Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozie View Post
And I'm totally, 100% OK with the eye rolling behind the back behavior. I guess I'd call it jealousy/envy? And who wouldn't be.................
Me.

I've been retired - in the dictionary definition - for 8 years and do not envy another living being for any reason whatsoever. I will admit I couldn't always say that, having once thought Hugh Hefner had the world's greatest gig. Now he's just a sad old geezer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jumping Jesus on a pogostick, who the hell cares?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Jumping Jesus on a pogostick, who the hell cares?
Hey, don't you have a job to hate or something?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, don't you have a job to hate or something?
Not for much longer. And once I exit the cube I won't care what you call me.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #106

Quote:
And once I exit the cube I won't care what you call me.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Me.

I've been retired - in the dictionary definition - for 8 years and do not envy another living being for any reason whatsoever. I will admit I couldn't always say that, having once thought Hugh Hefner had the world's greatest gig. Now he's just a sad old geezer.
Well, he is an old geezer, but he doesn't look all that sad...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, anybody who is promoting themselves for whatever reason looks to me like they are trying to make money... which is work... which means you are not retired...

Again, I could be completely wrong... I just do not want to do the research as I am not a fan of his.... I did not like his writing style....

I guess I have to disagree. When you can choose when, if, and how to do any "extra" work/job, you have the freedom of saying you are retired - you do not HAVE to work - to hold employment for whatever reasons (money, benefits, etc.). He's doing this "side" stuff merely for enjoyment - and the fact that he may be making a few bucks off of it - well, shows you have truly capable he is of making a buck while having fun at it! What a life!

Using this definition.... Tiger Woods is retired....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #109
Administrator

Quote:
Yup. That's the thing. When you have to get paid, the folks that do the payin' can call you anything and you have to suck it up. Doesn't matter how much, they bark and you have to perform. Once you quit it, really quit, you just walk away, 'cause you no longer give a crap.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, I guess it "flies" for us. We retired 2 years ago at 46 and 56. We said if something came along that interests us, we would consider (consulting project, piece-by-piece type of "work") dabbling - and so far, in 3 years, nothing has. So we consider ourselves retired. Should I (or my husband) take a project for one week/month during the year, I still would consider myself retired as opposed to "semi-retired." When you take on employment that goes on for longer periods to which you are committed for specific days/hours/location, I would say you are not retired. When you can pick and choose when and how much and where you want to work at any given time, I feel I can call myself/ourselves retired. So, yes, it flies for us, and obviously for MMM.

The key for us is that we have so many other interests/hobbies - which is a HUGE issue/problem for many; they can't, for the love of God - figure what in the hell they'd do with themselves/time if they retired so young! So if that's the predicament you are in, I can only say........keep working! We value our "free/retired" time too much to

MMM might call this the Hokey Pokey retirement. What ever you call it, I'll dance to that tune
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Using this definition.... Tiger Woods is retired....
I think of Richard Branson. Wonder if anyone calls him retired?

I'm just glad being retired is apparently so sexy now that everyone wants to describe themselves that way.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #112
Dryer sheet wannabe

I wonder what this guy will do when he's diagnosed with some awful disease. He doesn't seem to carry health insurance. It probably means WE will pay for it when goes on Medicaid, assuming he's not Medicare age.
oldnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews View Post
I wonder what this guy will do when he's diagnosed with some awful disease. He doesn't seem to carry health insurance. It probably means WE will pay for it when goes on Medicaid, assuming he's not Medicare age.
I believe if you read his blog you would find he has health insurance on his whole family (he does not seem to be irresponsible in the least).
Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think of Richard Branson. Wonder if anyone calls him retired?
Honey, he works hard for the money (as a stewardess for Air Asia)...

Richard Branson's Stewardess Bet: Virgin Mogul Dresses Up As Flight Attendant To Honor Wager (PHOTOS)

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
I personally find all this talk about who is 'retired' and who isn't rather funny. I consider myself semi-retired now as I am only work now to meet the metric I use to consider myself FI--and for the most part I take any project that comes through my door (for the most part--some clients no matter how much money they offer aren't worth the hassle). We are actually FI now but my wife can't retire until Oct 2014 so I still work to boost our portfolio and for her to not feel abandoned! She has to work until then to get her pension so there is no way around that aspect of it...damn it!

However when I officially retire (Oct 2014) I will still continue to work as I enjoy what I do but the big difference is a that point I will have total control over it. I can be selective and do the project if it interests me or not do it. For me 'retired' is a point in time that one considers themselves financially independent. I don't need ANY of the money that I bring in--if I get paid for doing what I enjoy all it does is extend my portfolio money. If nothing comes along that strikes my fancy for a year, that is fine. But if I get the opportunity to design an awesome house or help someone out who wouldn't normally be able to pay for an Architect--even better and still I would consider myself retired. My work at that time is a hobby like painting, if I sold my paintings and made money is that work?

Now maybe it is because I am an Architect and I enjoy the design process. In Oct 2014 it becomes a hobby, a hobby I can make money at but I don't need to do it. I think that is one of the big issues for some folks here as I see people write j*b and w*rk as if they are dirty words! I could certainly understand that if you hate your job or profession. But not everyone out there hates what they do for a living. I enjoy being an Architect, just now want to do it completely on my own terms.
Aren't you worried about the expenses associated with continuing work, even fun gigs, as an architect... Presuming you're a 1 person shop - you'd have to have liability insurance for some period of years after you finish your last gig... so every job extends that expense out.

My husband looked into this when his previous employer was considering folding up shop... his client (a large hospital) wanted him to complete the job under his own business/name. But the liability insurance expense (through the years) made it a negative proposition. Fortunately, another firm was able to pick up my husband AND the hospital job.

I think my husband said you have to have liability insurance for 10 years after completion of construction on any designs you do. Maybe that's just in CA.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #116
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Why do people keep harping on the possibility that MMM could get cancer or some other expensive disease?

First of all, he HAS health insurance and has written about it extensively.

Second, in a little over 6 months he could probably be eligible for ObamaCare, like a lot of others on this board, and so his health insurance will be both affordable and predictable.

Whether or not it was intended to do so, the ACA will make ER easier for a lot of people with lower assets than would have been required in the past.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
Whether or not it was intended to do so, the ACA will make ER easier for a lot of people with lower assets than would have been required in the past.
True, and some of us taxpayers are totally thrilled at this awesome and socially useful result.

Ha
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #118
Dryer sheet wannabe

MMM and Life Insurance

Quote:
i wonder what this guy will do when he's diagnosed with some awful disease. He doesn't seem to carry health insurance. It probably means we will pay for it when goes on medicaid, assuming he's not medicare age.

read.the.blog.
Snoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Honey, he works hard for the money (as a stewardess for Air Asia)...

Richard Branson's Stewardess Bet: Virgin Mogul Dresses Up As Flight Attendant To Honor Wager (PHOTOS)

Funny and creepy !
Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
True, and some of us taxpayers are totally thrilled at this awesome and socially useful result.

Ha
Actually, I am and think that it is. I will be opening up a position for someone younger with more energy to move up in my company and will continue to groom my replacement over the next few months before making a public announcement within the company.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote