Melancholy Music

Seems like a natural progression on a melancholy thread. I'll get over it, my veins are hard to find.

A couple of my current favorites that haven't already been mentioned:

Eddie Vedder's (of Pearl Jam fame) Into the Wild soundtrack. (You probably need to see the movie or read the book to get the full effect from the album.)

Jimmy Buffett's One Particular Harbour

Little River Band's Cool Change (as you might have already guessed)

Yes: I am too much of a Luddite to figure out how to embed the YouTube links.

A couple of my current favorites that haven't already been mentioned:

Eddie Vedder's (of Pearl Jam fame) Into the Wild soundtrack. (You probably need to see the movie or read the book to get the full effect from the album.)

Jimmy Buffett's One Particular Harbour

Little River Band's Cool Change (as you might have already guessed)

Yes: I am too much of a Luddite to figure out how to embed the YouTube links.

Just copy and paste URL.

My paste on this one didn't work last post.

Kicks ass and is a downer all at the same time.

For the trly most melancholy song of all time, how about Send In The Clowns by Judy Collins. Such a bummer I don't even want to link it.

Last edited:
I am prone to melancholy at times. My ultimate melancholy music is Mozart's Requiem mass:

YouTube - Mozart - Requiem - Introitus - 1 - Anniversary recording - Solti

And Don Giovanni:

YouTube - Mozart - Don Giovanni - Overture and start of scene 1

especially:

YouTube - Don Giovanni - Mozart - Non Mi Dir - ROXANA CETALI
I made the mistake reading White Hotel and listening to Don Giovanni.

Gumby, Mad World is one of my favorite meloncholy songs. Along with Shawn Phillip's Ballad of Casey Deiss:
YouTube - Shawn Phillips - The ballad of Casey Deiss

Jeff Beck's Last Farewell Ride:

YouTube - Farewell Ride- Beck

Monday Monday - Can't Trust That Day

Monday Monday - Is it a day of the week? Is it woman/lover? It may seem upbeat on the surface but there's plenty of melancholy in this one...

YouTube - The Mamas & The Papas - Monday Monday

Bobby McGee - Here's another that comes to mind. The music and video don't match but Janis Joplin sings it well. I wasn't able to locate Kris Kristofferson version of the video that I liked.

YouTube - janis joplin me and bobby mc gee

Lucius

Martha:

I didn't know you were an opera fan. So am I.

For human sadness and misery reduced to its very essence, it would be hard to beat Butterfly's final aria "con honor muore"/ "tu, tu, piccolo iddio" at the end of the third act. If you aren't in tears by that point, there is no hope for you. And as far as poignance goes, the "Un bel di vedremo" aria at the beginning of the second act is a masterpiece. My favorite in this role was Leontyne Price.

The "Salve Regina" at the end of Poulenc's Dialogue of the Carmelites, in which the chorus gradually fades to a single voice as the nuns go to the guillotine one by one, is also powerfully sad.

Ever the optimist (officially declared this morning on another thread by HFWR, merci!), I would go for the very end of Act I of “Butterfly.” What could be sadder than to remember a lost love at it’s [censored] happiest.

YouTube - Vogliatemi bene, un bene piccolino

I never “got” Puccini until I studied the Scotto version.

Back
Top Bottom