Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
That really is unexpected! I hope you're going to be ok. Is there no provision for out of network emergencies?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sorry for the health issues Urn. Hope health and other things will start turning your way. Im with Ally here and that was an immediate first thought while reading your posts. Some policies have the emergency situation waiver on out of network costs. Check through your policy. Fill an appeal if necessary. Its worth checking into as I am sure they are not knocking over themselves to rush and cut your bill even if it is allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
8 month update- a continued cautionary tale:

Stuff happens.
Really, really unexpected stuff.

Sorry to hear about your health emergency and I hope you have an uneventful and full recovery.

Having weathered a few unexpected major expenses lately, my current motto is -

Stuff Breaks and Sh!t Happens. Have An Emergency Fund.

The financial pundits always say to have 3, 6, or 9 months of expenses in an easily accessible emergency fund. That makes it sound like it's to cover loss of income, like for a job loss. But for many of us it's the medical stuff you couldn't have seen coming, the house stuff that was expected to last and didn't, or the short notice trip to go see a family member.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Medical professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Wow...hope you are feeling better soon! I know all too well about the unexpected expenses. This week (first week since my DW came home from having a spinal tumor removed...FUN!) our new roof leaked quite badly, the garage door spring broke trapping the car, AC condensate drain pump failed (and soaked the basement). Granted, these expenses are low...but they are stressful. And this doesn't add in the "extra bills" that are starting to come in from the DW's stay at the hospital. Those fights being tomorrow. So much for looking forward to Mondays!!!
I feel your pain. Good luck for your wife. The pneumonia is a shadow of itself now, but the complication has left me unable to sit or stand for any length of time, so I am stranded away from home. Not sick enough for a hospital- thank goodness given their daily charges, but not able to do anything but lie down., so not able to fly the 2000 miles home. Luckily i have found a safe harbor with a cousin not too far away and I hope to mount a recovery under her wonderful, gracious hospitality.
I have no idea what the insurance will end up of covering of what has to be a huge tab...

Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #44

If I were not living it I would call BS on these posts but the hits keep coming! Got home after surviving severe sepsis. This morning awoke to find huge tree down having totaled one of our cars and taken out all the patio furniture an ornamental tree, at least one Air Conditioner unit. On the bright side the damage to the house itself is limited to some scratches and bent screens.

I AM NOT GOING BACK TO WORK!
So keep trying, oh demon of disasters...this is why I have insurance. But again- a cautionary tale- stuff happens and runs of bad luck can be astoundingly long lasting.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #45

Hang in there, urn2bfree. There are just so many occurrences in your life that can be as bad as what you've gone through. Life should look uphill from here.

Just be glad you're a physician that could afford to retire without one of the worse situations--PTMD--Post Traumatic Malpractice Disorder. I had a close friend that had his PhD and MD by age 25 from the University of Pennsylvania. His medical career had changed from oncology to pain management for cancer victims. And he had a rather high profile patient die from an injection for pain.

I read some of the malpractice lawsuit my friend was bombarded with--going after him, his clinic and HCA (who denied liability.) Litigation went on for years, and simply sucked the life from my friend. On the day the suits were settled out of court, my friend ended his life.

If a physician works in a high risk specialty and works until age 65, I've read he has a 99% chance that a malpractice lawsuit or two will be experienced in his career.

To those physicians that live below their means, put their time in and get out while the gettin's good--good for you. Just take time prior to retirement to prepare yourself to retire--hobbies, interests, etc. outside of work.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #46

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1435432850.178398.jpg

Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Attachment 21955

A little rubbing compound will fix that!
Old 06-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
No piling on! But good one! This is why we have insurance right?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
No piling on! But good one! This is why we have insurance right?
Exactly...I'm in the process of Amica Insurance buying me a new roof (on the house, not the car).
Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #50

Quote:
I feel your pain. Good luck for your wife. The pneumonia is a shadow of itself now, but the complication has left me unable to sit or stand for any length of time, so I am stranded away from home. Not sick enough for a hospital- thank goodness given their daily charges, but not able to do anything but lie down., so not able to fly the 2000 miles home. Luckily i have found a safe harbor with a cousin not too far away and I hope to mount a recovery under her wonderful, gracious hospitality.
I have no idea what the insurance will end up of covering of what has to be a huge tab...

One of the many good things about the ACA is that insurance should cover any emergency out-of-network care the same as if it is in network, unless you have a grandfathered plan from before the ACA took effect. So insurance, whether or not it's through the ACA, should pick up a good chunk of that healthcare tab.

