Join Early Retirement Today

MegaCorp strategy to keep babyboomers
Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

MegaCorp strategy to keep babyboomers

The company I work for is coming out with a plan to entice baby boomers to keep working. The fear of losing a substantial amount of company knowledge in a short period is scary. So, two new options are:

1) If you are eligible to retire and vested, you may choose to take a 20% pay reduction and work only 4 days/wk.

2) If you are eligible to retire and vested, you may choose to take a 20% pay reduction and get an extra 4 weeks of vacation. Many employees who have been around 25 years could have 10wks total.

Does that entice anyone here? 10wks vacation or 3 day weekends every week? I'm pretty sure I know the answer!
Keopele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keopele View Post
The company I work for is coming out with a plan to entice baby boomers to keep working. The fear of losing a substantial amount of company knowledge in a short period is scary. So, two new options are:

1) If you are eligible to retire and vested, you may choose to take a 20% pay reduction and work only 4 days/wk.

2) If you are eligible to retire and vested, you may choose to take a 20% pay reduction and get an extra 4 weeks of vacation. Many employees who have been around 25 years could have 10wks total.

Does that entice anyone here? 10wks vacation or 3 day weekends every week? I'm pretty sure I know the answer!
This is all in how the product is "sold" or positioned.

20% pay cut is probably the real goal here, not keeping "valuable" employees around.

Consider- what is better for company- hiring college grads for 50% the pay, but none of the experience, or having experienced employees at 80% the pay of the current employee.

If my company came in and said 80% the pay with more benefits, people would take the benefits, then find another job sooner or later. The benefits are really not that valueable. I saw nothing indicated in the OP which suggested that workload also decreased 20%. So if employer can get 100% of the work for 80% the pay, why not?

option 1 looked good to me. 52 days off is better than 20 more days of vacation.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #3

my company never even honored the vacation time we supposedly had as we were judged according to "metrics". the standards were the same whether you got 2 weeks or i got 4 weeks. i still had to make up the work lost to my "vacation time".

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
my company never even honored the vacation time we supposedly had as we were judged according to "metrics". the standards were the same whether you got 2 weeks or i got 4 weeks. i still had to make up the work lost to my "vacation time".
By the time I retired, I had five weeks annual vacation - plus about 17 or so corporate "holidays". My final boss used to make a big deal out of anyone in his department taking all their vacation. He would often remind us that he only used 2 or so weeks of his five weeks...implying that the rest of us should do the same. And, he'd never ok a vacation longer than two weeks -- no matter what -- so it was sometimes hard to get all your vacation time in. And, of course, he'd expect us to be "available" during vacation (ie., cell phone, blackberry, etc.)

I'd rather have 100% time off rather than ever work for another j**k like that!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am only happy with the 52 week vacation.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am a working baby boomer, and I am just too burned out for a four day week to help. If such had been offered five years ago (even for reduced pay), I probably wouldn't be so burned out and I probably would have worked more years. But as things stand now, I need to ER next year and no four day week nor 10 week vacation will deflect me from that goal.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #7

Can you retire, draw retirement pay, work 4 days a week for 80% pay?
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #8

I have recently taken a 20% paycut and gone to 4 days a week and have to say I love it.

However, it hasn't changed how I feel about my place of employment, it is time for me to move on.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm probably off the mark but I'd say the Managers are pretty clever...and manipulative. For most "salaried" jobs (which I assume is what we're talking about here), I suspect you'd end up doing the essentially the same work in 4 days a week (or in 4 fewer weeks per year) for 20% less pay. I would think an employee would have to be pretty naive to go for this, but the company (responsible Managers) would benefit substantially with a net labor cost reduction of almost 20%. I'd be very suspicious of the Managers on pretty much anything after this "offer."

Unlikely: If you do "factory work" where it could be same pay/hour it might be "fair" but I seriously doubt that's the case because the Company would have to hire more workers to cover off days and personnel scheduling would be much more difficult. Even so I wouldn't do it, 5 days/week of grief isn't much different than 4 days/week, might as well make the extra 20% while you're at it. My 2¢...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My megacorp has a part time plan and I've asked to do it. 50% pay for 20 hours / week, some reduction in benefits. My manager is for it but his managers are dragging their feet. If they drag too long, I'm outta here.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
For most "salaried" jobs, I suspect you'd end up doing the same work in 4 days a week (or in 4 fewer weeks per year) for 20% less pay.
That could definitely be the case. In my case I have a combination of on-demand work (customer problems) and long term projects. If I go 1/2 time, I expect that many customer problems will be saved for me, but urgent ones will get looked at. Long term projects will slide out. I plan to stick to 20 hours, and don't mind if I'm jamming in more work during that time.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I had a number of 4 day/week woman working for me. I got about 90% of the work out of them as when they were working full time. Mostly because they were dedicated, and able to work from home on their off days.

The extra 4 weeks for a 20% pay cut is a horrible deal. I would think you'd should be able to get an extra 8 or 9 weeks. Basically, give the option to take most of the summer off. To me that would have a lot of appeal.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I'd prefer 4 10 hour days to the pay cut - though I understand that is not one of the options.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm really looking forword to my seven day weekends. So, the four day week for 80% pay doesn't appeal to me.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #15

So our corp is going through layoffs / outsourcing. Our group has been told several times that we have nothing to worry about, we're the only group not losing people. My boss just quit (last day is next Friday) and they're freaking out a bit trying to keep him and keep the rest of us from following him. Just because I can, I think I'll negotiate in some extra vacation days. I can already work remotely as I feel like, but I'd like to not have to pretend to work on some of those days...
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

There may be some truth to the cost savings, but I heard a figure (can't remember the specific #'s) that about 20% of the company workforce is 50+ and in 5-7 years it will drop to about 5-10%. I think they are truly concerned about losing the "grandfather wisdom" of the company. I myself would be outta there regardless at 50, and plan to be :-)
Keopele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 AM   #17

Quote:
There may be some truth to the cost savings, but I heard a figure (can't remember the specific #'s) that about 20% of the company workforce is 50+ and in 5-7 years it will drop to about 5-10%. I think they are truly concerned about losing the "grandfather wisdom" of the company. I myself would be outta there regardless at 50, and plan to be :-)
Be careful with the statistics like this.

My company was bought out by EDS a while back.

At the benefits presentation (the second year) there was a slide

Title "why cost of healthcare went up"

bullet 1- the average age of the EDS worker went from 56.7 years old in 2000 to 57.6 years old in 2001.

Does anyone else in the audience have an issue with that being the #1 reason? Did EDS think the average age of it's employee base was going DOWN? I want some of that to smoke too.

Maybe the ages were 46.7 and 47.6... but you get the idea (of course average age of company would increase by a year one year later- EDS had a hiring freeze on and we just laid off 10% of workforce).

DUH!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Probably nothing, but these last few posts highlight a good question. The MegaCorp I work for provides health care only if you work at least 32 hours a week. Hopefully the MegaCorp in this thread doesn't get out from under health care or other benefits as a result of their "offer." I'd like to think they covered that with the "offer." FWIW...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I've been on the 4 day a week plan for several months and I cant wait to go to zero. I'm developing too many outside interests to fit work into my schedule.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Weaken the USD internationally. Big inflation. Lowering the value of your hard earned and saved assets.

Those will work just fine to meet their needs. Put you chains back on... time to go back to w*rk.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote