Meat Thermometer Puzzle

I think what you are seeing is that the old mechanical style is averaging the reading over a large area, and the new thermo-couple/thermistor-style is giving you very specific area temperatures.

From the sound of it, the probe is actually giving you accurate readings of those areas. They really vary between 145F-170F at the probe tip.

But maybe an average reading is more useful in this case?

I've noticed the same thing when cooking a turkey. I forget the numbers offhand, but they give one target for the breast and another for the thigh, maybe 15F different? Well I could easily get a 15F delta in readings by moving the probe position ever so slightly. It is still largely a guessing game.

If you are shooting for say 165F throughout, unless you cook the chicken for a very long time at a very low temperature (say 200F - but that may not be safe for other reasons, read up before trying this) to allow time for the whole thing to slowly rise to an even temperature, you will have hot/cold spots. Or cook it in liquid or steam for better heat transfer. You could still raise the temperature at the end to brown it.

I assume your chicken was totally defrosted, but still near fridge temperatures of ~ 38-40F? You can see how 300F or 350F air (poor heat transfer in air) will result in a dramatic temperature delta from surface to inside.

edit/add: I'll have to ask DW how she handles chicken. We have whole chickens pretty often, and she will use the oven in winter, grill in the spring-fall, and she just is not a rigorous/precise, procedure-driven type cook, yet, the chicken always comes out done near perfection. Now, if I could just get her to measure and record spices/flavorings, because there is just some magic combination of lemon juice, garlic, salt and maybe a little rosemary and thyme that is just amazing, compared to very, very, very good/great. But she rarely duplicates the amazing, though I am very, very, very happy with very, very, very good/great!

-ERD50

I wonder if the good folks at ChefAlarm have considered this, maybe putting in multiple sensors and displaying a range or average. I would have thought that one very accurate point in the center of the meat would be best, but maybe not. Sounds like a new product idea!

I wonder if the good folks at ChefAlarm have considered this, maybe putting in multiple sensors and displaying a range or average. I would have thought that one very accurate point in the center of the meat would be best, but maybe not. Sounds like a new product idea!

I was going to suggest that T-Al buy a 12" piece of stainless steel tubing (hobby shop, some HW stores, or on-line), that would provide a tight friction fit on the probe, and cut it to fit. This would increase the thermal mass, and provide more conductivity from the surrounding area (so more of an average reading). But it would also put a slightly bigger hole in the meat.

-ERD50

So, the precise pinpoint measurement of the electronic probes works against them. What if an "averaging" thermometer results in an undercooked area, and salmonella hurts you?

I am reminded of a similar problem with high-grade electronic instruments. A fast oscilloscope will show you noise and glitches in a signal that lesser scopes hide. A low-phase-noise spectrum analyzer will show you your sine wave oscillator is not all that stable and is full of frequency jitters. How do we blame better instruments for not lying?

Last edited:
Interesting problem, having a more precise measure provides differences in the output. I guess in a way I've seen this. My instant read produces different results on a large piece of meat.
MRG

So, the precise pinpoint measurement of the electronic probes works against them. What if an "averaging" thermometer results in an undercooked area, and salmonella hurts you?

I am reminded of a similar problem with high-grade electronic instruments. A fast oscilloscope will show you noise and glitches in a signal that lesser scopes hide. A low-phase-noise spectrum analyzer will show you your sine wave oscillator is not all that stable and is full of frequency jitters. How do we blame better instruments for not lying?

+1 Made me smile! Great way to put it!:)

Back
Top Bottom