ER Access & Doctor Choice | HHS.gov/healthcare

However, some states allow balance billing and some states do not. So if the state where you were stranded does not allow balance billing your bills may not be as huge as you think.

Now about that tree...you have had more than your fair share of difficulties this year. I hope your health is recovering and nature (trees, storms, bacteria) and appliances stop slapping you in the face!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Medical professionals

Just catching up on this thread and wow, you have just had 1 thing after another. That destroyed car looks like my country house in PA in 2008 when a 120+ year old tree fell on it. Thank God for insurance. They paid for about $50,000 worth of damage.

As for sepsis, which I unfortunately experienced while in my medical residency in 1984(?), please take time to fully recover. It takes a while to get back to full strength.

I am not yet fully retired, w*rking 1-1.5 days a week since April, and am 10 years older than you, but I am still exhausted from years of burning the candle at both ends in medicine. My employer asked me to return to a grueling 12-13 hour day 3 days a week and I adamantly declined. Just cannot do it any more. As it is I still w*rk 12 hours the 1 day a week & even that is too much.

If things go very far south, there's always locums w*rk but who wants to do that? Not I! And I don't suggest you do it either.

I like the idea of 'sinking funds' for home repairs and known obsolescence, plus a buffer for the unexpected things that life likes to give us.

Get well. I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Attachment 21955

Urn2bfree - wow that is such a bummer! On top of everything else! Hope you get well soon!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

What a string of bad luck!

But look on the positive side. You have recovered from the sepsis. Three years ago, my son came down with a rare liver infection that was misdiagnosed initially and it could have cost his life. Then, I had an illness that could have resulted in my pushing daisy instead of surfing the forum now. As long as I have my health, the financial setbacks do not scare me anymore.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And a small piece of black electrical tape.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:34 PM   #55

EastWest Gal- You are correct. I have yet to receive any bills, but I was told by our insurance that since my admission was legit, and emergent, all will be covered as in network.

Lac1003- you are not kidding, I can't believe how fast I got better from the pneumonia and yet can't kick myself back into the shape I was in just a few weeks ago. And I was in pretty darn good shape (resting pulse around 50). The energy drains out so fast now. But NWBound, I do feel lucky. For surviving my little health scare, that no one was harmed by that tree, and that we won't go broke even having just survived a basement flood last night! Yes - more unusual money sucking events keep happening! -All the tree debris followed by hail and on the heels of a foot of rain the last few weeks and everyone in my neighborhood was bailing out their basements last night. And we needed an emergency drain opening...
And I still feel lucky because we are all unharmed and we have the funds to deal with this--um, er these....

Never going back to medicine, not locum, not part time.
I am looking forward to downsizing and lower maintenance risks. Just have to get the house to stop falling apart long enough to sell it.
And I Know I am not the on,y one dealing with stuff...
Today--Our neighbor was supposed to have photos of his house taken for putting house on the market--but the storm last night destroyed all the landscaping and ruined everything. Photos will have to wait.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... a basement flood last night! Yes - more unusual money sucking events keep happening!
Man, more house trouble! I don't know what to say.

Quote:
Never going back to medicine, not locum, not part time...
I saw that you are were an oncologist. And being a layman, I thought oncology is not as bad a specialization as some others such as surgery, but what do I know about the medicine profession.

OK, maybe allergists have it best. I used to go to an allergy clinic to get my weekly shot, and thought that the old doc owning that clinic had it made. The job was stress-free, and he could practice until his 80s if he wished.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #57

Oncology burnout is pretty common. My practice was skewed to particularly bad cancers, too. (pancreas, brain). I am so happy to not be marinating in that emotionally challenging world all the time. It takes a toll, if you care. And if you don't care, you probably shouldn't be there, either.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #58

Quote:
...on the heels of a foot of rain the last few weeks and everyone in my neighborhood was bailing out their basements last night. And we needed an emergency drain opening...
And I still feel lucky because we are all unharmed and we have the funds to deal with this--um, er these....
Careful how one does that. There was an event of a woman and her daughter electrocuted with a sump pump trying to clear an outside stairwell following a heavy rain. Hate to see somebody make it to ER and then have that happen. Or before ER for that matter.

I saw another story about the investigators going back with an electrician to figure out what happened with it.

Police identify woman, daughter electrocuted in Chevy Chase - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG
Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I have heard there are reasons docs go into dermatology and podiatry.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I have heard there are reasons docs go into dermatology and podiatry.
The first Rolls Royce I ever saw was driven by my teenage pimple doctor. Smart man - no emergency calls for him.