Measuring Tire Pressure

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been using a simple 2" analog gauge with a short straight "tube" termination with elastomer fitting for many years. I like the straight (no angle) connection since it seemed to make an easier connection than the
cheaper "pencil type" gauges with an angle at the end which , for me at least,
tended to leak air initially until a good seal was made.

Now after many years, I seem to have more trouble making that initial seal without getting that leaking of air. Is there some secret to making the measurement w/o getting that air leaking? Or is it possible after many years of sitting in the glove compartment, the elastomer seal has hardened or changed in some way so that it is less forgiving in making that seal.

Any suggestions for a new gauge? I seem to have a bias against having an
angle at the end because of my early experiences but maybe I shouldn't
eliminate that possibility.

When I was racing cars, I bought a good one. I think its a longacre that allows you to bleed air and has a hose with standard air fill valve on the end. Any of these gauges can be used without air escaping, but it take some practice.

I think the pencil type are useless. I've never had one that doesn't leak out air big time. I top off the air in my car's tires every couple of months with a cordless portable (somewhat) inflator so usually depend on the tire pressure of the inflator.

But in my emergency toolbox, I do carry a manual tire pressure gauge which is dependable and doesn't leak air with each test.

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560...8-1-spell&keywords=moreso+tire+pressure+gauge

I added a protective cover to the gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89590...263_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=NVHM73ZF5WYWXBHMGV6J

Gauge and hose is a bit large, but effective.

I think the pencil type are useless. I've never had one that doesn't leak out air big time.

That's been my experience too. I buy a new dial gauge about every five years or so figuring the seals inside and out, and the tube that bends with pressure, will harden with time. I check the tires once a month in the morning when they're stone cold. Just varying ambient temperature can make the truck's tire pressure vary by eight psi or so from summer to winter, but they have a lot of volume in them.

That's been my experience too. I buy a new dial gauge about every five years or so figuring the seals inside and out, and the tube that bends with pressure, will harden with time. I check the tires once a month in the morning when they're stone cold. Just varying ambient temperature can make the truck's tire pressure vary by eight psi or so from summer to winter, but they have a lot of volume in them.

My current car has a tire pressure sensor monitoring, so if the PSI drops too low, I will know. Yet, the pressure has to drop a lot before triggering the sensor notification. I still like to do the top off every couple of months.

My current car has a tire pressure sensor monitoring, so if the PSI drops too low, I will know. Yet, the pressure has to drop a lot before triggering the sensor notification. I still like to do the top off every couple of months.
My car has the same thing for the oil level. When the red light comes on, I add a few quarts.

This is mandated by the government. Most manufacturers use the 25% loss of recommended placard pressure to trip the light but they are allowed to use a more restrictive pressure if they like.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tpmsfinalrule.6/tpmsfinalrule.6.html

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

The one time the trouble light came on on my Subaru Outback, the pressure was 26psi in the bad tire. I think the light is great when you have a nail or something producing a leak but I wouldn't like to run it for months and months with a sustained very slow leak with low pressures in that range. The topping off is probably a good thing to do esp if you don't monitor it.

Thanks all for the info on your experiences and recommendations for specific products. I take it there is no magic contact method....screw-on or clamp-on method that guarantees no leakage so it is still a bit of a personal art form.
Today was much better than yesterday.........seems like I have less of a problem when the value is in the upper 180 position instead of the bottom
half. Maybe I'll chalk it up to operator error so I can postpone buying a new gauge.......tho hardening of the elastomer is still on my mind tho.

I've never used a screw on or clamp-on for a tire gauge but have used those methods with portable tire inflators. The screw on gives a tight seal, but there is a bit if air leakage depending on how fast you can unscrew to connection. For my current inflator, I replaced the [-]crappy[/-] weak chuck that came with the inflator with a nice clamp on chuck that hold tight.

The Moroso gauge I use now gives an air tight seal. But the hose is a bit larger and stiffer then some may want. I really like the gauge for the non leaking seal without any fussing around.

I've never used a screw on or clamp-on for a tire gauge but have used those methods with portable tire inflators. The screw on gives a tight seal, but there is a bit if air leakage depending on how fast you can unscrew to connection. For my current inflator, I replaced the [-]crappy[/-] weak chuck that came with the inflator with a nice clamp on chuck that hold tight.

The Moroso gauge I use now gives an air tight seal. But the hose is a bit larger and stiffer then some may want. I really like the gauge for the non leaking seal without any fussing around.

What makes the seal so good? and any idiot can make it work the same as you? or is there still some technique /art involved?

What makes the seal so good? and any idiot can make it work the same as you? or is there still some technique /art involved?

I think what makes the Moroso seal good is that there is no real special technique/art involved. I just hold the nozzle onto the tire valve and that fits perfectly.

Last edited:
I think what makes the Moroso seal good is that there is no real special technique/art involved. I just hold the nozzle onto the tire valve and that fits perfectly.

That does sound like the seal is very forgiving. What I was wondering was if you had some thoughts as to why it's so forgiving.....extra soft /thick seal or something else.

