Join Early Retirement Today

Median Age
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Median Age

While looking for some unrelated statistics, I came across this comparison of the ages of people living in different countries.
Median age - total (years) 2013 country comparisons, ranks, By Rank

Am posting only because the difference in median age floored me, and thought it might be interesting to others. Here are a few of the numbers:

Median Age (half of the population above, half below)
Uganda 15
Afghanistan 18
Syria 22
China 26
India 27
United States 37
Russia 39
Canada 41
Japan and Germany 45

Next challenge is to try and make sense of the numbers, and what they might mean for the future.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Administrator

I know the China number is bad. Median age there is 36 ( see here https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...elds/2177.html)
As for meaning, I bet it means those folks are going to get older. What do you think?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Yes... China s/b 36 ...
Quote:
As for meaning, I bet it means those folks are going to get older. What do you think?
Maybe... dunno about Africa or the Middle East.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Am posting only because the difference in median age floored me, and thought it might be interesting to others. Here are a few of the numbers...

Next challenge is to try and make sense of the numbers, and what they might mean for the future.
Thanks for posting.

Clicking through to a country leads to a number of additional stats for that country, many with links to other world rankings.

A few more minutes of clicking and the trends for the countries at the bottom of the median age list share a number of common - but not surprising - characteristics relevant to public health: low percentage with access to sanitary facilities, low doctor ratios, high HIV rates, high percentage of underweight children, etc.

African countries pack the top 50 in all such categories.

Making sense of the numbers gets much more complicated as one goes up the scale toward the more affluent, developed countries.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Tom Friedman of the NYTimes had a couple of columns recently about the implications of the different age distributions between India and China. He was focusing on education--that India's much younger population represented a huge opportunity for the "education business", whatever form that might take.

If India's population is younger than China's, what does that mean for dominance in industry, etc? I'm not sure, going on my second beer tonight. Ask me tomorrow...
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Japan and Germany will have fewer workers supporting more retirees.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote