Melancholy Music

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team

Looks like I'll have a lot of thoughts running through my mind tonight.....:-\

My "favorite" songs number in the thousands in different languages, three of which I understand, and two (Italian and Spanish) because I love the melodies. Besame Mucho, anyone?

I like songs much more than classical music and, if I like the melody, will track down the lyrics to see what it means. On a cruise ship, I once heard a Filipino pianist playing a tune in a lounge. Recently, I thought of tracking it down, reckoning that it must be a popular song in the Phillipines, and was successful. Yes, the Web and youtube make it much easier now.

As another example, I like to listen to Paul Mauriat's Orchestra, which is like the Boston Pop Orchestra of France (though most Americans would think of it as "elevator music"). One of the albums had the song "Un monde avec toi" (A world with you). As the melody and the song title sounded so romantic, I tracked down and listened to the singer and the lyrics.

It is only recently that I learned that the Canadian singer, Raymond Berthiaume, who recorded the song was not the original singer.

It was Frank Sinatra and the song "The world we knew". I listened to the musical score first, then the French version of the song before getting to the original and well-known crooner!

My "favorite" songs number in the thousands in different languages, three of which I understand, and two (Italian and Spanish) because I love the melodies. Besame Mucho, anyone?

Thanks Pal, I am lonesome but not that lonesome.

Ha

In the summer of 1970, I had a very good tall blond gorgeous (not that that mattered to me!) friend who was prone to melancholy. We lived in the same rooming house and then laughed when we discovered we also worked in the same building. I had two love interests that summer but she was just a friend. We had lunch together every workday and hung out together. She moved out of the rooming house and I went to visit her where she was drinking beer and complaining, “even in a beautiful sublet like this, you can be depressed.” She was babysitting for a very cute mulatto toddler. I will never forget her in a rocking chair bouncing him on her knee, smiling to him and lip syncing to this song:

YouTube - United We Stand - Brotherhood of Man

She got married at the end of that summer and I never saw her again.

Even though it's associated with a "comedy" (as much as WWII can be comedic) this one always brings a tear to my eye. The "protagonist" of the song KNOWS that they are their own worst enemy and yet seem powerless to change. I've known so many people like that - I've probably been that person. :(

Oh, don't watch the screen. Sort of ruins the mood. By the way, flawed as it is, Kelly's Heroes is one of my top 10 fav. movies FWIW.

YouTube - Burning Bridges - Mike Curb Congregation

Speaking of melancholy songs, could there be any more sad theme for a song than the loss of a young child.

YouTube - Eric Clapton/Tears in heaven

And for an already sad song (lost love) this one always makes me sad when I think what we lost when we lost these two guys. Saw them just a month before their untimely passing.

YouTube - Jim Croce Operator

Could have also posted Jim's "Time in a Bottle." It's almost as if he had a premonition.

Recall hearing the news of his passing on the radio. The lead in was about the loss of a young singer/songwriter in a plane crash. Jim's face came to mind before they announced the name.

Sorry, didn't mean to hog the thread.:(

I’m embarrassed to embed a Ricky Nelson song but HFWR’s selections reminded me of this. OTOH, I remember where I was when I saw the headline about the plane crash. We were forced to dance to this in grade school dancing class. What torture, we were too young to be melancholy. I never did learn how to dance.

YouTube - Ricky Nelson - Lonesome Town (1958)

The problem with Billie holiday in general, and her Good Morning Heartache in particular, is that it isn't "Gosh I feel kind of blue today, maybe I'll eat some donuts". No, it's more like where is that GD vein? I can't stand this a minute longer.

Ha

The problem with Billie holiday in general, and her Good Morning Heartache in particular, is that it isn't "Gosh I feel kind of blue today, maybe I'll eat some donuts". No, it's more like where is that GD vein? I can't stand this a minute longer.

Ha

Note to self: no more Billie:(

Back
Top Bottom