Join Early Retirement Today

Memorial Day
Old 05-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Memorial Day

Hi to all my FIRE colleagues.

Just a gentle reminder to take a moment tomorrow and commemorate our fallen warriors . Just as important, kindly and respectfully correct folks that think of it as a day to celebrate.

I would also respectfully ask that you consider how local business' use this day. Do they honor our fallen, or do they promote their products (ie, Memorial Day Sale).

I am an old, worn out soldier - - - and grateful to be one. Serving this great country was a high honor. Along the way, I lost several friends and others that I knew.

All gave some - some gave all.

Thank you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
gone traveling

Yep, making the 3 store Goodwill loop tomorrow, 25% off

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post

Just a gentle reminder to take a moment tomorrow and commemorate our fallen warriors . Just as important, kindly and respectfully correct folks that think of it as a day to celebrate.

I would also respectfully ask that you consider how local business' use this day. Do they honor our fallen, or do they promote their products (ie, Memorial Day Sale).

I am an old, worn out soldier - - - and grateful to be one. Serving this great country was a high honor. Along the way, I lost several friends and others that I knew.

Thank you.
Thank you for reminding us of what Memorial Day is all about.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just another little item that has always bothered me.

Please don't make a point of thanking a veteran for their service on Memorial Day. It's not about us -- we have Veteran's Day in November. It always made me feel very awkward when someone made that comment to me. Memorial Day is about the fallen.

Also, if possible, put your flag at half-staff first thing in the morning, and at noon raise it high for the rest of the day. It's a special flag protocol just for this one day, to get us to think about it.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just another little item that has always bothered me.

Please don't make a point of thanking a veteran for their service on Memorial Day. It's not about us -- we have Veteran's Day in November. It always made me feel very awkward when someone made that comment to me. Memorial Day is about the fallen.

Also, if possible, put your flag at half-staff first thing in the morning, and at noon raise it high for the rest of the day. It's a special flag protocol just for this one day, to get us to think about it.
Thanks braumeister for the flag information. I was not aware of the special flag protocol.

Don't forget the survivors of the fallen, as their lives were changed forever.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Administrator

For my fallen classmates:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

-- Laurence Binyon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33345886_1715496858486938_5821992125809557504_n.jpg (68.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:

Thank you.
Thank you and another worn out combat vet who lost friends while serving a cause greater than themselves and gone way too early.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would also respectfully ask that you consider how local business' use this day. Do they honor our fallen, or do they promote their products (ie, Memorial Day Sale). ...
This always bothers me, I have several promotions in my email inbox now, and it just seems so tacky to use a day like this to promote their products (especially completely unrelated products).

I think I will write each of them today, and request that they stop co-opting every 'honor' holiday as a promotion, or drop me from their email lists (no big loss anyway).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well said, and although not the original purpose of memorial day, it also does make me think about our first responders that have fallen.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Father reminded me that this day is to commemorate the fallen, and I shouldn't thank him for his service. I knew that, but still thanked him (as well as my uncles who served) because, as I told him, He wouldn't be around to hear me thank him in later years. I know that Nov. 11 is the day for living Vets, but I saw photos of my Father when he enlisted, and when he got out, so I know that a part of him died on the beaches of Okinawa. So I will continue to say it with gusto.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY .
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Yes I also hate that stores use it to promote sales. All my male relatives were in various wars as well as all 3 of my spouses. My step son is serving now. They are all heroes.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Today we have the grandchildren and took them to see a Missing Man Table and explain the meaning. Both DH and I are veterans and want them to understand to the degree they are capable.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

A few pictures of the Memorial Day commemoration in our area. There were many families with children in the crowd but the overall number of people has been nearly the same (not growing) for the 30 years we’ve been attending.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

IMG_7352.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG
Old 05-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Well said, and although not the original purpose of memorial day, it also does make me think about our first responders that have fallen.
I honor them as well. Anyone who is running to danger (to end it) has my eternal gratitude.

As the dumbass that I tend to be. I just consider the military as first responders with nuclear weapons.

But on a more somber note, I consider first responders as brothers and sisters in service to our community; as the military is for our country.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #16

Quote:

Thank you.

Thank you for your service!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #17

Fellow combat vet here. I have no problem with sales on holidays. One of the things I fought for was capitalism.

The pastor at my former church on Memorial day would ask the active duty and vets to stand and be recognized. After year two I had a talk with him about the meaning of Memorial day. He then changed his routine and recognized us on Armed Forces Day and Veterans Day.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
My Father reminded me that this day is to commemorate the fallen, and I shouldn't thank him for his service. I knew that, but still thanked him (as well as my uncles who served) because, as I told him, He wouldn't be around to hear me thank him in later years. I know that Nov. 11 is the day for living Vets, but I saw photos of my Father when he enlisted, and when he got out, so I know that a part of him died on the beaches of Okinawa. So I will continue to say it with gusto.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY .
I agree. I do not need to be thanked for my service, but I appreciate the sentiment and intention whenever it is offered. I do not see how it demeans or takes away from our fallen veterans to do it on Memorial Day. Correcting someone for doing a good deed on the "wrong" day seems counter-productive and nit-picky (if that is a word).

oneill225 is offline   Reply With Quote