Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Random group over the years: Jimmy Dean, LeeAnn Rhimes, Jesse Jackson, Barry Williams, ZZ Top
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

You folks are hanging with some serious celebs.

I used to golf with G. Gordon Liddy. Well I was golfing, he only had a view of the course. :confused:
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
You folks are hanging with some serious celebs.

I used to golf with G. Gordon Liddy. Well I was golfing, he only had a view of the course. :confused:
Did he hang a white handkerchief through the bars?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I have never shared a table with, nor been introduced to any celebrity. If I ran across any in real life, I would not recognize many, despite knowing their names from stories in the media. I often know the name but not the face.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Did he hang a white handkerchief through the bars?
Couldn't quite see the facility from the course. The out of bounds fence on a couple holes was marked "Keep out Federal Prison" or something. Occasionally you could see some supervised inmates off in the distance.

I remember my DM telling of being on the course when there was fire at an attempted escapee. They all were on the ground for a while. Nobody was hurt, and the fellow never left the facility.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I met Abraham Lincoln. He was in my wallet.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a kid, I walked into Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe's Honeymoon suite. Watched TV for 15 minutes in the living room before going to look for my parents. Passed a
bathroom in the hallway and saw Joe shaving and hightalled it out of their. We were in the suite next door.

As an adolescent walking down the street in Edgartown, Ran in to Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow (wearing pigtails licking a huge lollipop) and Frank said hello to me.

My ex-wife and I held lots of parties (80's-90's) and met and drank with Alec Baldwin, Billy Baldwin, Billy Joel,Angelina Jolie's father, (John Hurt?) Joey Buttafuco and his Wife (after the shooting), Gloria Estefan in a club in NYC, I used to party with Jason Bonham whenever he was in NYC and met a lot of guys from various rock bands.

Bought a couple of beers and had a nice conversation with the President of Peru while he was campaigning for his second election.( he lost and they are now trying to extradite him from the USA on corruption charges)

I have a friend who is a famous Arab sheikh and have partied with dignitaries, rode in motorcades, dined,drank and smoked cigars in private clubs all over Peru. Had a General fly us up to a military base in his chopper and allowed us to fire a wide assortment of weapons.

I am sure there were others but my mind is a bit fuzzy from the 80's till about 2001.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #68

I hung around with this actor for quite a while over the holidays. I even got a present in the mail from him just a couple of days ago. Both of his kids are enchanting. His son, despite being "too young for it", is quite the little quad copter pilot.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

My job allowed me to meet numerous political figures, actors, and athletes. I could list over 100. A few of the top celebs: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck, Sandra Bullock, and Bill Clinton.

One of my favorite celebrity meetings was at a conference in San Diego. I served in the Marine Corps in my younger years so Full Metal Jacket has always been one of my favorite movies. I was so excited when I met R. Lee Ermey who played the drill instructor in the movie. I had him choke me like he did in one of the scenes in the movie as follows: "Now choke yourself Pyle...Not with your hand...My Hand".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunny.jpg (85.1 KB, 26 views)
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I met Newt Gingrich a few years ago. There is a picture of about 5 of us with him out there somewhere.

I've also met Simon Sinek of TEDTalk and author fame a couple of times. Not a fan.

I missed meeting Dean Cain one day when I'd taken the day off work. Still a tad upset about that.

When I was young, I met most of the late 80s/early 90s Runnin' Rebels and the late, great Jerry Tarkanian. I cried buckets when he passed.

I also ran into Andre Agassi and Brooke Shields once back when they were together. I was too young to care much, though.

I've met quite a few military leaders who would be impressive to military people. A couple of astronauts, too. Apparently I missed meeting Secretary Mattis by about 30 seconds a few weeks ago. But based on the stories about him, I'm sure I'll meet him in line for dry cleaning or a sandwich soon enough!
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #71

RFK invited some of the kids from the local orphanage over to his estate. I have a clipping from the Washington Post of me in his swimming pool. I was about 4.

Also have a 1975 picture of me shaking hands/getting some award from Robert Gates. I believe he was deputy head spook at the time.
Z3Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I was having lunch while on vacation on a small island in the Grenadines, and I heard a low-timbred, unmistakable voice at the table behind me. I turned around and it was Donald Sutherland. I knew who it was before even seeing his face -- isn't it funny how a few voices just have a certain memorable "presence"? Later, we crossed paths again while walking on the beach and said "hi", but no more than that. So I guess technically we met...
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:47 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Not me, but my SIL (college years summer job) served breakfast to Billy Joel, Christy Brinkley and their then new baby (Alexa Ray) at a posh resort in New England. Her description to us was 'Christy was absolutely stunning-radiant-perfect, and the baby was a doll. Billy OTOH looked like a disheveled old basset hound'...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I lived down the street from Dick Smothers.
Ah, yes, Dickie and Tommy Smothers and the two women they were with. I guess we had some sort of interaction because after the interaction I got fired from my job. Luckily for me, the firing turned into a three-day suspension. They (the women) felt they were entitled. I didn't share their feelings.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #75

W**ked in radio and television for 40 years, so I've encountered more celebs than I could begin to list, but a couple of fun or funny side notes:

Ronny Milsap- picked him and his manager up at a hotel so he could do an interview at the station I was the program director for.. about 1985 or so. He was still a hot country star. As he approached my car with his manager as his sighted guide, the manager told him the make and model of my car as he opened the door.. guess Ronny could use that information as a blind man in order to navigate.

He sat in the passenger side with me driving. I was playing a cassette and Marvin Gaye was singing 'I heard it through the grapevine'. Ronny sang harmony at the top of his voice and was playing the drums on my dashboard. Very cool.

Ray Stevens- of 'The Streak' fame headlined a show. My boss, a friend of mine and I had lunch with him and his manager. Backstage later that evening at the coliseum, my friend got a little tipsy and was holding a plastic cup full of rum and coke. As the announcer was introducing Stevens and the with the audience cheering, just as he ascended the stairs stage left to take the stage, my friend slapped him on the back and said 'have a great show' and spilled half the glass of whisky on him. The look on his face could kill... but the show went on and was great....we, meanwhile, conveniently slipped out of the back door.

Probably biggest 'celeb' of sorts was George Bush. Used to run into him at the bars during his drinking days long ago. Nice guy and good sense of humor.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Bo Diddley:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...e-67228-3.html Post #59

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #77

from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
...made eye contact with Tiger Woods when he was practicing sand bunker shots at the Memorial many years ago.
Yeah. Tiger still remembers it like it was yesterday. He wonders why.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I hung around with this actor for quite a while over the holidays. I even got a present in the mail from him just a couple of days ago. Both of his kids are enchanting. His son, despite being "too young for it", is quite the little quad copter pilot.
Here's my post from the other thread... Apparently before Life in Pieces
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty friendly with one of the Captains on Wicked Tuna. Does that count?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm pretty friendly with one of the Captains on Wicked Tuna. Does that count?
It only counts if he gives you free tuna steaks.
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote