, such as French duck confit, Chinese roast duck noodle soup, or Greek gyro meat.

At home, I often try dishes that would be tough to find a local restaurant that serves them. For example, for Father's Day I made Moroccan spiced grilled beef and everybody thought it was good. I am looking to do Portuguese Piri Piri grilled chicken next.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I eat breakfast and lunch "out" five days per week, i.e. at w*rk, but I bring the food from home.

In a "normal" week, I'll eat out, as in at a restaurant of some sort, maybe 2-3 times.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #60

I am eating out much less since I quit wor*king, but this probably isn't due to the fact that I quit working, but much more to do with that I moved and I don't have any friends here to socialize with yet. Anyway, one thing I've noticed is that I don't eat as much *undesirable* food (food at restaurants tends to be more salty/greasy/sweeter/carb-y to me...) or over stuff myself now that I hardly go out to eat. It's easier on the pocket book too. I still do eat occasional cr*ppy fast food if I am driving for errands and get hungery...