Join Early Retirement Today

Meat smokers?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Meat smokers?

So I've been using an el cheapo "bullet" electric water smoker for years and its about time to get a new one since the old one is getting a little disgusting and they're pretty tough to clean.

My FIL also is interested in one.

Not looking to spend a brazillion dollars...I use it about five-six times a year and he might use it a couple of times and then shove it in the shed.

I figured one of the stainless interior "box" style smokers might be a better choice, although many of them seem to be $300-1000.

I saw the Kenmore Pro electric for $149. I might go over to the store and look at it tomorrow.

Anyone else got an easy to clean, easy to use electric unit thats under $200? I've fiddled with the wood and charcoal models and they were a pain in the patookis. The electric one was just way easier to use.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

We have a stainless steel one that my So bought online . It's electric and a pain to clean especially since he's a redneck and smokes the turkey gizzards . Uck !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You clean your smoker?

I have an old brinkman electric bullet. I don't bother cleaning it, I just buy new grates for it every summer. I do about 5-6 briskets, 8 slabs of baby backs, and a couple fish on it every summer. Did a side of salmon yesterday that came out just great.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The one I have is like this:

After using it and letting it sit, theres a quarter inch of rancid fat in the bottom and a nice layer of some not so good smelling stuff all over the inside.

I can open the bottom to clean it, but you have to take out about 15 screws, remove the element and the bottom plate, then scrape.

The only good way I found to easily clean it is to take a blow torch to the whole thing and burn it off. The smoker itself cant reach a high enough internal temperature to get the job done.

Otherwise, for about an hour after you turn it on it smells pretty bad. Thats not good eats.

I figured one of the box ones with the easy clean interior wouldnt get quite as nasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker.JPG (20.7 KB, 2 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my Brinkmann electric bullet. I don't need a screwdriver to pull the element and change the rocks, though.

I have smoked turkeys, briskets, and ribs on it, but only about once a year. We cook 4-5 times a week, normally chicken or fish with the element section sitting on top, right below the meat. It's awesome for those foods; perfectly grilled chicken every time with no burning. It does not get hot enough to sear the fat on a steak, so that's the drawback, but if you're lowering cholestrol the natural way....

Last year, it was still $50 bucks at Walmart when I gave my parents one. I need a new element about once a year, so I keep a spare, $35, clicky-clicky on the internet and it appears behind me on the front porch two days later. That still amazes me.

Also, if you cook on it regular, it doesn't rust and the rocks or fake briquets will self-clean.
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have been using a Brinkmann electric water smoker for years with no smell problems. I always use the water tray and have to clean that but drippings never get down on the electric grid and rocks. The sides of the thing are a bit dark but it doesn't smell.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have the Smoke'N Grill double electric. You lift the entire smoking section off the grid section so it is easy to get at the rocks/grid.

Edit: Thanks for bringing this up. It reminded me to order some new lava rocks. Mine were somewhat depleted. :-)
Old 05-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Rocks? Mine lifts off as well, but the bottom part has a reflective disk that covers it and that has a hole in the middle and a notch about the size of a little fingernail. Thats screwed to the bottom 'dish', the element is attached to that, etc. Most of the gunk ends up in my water pan too but the water pan has about an inch gap between its edge and the sides of the smoker. No lava rocks involved though...

The other thing that happens with this is that its a great condensation device. About once a week I have to take the top off and pour water out of the bottom of the lower section. Leaving the top off solves that, but then it turns into a spider den. I didnt use it for about six weeks once, popped the top and had three black widows hanging around in there.

Hmmm...smoked black widow anyone?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The one I have is like this:

After using it and letting it sit, theres a quarter inch of rancid fat in the bottom and a nice layer of some not so good smelling stuff all over the inside.

I can open the bottom to clean it, but you have to take out about 15 screws, remove the element and the bottom plate, then scrape.
This is why I love the Brinkman. The base isn't connected at all to the body, the body just rests on the base.

In the bottom there is the heating element, on top of which I put hickory hunks usually, and then above that on the middle shelf I put a disposable foil pan to collect fat. Plenty of smoke still hits the meat (enough for a good smoke ring) and the cleanup involves throwing the pan out and cleaning the grate that the meat rests on.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, mine is setup the same way, lid, body with hangers for a water pan and two grill racks. In fact, mine might be a brinkman or be made by them.

