Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Uh, oh. Here comes a tidal wave of Canadians wanting to buy their drugs in the US.

Ummmmmmmmmm.....no, because they too will find out the U.S. drugs are mostly made in foreign countries just like the Canadian-supplied ones are.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ummmmmmmmmm.....no, because they too will find out the U.S. drugs are mostly made in foreign countries just like the Canadian-supplied ones are.
Exactly, so why would we pay more for them?

Old 09-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just one old guy's opinion: Of all the things I spend my money on, the one I think of as most important is my health. While it is possible to purchase low-cost equivalents (or even the same drug) from another country, I would be very leery of doing so. Playing "craps" in Vegas with money is fun (or not). Playing craps with your health - not so much IMHO. I'm sure for every horror story (pills made from floor sweepings, for instance) there are lots of folks who save a ton of money by buying foreign-sold drugs. I just will not be one of them as long as my stash holds out.

Regarding the whole "drugs cost too much in the USA" argument, I say the same thing to folks who think US Pharma companies have a "license to steal" as I do to all the folks who (just a few years ago) said "Big Oil" had a license to steal. How much of their stock do you own? If you don't own their stock, you don't really believe they have that special license after all. Again, just one old guy's opinion so take it with a grain of salt (or an aspirin) and don't call me in the morning. End of rant - returning you to our regularly scheduled programming because YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

WADR, Canadian drugs are pretty much the same as those in the USA. However, IIRC, you can't buy them here unless prescribed by a Canadian doctor. Ask meadbh, she is/was one. So, if your "Canadian Online Pharmacy" will sell you whatever you want, odds are it ain't Canadian.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Got an unwelcome surprise yesterday when DW asked her doc for a written prescription so we can shop it around for the best price. The office person said that the doc doesn't write paper prescriptions anymore due to state law (MI). I Googled it, but could not make total sense of what I found, which dealt with drugs with a high rate of abuse like painkillers. The drug that DW takes is not in that classification.

Anyone else run into this roadblock?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Got an unwelcome surprise yesterday when DW asked her doc for a written prescription so we can shop it around for the best price. The office person said that the doc doesn't write paper prescriptions anymore due to state law (MI). I Googled it, but could not make total sense of what I found, which dealt with drugs with a high rate of abuse like painkillers. The drug that DW takes is not in that classification.

Some states do require the prescriptions be formatted as legible. The same is true in WA state, but the doctor will issue the script through their system to a printer. But, what your provider might want to do is fax the script directly to a pharmacy you choose.

If you are shopping for the best price, try Goodrx.com. This website has an agreement with almost all the pharmacies in your area and will show you the prices for the drug the doctor would order for you. So you need to know what drug, in what dosage, and how many doses the doctor would authorize to be dispensed.

GoodRx will show you the pharmacy, the price, and offer a coupon to get the price shown. Once you identify the pharmacy, let the doctor know which pharmacy you want to fill the prescription. They can then fax directly.

I use the service for some human medications I give to my dog (it turns out sometimes the veterinary versions of the same thing are more expensive).

- Rita
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Some states do require the prescriptions be formatted as legible. The same is true in WA state, but the doctor will issue the script through their system to a printer. But, what your provider might want to do is fax the script directly to a pharmacy you choose.

If you are shopping for the best price, try Goodrx.com. This website has an agreement with almost all the pharmacies in your area and will show you the prices for the drug the doctor would order for you. So you need to know what drug, in what dosage, and how many doses the doctor would authorize to be dispensed.

GoodRx will show you the pharmacy, the price, and offer a coupon to get the price shown. Once you identify the pharmacy, let the doctor know which pharmacy you want to fill the prescription. They can then fax directly.

I use the service for some human medications I give to my dog (it turns out sometimes the veterinary versions of the same thing are more expensive).

- Rita
Thanks. Actually want to send the prescription to a Canadian pharmacy, so need to have a printed copy. Not sure if doc would fax to a Canadian pharmacy.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #68

Quote:

I'm not trying to shop for my Rx but my own Dr hasn't written a Rx on paper for a few years...by the time I leave his office, I already have a text saying that the Rx has been sent to my pharmacy electronically.

He does it all "e-Rx" from his phone.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm not trying to shop for my Rx but my own Dr hasn't written a Rx on paper for a few years...by the time I leave his office, I already have a text saying that the Rx has been sent to my pharmacy electronically.

He does it all "e-Rx" from his phone.
Yes, I've seen a similar trend, though a few years ago I asked for and received a written prescription because I knew that I could get the antibiotics for free at an alternate pharmacy.

Right now I'm trying to filter through the "it is a state law" claim roadblock without ticking off the doc.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Also have doc do e RX.... but he will print out and sign it if asked...

I was just in to visit a different doc today and started to read a letter about controlled drugs... I stopped at the top, but what I think it was saying is that they have to be electronic.... then there was a list of other things that I did not read.... probably wants to make sure it is not copied and taken to many places...
Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I stopped in at my local Target pharmacy and chatted with the person that takes the prescriptions (probably a pharm tech). I explained that I wanted a written prescription from the doc so I could shop it for the lowest price and asked it it was indeed a law that prescriptions had to be sent electronically.

She said that was absolutely not true, as they regularly get written prescriptions to fill, but it was probably the doc's office policy.