That does sound like the seal is very forgiving. What I was wondering was if you had some thoughts as to why it's so forgiving.....extra soft /thick seal or something else.

I say, the seal is forgiving because unlike some other gauges I've tried, there is virtual no slippage when connecting to nozzle. Some take some positioning to reach seal, and by that point some air is already lost.

I say, the seal is forgiving because unlike some other gauges I've tried, there is virtual no slippage when connecting to nozzle. Some take some positioning to reach seal, and by that point some air is already lost.

Are you saying that the diameter of the input into the gauge is smaller than the usual (closer to the size of tire valve stem) so that there is less slop side-to-side?)

Are you saying that the diameter of the input into the gauge is smaller than the usual (closer to the size of tire valve stem) so that there is less slop side-to-side?)

I really haven't done any measuring and comparing of diameters. With this discussion, I may have dig out the gauge from my emergency box and take a look. From feel alone, there really isn't any shifting going around to get a good fit, like on others.

I do have a gauge similar to one you have. I think the Moroso does a better job in getting the position right because of what I mentioned above, also because I'm just positioning the nozzle (I just push, and see the reading, not having to get prepared for lost of air) and not the dial. That's in my other hand.

Geeze, and I thought that hitting the tire with the tire iron and guessing the pressure by the rebound was close enough.:D

Okay, I went ahead and did some measuring and picture taking. Easier to explain with pictures :).

One picture shows my Moroso gauge vs next to a typical 2 inch gauge. The other shows the inner diameter of the Moroso, then the typical. As for measurements, the inner diameters both are about 8mm. The outer of the Moroso is made up of hard plastic. Notice that the Moroso has a wider part that presses against the "release thingy" :D which releases the air.
Also, the Morso goes in deeper than the smaller gauge in this example. Overall, there is just very little movement once the Moroso is pushed to get a reading.

With the pictures you also get a reference of size difference between the gauges.

As I mentioned, the Moroso is my #2 and kept in my emergency toolbox in the car. I keep it though as I like the no air loss, though the size is a bit clunky.

Attachments

• moroso vs regular.JPG
    moroso vs regular.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 19
  • moroso nozzle.JPG
    moroso nozzle.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
  • regular nozzle.JPG
    regular nozzle.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
easysurfer........I was just wondering how many of our thousand words we had used up..... I greatly appreciate the time& effort spent to educate me ! Thanks. I see what you mean about the wider central part. Trying to understand how that would help.
The standard gauge you show looks very similar to mine....coloring,size, and the red lettering on the bottom. Mine sez Acugage in red.....couldn't make out what yours is
called. Does that standard gauge have a bevel where it connect to the valve? Kind of looks like it in the pic.....mine doesn't. Anyway, thanks again and I appreciate your
pictorial skills.

easysurfer........I was just wondering how many of our thousand words we had used up..... I greatly appreciate the time& effort spent to educate me ! Thanks. I see what you mean about the wider central part. Trying to understand how that would help.
The standard gauge you show looks very similar to mine....coloring,size, and the red lettering on the bottom. Mine sez Acugage in red.....couldn't make out what yours is
called. Does that standard gauge have a bevel where it connect to the valve? Kind of looks like it in the pic.....mine doesn't. Anyway, thanks again and I appreciate your
pictorial skills.

I think the wider central part, and that the nozzle goes in deeper, plus gripping the nozzle all make the Moroso good at not leaking any air. When I do a pressure read, I only hear a puff of air leaving when first inserting. After that, no air leaks out.

I think we might have the same regular one as mine says Acugage also (not sure what you mean by the bevel). I got that from Sears for about $5 or $10 several years ago. My success with the Acugage is hit or miss (similar to you) in that sometimes I'd get a good seal, other times I'd lose a few PSI which was frustrating enough to go for the Moroso, before now using a digital cordless inflator (with replaced chuck) that has automatic shut off when the set PSI is reached.

Glad the pictures are helpful.

Last edited:
My Number 1 Gamer

Moving off topic a bit, but here is a picture of my cordless inflator that I use to do the air pressure top offs. I removed the [-]crappy[/-] cheap plastic chuck that came with the inflator and replaced with a nice clip on brass chuck that clips on tightly to the tire valve stem. I just set the PSI to what I want, then let the inflator do the rest. :D

I use a smaller Craftsman drill type cordless inflator (PSI gauge broken on that inflator) and the Moreso gauge in my car for emergencies.

Attachments

• number 1.jpg
    number 1.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The one time the trouble light came on on my Subaru Outback, the pressure was 26psi in the bad tire. I think the light is great when you have a nail or something producing a leak but I wouldn't like to run it for months and months with a sustained very slow leak with low pressures in that range. The topping off is probably a good thing to do esp if you don't monitor it.
What information you get depends on the make of the Car GM tends to put full tire pressure gauges in so that you can check the pressure and decide to add some air if needed. It is also interesting to observe the different pressures depending on the outside temp. With this observation I add air in the fall as temps get lower.

Back
Top Bottom