Never tried a foil pan to catch drips, but then the only times I use the smoker is when I have it jammed full of stuff. I usually have ribs, a brisket and a pork shoulder in there or a couple of chickens, and sometimes add some shrimp or scallops for the last little bit of cooking.

Not a lot of room for a drip pan...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like Saluki and I may have the same version. Mine is a relatively cheap model. The bottom section holds lava rocks with a heater element that sits on top. You place the soaked wood chips right on the element. The water tray sits on clips under the lowest rack on the top half so drippings end up in the water tray, not on the elements. Mine will get water logged if I leave it outside but I keep it in the garage where it stays dry.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Another electric bullet non-cleaner here. Reasonably satisfied.

What about those L'il Chief types -- they any good?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you guys have rocks in the bottom while mine has this fixed reflective disk that I guess is supposed to increase heat reflection upwards. The lava rocks would also capture and hold heat pretty well and absorb a lot of the grease, but need periodic replacement.

Hmmm...

Well I'll go over to sears and look at that box smoker, see what I see.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My old man is pretty happy with his Masterbilt. Now they've added a vent and some other nice feature, that his didn't have.

Mine is a Bradley, but not this stainless one, just black. I'm happy with it, and now they've added an digital readout for temperature, as opposed to the 3" slider bar, to take you from 100-300 F or whatever, which was a pain to get adjusted. The drip tray goes into the water pan, "making cleanup a breeze".

The Bradley has the Bisquettes to create smoke, which is kind of a racket, to me. But, since I only smoke meat a couple times a year, it's just as easy as tryin' to hunt down a bag of maple chips or whatever. One Bisquette lasts 20 min. or so, so a pack of 48 for $20 lasts a long time. And, you can buy the 120-pack or some ungodly number for cheaper (per unit). I've seen them in "pick your local warehouse" club, or Lowe's or Home Depot or somewhere once in awhile. The used Bisquettes fall into the water pan which sits on the bottom, under the heating element.

4 racks, I think? I put 4 large salmon fillets in there, and still had a rack left.

If I had to buy another one, I don't think I'd change my choice, I got this one for my birthday two years ago, and the only better option is the digital temp. readout. The nice part with the Bisquettes is that you can do the cold smoking, walk away, do the hot smoking and walk away, etc.

Edit: Here's the Bisquettes.

-CC
Meat Smoker
Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Meat Smoker

Check out your local thrift store or online classifieds. Like this one for 50 bucks, new. Meco Model 5030 Electric Grill and Combination Water Smoker
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Well I dropped by sears and looked at it, and I like it. I also saw a Brinkman during my hardware store travels this afternoon. The brinkman is the same as what I have, except the bottom is open and easier to clean.

The kenmore electric looks good because it has dual wall construction (will help on windy or cooler days), the door allows access to four grates of food directly (my old bullet smoker required that you take one grill out to access the one below), the interior is a shiny stainless steel like easy wipe surface, the water and smoke tray slides out independently and doesnt require removing the cooking grates first to access it, and the bottom has a slope to the center with a hole and a drip cup for the grease that hangs underneath. It can be removed and dumped during use without opening the door.

So I think I might try it and see how things go. Other than digital temperature control, it seems to be similar to some other electric box smokers I've seen that were twice the price.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Picked them up yesterday and have one put together. Sprayed it all over with a little PAM and have it curing its paint out in the driveway.

Very pleased with it so far, I'll be trying some food in it tomorrow. Seems its temp range is good for 0-~275 although if I put it right out in the direct sun when its 100 out I'll bet it'll hit 325-340.

The grease draining system works well providing you keep the unit level. I sprayed about 3tbs of pam in it and got about 2tbs in the drip cup at the bottom about a half hour after turning on the heat.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #18

I have a smoker that I built years ago using 2 55 gal barrells. Bottom is the fire box with 2 vents coming up into the top. If I had my way I would buy a smoker by Dave Klose in Houston. You can to a search and find his site. Nice smokers

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

So whats that sized for...2 or 3 burgers?

Holy cow. 110 gallons of smoked something. Back to the wholey cow... (saved you the trouble REW...)

Have half the family coming over tomorrow. Making brisket, bratwurst and atomic buffalo turds in the smoker, salad, cole slaw, potato salad, strawberries and this ginormous chocolate layer cake I got at sams club for ten bucks.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #20

Never used an electric smoker, always charcoal (have three different kinds)...let us know how it goes. I may get one if they save me the time and effort of dealing with the charcoal.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking