Join Early Retirement Today

Member of holy trinity heard from
Old 03-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard, Costco, Penfed. Om.

Penfed used to be my go-to credit card with their auto deposit of points earned - then it wasn't automatic. Then they devalued their points. Then I found the Fidelity 2% cash back automatic points deposit Visa and Mastercard (which also works in Costco, thanks Nords). All of a sudden I didn't use my Penfed card for the last 6 months or more.

Today they sent me a nice card suggesting that If I wanna put $500 on their card for the next two months they feel like giving me a statement credit of $100 (weasel language says that may take a few month to post..).

I'm feeling the urge to spend $1000 with the ol' PenFed card. Nice to see them coming back in the game. Anybody else get the come on and charge card?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Whew, what a relief! I thought you might have had a religious revelation of some sort.

Sounds great!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to use the PenFed Cash Rewards and then a few years ago they gave us all a lot of incentive points to convert to the Platinum Rewards with the points system. I never really liked it, after redeeming the incentive points it took us a long time to accumulate the 5000 points for the Visa $50 prepaid card. Then they devalued the points.

Last month I reached the new 5900 point level, redeemed for the $50 prepaid card and last week I called PenFed and asked to change back to the Cash Rewards card. It took about a week but we have our new cards. I had hoped to keep the old number but that didn't happen.

We do most of our spending with cash and only use the card for gas so I may as well have the 5% cash credit for gas instead of that awful point system.

So I guess they won't be offering me the deal you got. But I had that nice incentive when they wanted us all to convert to points.

I recently completed a bonus deal with Huntington Bank. Open a checking account, make 10 debit card purchases and they give you $150. After 3 transactions the bonus showed up but I went ahead and made the remaining transactions anyway. I made transactions like 3 postage stamps, a dozen eggs, a green pepper, more stamps, a bag of ice, 2 apples, etc.

Now I just have to keep the account open for 6 months.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I called PenFed and asked to change back to the Cash Rewards card. It took about a week but we have our new cards. I had hoped to keep the old number but that didn't happen.

We do most of our spending with cash and only use the card for gas so I may as well have the 5% cash credit for gas instead of that awful point system.
Are you still getting the 5% cash credit for gas purchases? I thought it changed to 3% unless you kept the card in force and had other PenFed products, like a CD or money market account.

Never mind. I see they created a "Plus" category allowing new Platinum Cash Rewards Card members to get the 5%.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I'll be getting the 5% for gas. I have a couple of CDs and a Roth IRA (5% CDs) there.