Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Measuring Threaded Female Things
Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Measuring Threaded Female Things

Hey, don't blame me for the provocative thread title. It's appropriate!

While installing our new range, I made a wasted trip to the hardware store, and this is why:

I measured the gas input threaded female "port" and determined that it was larger than half-inch:

Turns out, it did indeed mate with a half-inch adapter. Perhaps "half-inch" refers to the inner diameter?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Click bait alert!
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

WARNING: Things are often smaller than they appear to be.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I run into this all the time with reloading stuff, where a difference if a thousandth of an inch can make a real difference. A pair of digital calipers can help a lot.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #5

Hmmm.....only another half-inch?

candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

Actually, in the case of pipe size, the stated size is "nominal". Depending on the pipe size and wall thickness it may not match either the inside or outside diameter. In smaller size pipe, the OD is always greater than the nominal size.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Well I'm disappointed I clicked on this thread
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

Size matters.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Actually, in the case of pipe size, the stated size is "nominal". Depending on the pipe size and wall thickness it may not match either the inside or outside diameter. In smaller size pipe, the OD is always greater than the nominal size.
So how do you get the right size from the store? Buy various sizes and return the ones that don't work? I agree with OP, That doesn't look like 1/2 inch. I would have bought 3/4.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pipe is done by the inside diameter. But even then you have different thread types and fine vs coarse. For nuts and bolts you can get a plastic template or something like a giant keyring with small threaded segments/nuts to test the real part to know what the thread is. Never seen that for pipe before but you could make a test board like they often have in the plumbing sections of the hardware store.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
So how do you get the right size from the store? Buy various sizes and return the ones that don't work? I agree with OP, That doesn't look like 1/2 inch. I would have bought 3/4.
^This^
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Pipe is done by the inside diameter. .....
ding-ding-ding - winner!

I too was confused about this for a long time, until you realize that the way they do it makes perfect sense. If you have a 1/2" pipe, you never want the flow cross-section diameter to go below 1/2". So the threaded parts associated with 1/2" pipe will always be quite a bit larger than 1/2". They need to account for wall size, threads, etc.

And that carries over to non-threaded adapters ("couplers") for copper pipe for example - the coupler's ID will be a fit to the OD of the copper pipe. If the coupler fit on the inside, it would restrict the pipe to less than 1/2".

And earlier it was mentioned these are nominal sizes, I think generally 1/2" is just a bit larger, to allow for tolerances and still not be < 1/2" (or whatever size you are dealing with).

Solid metal rods and "tubing" (versus pipe) are the opposite - the OD is what matters, and they might spec a wall thickness (which in turn sets the ID).

So, specific to the OP picture/question: "Turns out, it did indeed mate with a half-inch adapter. Perhaps "half-inch" refers to the inner diameter? " Yes, the ID of the male part should be ~ 1/2", so female ID needs to be large enough to accommodate all the wall thickness I mentioned. Is that what you found?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #13

My easily successful DIY jobs are far outnumbered by the multiple-attempts jobs. To try to minimize the latter, I learned one thing a long time ago. To wit, despite my best good faith measurement efforts, I buy different sizes and later return the ones that don't fit.
BTW, loved the thread title.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
ding-ding-ding - winner!

I too was confused about this for a long time, until you realize that the way they do it makes perfect sense. If you have a 1/2" pipe, you never want the flow cross-section diameter to go below 1/2". So the threaded parts associated with 1/2" pipe will always be quite a bit larger than 1/2". They need to account for wall size, threads, etc.

And that carries over to non-threaded adapters ("couplers") for copper pipe for example - the coupler's ID will be a fit to the OD of the copper pipe. If the coupler fit on the inside, it would restrict the pipe to less than 1/2".

And earlier it was mentioned these are nominal sizes, I think generally 1/2" is just a bit larger, to allow for tolerances and still not be < 1/2" (or whatever size you are dealing with).

Solid metal rods and "tubing" (versus pipe) are the opposite - the OD is what matters, and they might spec a wall thickness (which in turn sets the ID).

So, specific to the OP picture/question: "Turns out, it did indeed mate with a half-inch adapter. Perhaps "half-inch" refers to the inner diameter? " Yes, the ID of the male part should be ~ 1/2", so female ID needs to be large enough to accommodate all the wall thickness I mentioned. Is that what you found?

-ERD50
Here is a handy chart, showing OD, ID, and thread count for various sizes of standard wall (schedule 40) NPT (National Pipe Thread) pipe
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/a...pes-d_305.html

This one shows the variation in wall thickness and ID, depending on the schedule
http://www.tiogapipe.com/assets/files/pipe-chart.pdf

For each size pipe, the OD is constant. Only the ID and wall thickness vary based on the pressure rating.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm more confused by Al's ruler than the problem at hand. Never seen one like that!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm more confused by Al's ruler than the problem at hand. Never seen one like that!
I am more afraid with him doing gas piping not knowing pipe sizing or thread style. If he uses a flare adaptor thinking its a pipe thread, it will leak. Yikes!
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it's internal pipe size. The OD of a half inch pipe is bigger than three quarters.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
I am more afraid with him doing gas piping not knowing pipe sizing or thread style. If he uses a flare adaptor thinking its a pipe thread, it will leak. Yikes!
+1, with all due respect!

Are you using pipe dope? Is it dope or tape specifically approved for gas?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
This thread indicates why plumbers have secure jobs.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Administrator

A thread about threading threads?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote