Join Early Retirement Today

Measuring Tire Pressure
Old 06-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Measuring Tire Pressure

I have been using a simple 2" analog gauge with a short straight "tube" termination with elastomer fitting for many years. I like the straight (no angle) connection since it seemed to make an easier connection than the
cheaper "pencil type" gauges with an angle at the end which , for me at least,
tended to leak air initially until a good seal was made.

Now after many years, I seem to have more trouble making that initial seal without getting that leaking of air. Is there some secret to making the measurement w/o getting that air leaking? Or is it possible after many years of sitting in the glove compartment, the elastomer seal has hardened or changed in some way so that it is less forgiving in making that seal.

Any suggestions for a new gauge? I seem to have a bias against having an
angle at the end because of my early experiences but maybe I shouldn't
eliminate that possibility.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

When I was racing cars, I bought a good one. I think its a longacre that allows you to bleed air and has a hose with standard air fill valve on the end. Any of these gauges can be used without air escaping, but it take some practice.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the pencil type are useless. I've never had one that doesn't leak out air big time. I top off the air in my car's tires every couple of months with a cordless portable (somewhat) inflator so usually depend on the tire pressure of the inflator.

But in my emergency toolbox, I do carry a manual tire pressure gauge which is dependable and doesn't leak air with each test.

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-...pressure+gauge

I added a protective cover to the gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89590-...ZF5WYWXBHMGV6J

Gauge and hose is a bit large, but effective.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think the pencil type are useless. I've never had one that doesn't leak out air big time.
That's been my experience too. I buy a new dial gauge about every five years or so figuring the seals inside and out, and the tube that bends with pressure, will harden with time. I check the tires once a month in the morning when they're stone cold. Just varying ambient temperature can make the truck's tire pressure vary by eight psi or so from summer to winter, but they have a lot of volume in them.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's been my experience too. I buy a new dial gauge about every five years or so figuring the seals inside and out, and the tube that bends with pressure, will harden with time. I check the tires once a month in the morning when they're stone cold. Just varying ambient temperature can make the truck's tire pressure vary by eight psi or so from summer to winter, but they have a lot of volume in them.
My current car has a tire pressure sensor monitoring, so if the PSI drops too low, I will know. Yet, the pressure has to drop a lot before triggering the sensor notification. I still like to do the top off every couple of months.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My current car has a tire pressure sensor monitoring, so if the PSI drops too low, I will know. Yet, the pressure has to drop a lot before triggering the sensor notification. I still like to do the top off every couple of months.
My car has the same thing for the oil level. When the red light comes on, I add a few quarts.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
This is mandated by the government. Most manufacturers use the 25% loss of recommended placard pressure to trip the light but they are allowed to use a more restrictive pressure if they like.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...nalrule.6.html

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
The one time the trouble light came on on my Subaru Outback, the pressure was 26psi in the bad tire. I think the light is great when you have a nail or something producing a leak but I wouldn't like to run it for months and months with a sustained very slow leak with low pressures in that range. The topping off is probably a good thing to do esp if you don't monitor it.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

Thanks all for the info on your experiences and recommendations for specific products. I take it there is no magic contact method....screw-on or clamp-on method that guarantees no leakage so it is still a bit of a personal art form.
Today was much better than yesterday.........seems like I have less of a problem when the value is in the upper 180 position instead of the bottom
half. Maybe I'll chalk it up to operator error so I can postpone buying a new gauge.......tho hardening of the elastomer is still on my mind tho.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've never used a screw on or clamp-on for a tire gauge but have used those methods with portable tire inflators. The screw on gives a tight seal, but there is a bit if air leakage depending on how fast you can unscrew to connection. For my current inflator, I replaced the crappy weak chuck that came with the inflator with a nice clamp on chuck that hold tight.

The Moroso gauge I use now gives an air tight seal. But the hose is a bit larger and stiffer then some may want. I really like the gauge for the non leaking seal without any fussing around.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
I've never used a screw on or clamp-on for a tire gauge but have used those methods with portable tire inflators. The screw on gives a tight seal, but there is a bit if air leakage depending on how fast you can unscrew to connection. For my current inflator, I replaced the crappy weak chuck that came with the inflator with a nice clamp on chuck that hold tight.

The Moroso gauge I use now gives an air tight seal. But the hose is a bit larger and stiffer then some may want. I really like the gauge for the non leaking seal without any fussing around.
What makes the seal so good? and any idiot can make it work the same as you? or is there still some technique /art involved?
Old 06-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My car has the same thing for the oil level. When the red light comes on, I add a few quarts.
My car has an alert system for parking too close to the wall, when the big white airbag comes out it's too close
Old 06-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
What makes the seal so good? and any idiot can make it work the same as you? or is there still some technique /art involved?
I think what makes the Moroso seal good is that there is no real special technique/art involved. I just hold the nozzle onto the tire valve and that fits perfectly.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #14

I use a round dial type of air pressure device

Looks a lot like this one and was the same cost. So cheap that I don't feel bad if the seal gets old. I tested/compared it to my old one that started to under-read the pressure and am happy with the results.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/100...4&op_sharpen=1
Old 06-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:
I think what makes the Moroso seal good is that there is no real special technique/art involved. I just hold the nozzle onto the tire valve and that fits perfectly.
That does sound like the seal is very forgiving. What I was wondering was if you had some thoughts as to why it's so forgiving.....extra soft /thick seal or something else.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That does sound like the seal is very forgiving. What I was wondering was if you had some thoughts as to why it's so forgiving.....extra soft /thick seal or something else.
I say, the seal is forgiving because unlike some other gauges I've tried, there is virtual no slippage when connecting to nozzle. Some take some positioning to reach seal, and by that point some air is already lost.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #17

Quote:
I say, the seal is forgiving because unlike some other gauges I've tried, there is virtual no slippage when connecting to nozzle. Some take some positioning to reach seal, and by that point some air is already lost.
Are you saying that the diameter of the input into the gauge is smaller than the usual (closer to the size of tire valve stem) so that there is less slop side-to-side?)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you saying that the diameter of the input into the gauge is smaller than the usual (closer to the size of tire valve stem) so that there is less slop side-to-side?)
I really haven't done any measuring and comparing of diameters. With this discussion, I may have dig out the gauge from my emergency box and take a look. From feel alone, there really isn't any shifting going around to get a good fit, like on others.

I do have a gauge similar to one you have. I think the Moroso does a better job in getting the position right because of what I mentioned above, also because I'm just positioning the nozzle (I just push, and see the reading, not having to get prepared for lost of air) and not the dial. That's in my other hand.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #19

Geeze, and I thought that hitting the tire with the tire iron and guessing the pressure by the rebound was close enough.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, I went ahead and did some measuring and picture taking. Easier to explain with pictures .

One picture shows my Moroso gauge vs next to a typical 2 inch gauge. The other shows the inner diameter of the Moroso, then the typical. As for measurements, the inner diameters both are about 8mm. The outer of the Moroso is made up of hard plastic. Notice that the Moroso has a wider part that presses against the "release thingy" which releases the air.
Also, the Morso goes in deeper than the smaller gauge in this example. Overall, there is just very little movement once the Moroso is pushed to get a reading.

With the pictures you also get a reference of size difference between the gauges.

As I mentioned, the Moroso is my #2 and kept in my emergency toolbox in the car. I keep it though as I like the no air loss, though the size is a bit clunky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moroso vs regular.JPG (89.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg moroso nozzle.JPG (58.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg regular nozzle.JPG (72.7 KB, 14 views)