Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
It's hard to have a strict rule on a time because food are so different. 4 days okay I'll eat this swine but I probably wouldn't do that with something like shellfish.

The one thing I'm weird on is milk, for some reason since it has a date printed on it I have trouble drinking it after that date even if it passes the sniff test. In fact I suspect I'd drink milk at 11:30 pm that would expire the next day but would require great mental strength to do so a half hour later.

Let's take this thread to a different angle:

What's the most sick you've ever gotten from something you ate?
I don't remember ever getting sick from something I ate (other than the occasional indigestion after overindulging my fondness for fatty foods). I leave quite a few things in the fridge for 5-7 days after they have been properly cooked and as long as it smells fine and looks fine, I'll eat it. If a piece of bread has some mold on it, I just remove the moldy area and eat the rest. I also eat eggs when they are way past their expiration date too (cooked of course). If you have ever smelled rotten eggs, then you'll know immediately whether those eggs are still good or not. But, like you, I am extremely finicky about milk. I do not drink milk past the expiration date. The faintest sour smell or curd in old milk is enough to make me wanna puke.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Let's take this thread to a different angle:

What's the most sick you've ever gotten from something you ate?
Of all the weird places I've eaten, I only had one case of food poisoning ever. That would be a TacoBell outside of San Clemente CA. Was driving my motorhome when I stopped for a snack. About 2 Hrs later on the freeway to LA, had to pull over, hang out the side in the stairwell, donating one snack to the highway dept.. A highway patrol pulled up to check on the MH by the roadside, I had enough energy to say TacoBell, the cops laughed and said they'll be back to check in an hour.

Mercifully could wash up, clean up move out before the hour was up. Never been in a TacoBell since.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I think different people have different tolerances for food cooties. I am a little sick in the guts right now- I think from eating raw oysters downtown. When I used to have most of my oysters at home I usually broiled them, but since I have been eating them on the go a meal of cooked oysters costs 3-5 times as much as rawfers in an oyster bar. Also, I have become a little addicted to the raw ones- I love the smell, I love the way they feel when my tongue first touches the soft flesh.

But this tummy ache may stop that pleasure for me. At least until I forget it. I did get hep A shots.

I wish there were a shot to protect against the all the risks of every pleasure.

Ha
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've got two great episodes that stand out in my mind:

I once found some tuna sandwich mixture (tuna/mayo) in the fridge that I thought was the new batch I had made, but was in fact the batch from before that which had been pushed to the back to fester. I knew something was wrong about two hours later, was wishing for death later that day. That's sickest I've ever been in my life I was literally laying in bed doubled over with my toes curled in pain. I threw up until all that was coming out was a thin yellow liquid every time.

Second was some fish I had in Vietnam a couple years ago. I lived in Thailand for several years as a boy so am pretty hardy for SE Asian food bacteria but that knocked me down for about several days, too much detail alert = I was actually using the shower as a toilet with me in it because I was too weak to move back and forth from it. Terrible times that, and we flew on a plane from there (Danang) to Hanoi a couple days later what a miserable plane ride.

Argghhh. Now I just want some white bread.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back in my mega corp days I was on a flight to CA ... dinner had a salad that looked a little "off"; but what else is there to eat? So I eat it. 20 minutes later I am in a cold sweat wondering if I can hold it down. I get up to hit the bathroom ... the LINE was half way down the plane! Sat in the seat - eyes closed - barf bag in hand for another 30 minutes. It passed.

That food sat in the sun on the tar-mat a little too long.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #26

I haven't been that sick from food, ever. Maybe a little GI upset, passes in half a day or so, no biggie.

My pre-schoolers, on the other hand, have given me some nasty bugs, that's for sure.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit, I wouldn't eat it that far out. But looks like I'm in the minority. Just be sure you have lot's of toilet tissue handy.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I would eat it. As someone said, I've never got sick eating something out of my own fridge. I would heat it good though.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm wondering if any of the wise people here have an opinion on whether bone-in pork that was fully defrosted on Saturday and cooked on Sunday will still be okay to eat on Thursday?
When in doubt, THROW IT OUT.

No, I would not eat it on Thursday. Depending various factors I think there could be a significant (though probably less than 50%) chance that you would get sick. Getting sick from eating spoiled food is bad enough that it's not worth the risk.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

W2R, your advice was not timely.

Tiuxiu's post was on 3/25. He has just made some posts today (4/05). Apparently, he enjoyed the ribs without ill effects.

Frugality wins once more.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Tiuxiu's post was on 3/25. He has just made some posts today (4/05). Apparently, he enjoyed the ribs without ill effects.

I once read, Russian Roulette is not a good idea, even if the gun has 999 empties and one live one.

Ha
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I missed the dates on this thread too. I still wouldn't have eaten it.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I missed the dates on this thread too. I still wouldn't have eaten it.
I noticed the dates (I did! I know it's awfully early but honest I did! ), but since there were several posts on the thread discussing it yesterday I figured the thread was still alive.

Besides, if he kept it until Thursday maybe he kept it longer and is planning to eat it later.

Ha said it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I once read, Russian Roulette is not a good idea, even if the gun has 999 empties and one live one.

Ha

Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
None of our foods are free of 'live ones.' That's why we have immune systems. Of course, not saying we should all be eating three-day-old seafood chowder that spent its first twelve hours at room temperature.... I think the goal to to keep the 'live ones' at a minimum. But I still stand by my three-day to four-day rule, especially if the food was promptly and properly cooled to below 40 degrees F.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

More importantly...is the food still in the frig?
If so, we'll need pics of the undiscovered "science project" that has been developing in the back of the 2nd shelf.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have occasionally cut the blue spots out of the bacon.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
More importantly...is the food still in the frig?
If so, we'll need pics of the undiscovered "science project" that has been developing in the back of the 2nd shelf.
Oh I have had left over baked beans in the refrig for months. Broke a couple of chisels trying to get the darn things out of the dish.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

All right, we have some momentum...
I brought some sourdough starter powdered mix back from my Alaska cruise. Being a rocket scientist and all, I figured this would be a piece of cake to follow the directions and maintain a small batch of sourdough starter in the frig. I already had the breadmaker on hand.
So I mixed it up, made some really great sourdough bread, and put a small amount in the frig for next time.
Tick tock tick tock...a few weeks go by and I realize I haven't looked at the mix for a while.
OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG That was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen or smelled.
Sigh....a biologist I am not.
Neeeeeeext ?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I had 50 pounds of chicken, fish, and shrimp in my freezer when I evacuated for Hurricane Katrina. It was so bad when I got back (in 90+ degree heat for five days with no electricity), that they should have made my kitchen a Superfund site. The refrigerator was a total loss and went out to the curb like everyone else's.

It took three months but finally I was able to have Sears deliver a beautiful new black top freezer refrigerator. I love my new refrigerator so much and never, ever want it to contain anything spoiled.

The trash can is right by the refrigerator, and if anything looks less than perfect, out it goes!