Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

aaw jeez...i didn't want to expose myself here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pucca pic.jpg (2.6 KB, 167 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
aaw jeez...i didn't want to expose myself here...
HOT!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've found in later life that the "nerd factor" is far more appreciated than it was in high school...something about "earning power" plays into it?
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hooked up with my now husband because I thought he was hot. He is really tall (which is what I go for) and when he walked into my office to introduce him self to my boss all I could think of was Hummm, look at that big man over there. Now I do not know if I had sized myself up before that to see if I should make a move but quite frankly I don't think I was thinking that logically at the time. He looked good, I signaled interest, he bit, the rest was just reeling him in. Like fishing.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Great points. There was a 50s Calypso song sung by Harry Belafonte that included the line-(which interestingly I remember 50 years on)

"I you want to be oh so happy,
Marry a woman uglier than you!"

Ha
Sorry Mike , but comparing you to all the cute pictures you post, another Belafonte song comes to mind: Mama Look A Boo Boo.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
plus, people become more attractive to you as you get to know them and like them - it's almost as if the internal beauty shines through, whereas the internal ugliness can shine through as well, marring the physical external attrativeness.
My ex-husband was not physically attractive to me when I first met him but his internal qualities began to shine through almost immediately and I came to view him as very "hot." Unfortunately, the opposite seemed to be true for him, i.e. I seemed very "hot" to him at first and he was drawn to my attractiveness, but after two kids and some years of marriage, he was looking around for other "hotness." Why does sound like an old country song?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
My ex-husband was not physically attractive to me when I first met him but his internal qualities began to shine through almost immediately and I came to view him as very "hot." Unfortunately, the opposite seemed to be true for him, i.e. I seemed very "hot" to him at first and he was drawn to my attractiveness, but after two kids and some years of marriage, he was looking around for other "hotness." Why does sound like an old country song?
Sorry to hear of your story, its actually quite common. Sadly, neither partner in a marriage is likely to remain "hot" from an outward appearance standpoint more than 20 years or so into it.

Now us geeks on the other hand, stay geeky forever
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Sorry to hear of your story, its actually quite common. Sadly, neither partner in a marriage is likely to remain "hot" from an outward appearance standpoint more than 20 years or so into it.

Now us geeks on the other hand, stay geeky forever
Also, many women will overlook a lack of physical hotness if there is financial hotness (lots of it). Frankly, I could never marry for $$$, but apparently the practice is still alive and well.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Also, many women will overlook a lack of physical hotness if there is financial hotness (lots of it). Frankly, I could never marry for $$$, but apparently the practice is still alive and well.
Sigh...

Now that I'm older and working, you would be amazed how interest quickly perks up for women after they meet me when it maybe wasn't there at first (or perhaps they hide it). My dress sense is professional for work, so when I say what I do, their eyes light up in the conversation and get much more friendly with me. I did not date most of these women, but one which I did recently was uber-nice to me throughout the whole process - the kind of nice where I sensed something was not right.

I was very catious with her (as with everyone; got burned badly in my last relationship so I take things slow), but within two months she is telling me that I'm the perfect guy. I never slept with her, nor did anything 'major' happen during our brief dating. When I backed off, she told me in a bitter tone "I can't wait to find my rich husband to use his money" among other variations of her future rich spouse. Funny thing is, is that I'm not rich. I dress well for work and have a fancy job title - the rest I plow into savings and outside of work you would think I'm plain Joe from how I dress and how I spend.

I find it pretty common from what I've seen, which is tough for me because I'm a mushy sap and want to date and marry for love. I want to be honest with people I date, but some people have ulterior motives so I'm cautious with what I dish out.
Pavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

When I met Frank about seven years ago, neither one of us had any money. I remember that I was SO relieved when I found out that he had a car nearly as bad as my beat-up old dirty unreliable Plymouth K-car, so that he wouldn't think poorly of me due to my crummy car. We are both doing quite a bit better financially by now.

I don't think either of us was thinking on those first dates that the other was physically "hot", because we were both so glad to meet an intelligent person of the opposite sex that we could actually communicate with, without getting bored.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
When I met Frank about seven years ago, neither one of us had any money. I remember that I was SO relieved when I found out that he had a car nearly as bad as my beat-up old dirty unreliable Plymouth K-car, so that he wouldn't think poorly of me due to my crummy car. We are both doing quite a bit better financially by now.

I don't think either of us was thinking on those first dates that the other was physically "hot", because we were both so glad to meet an intelligent person of the opposite sex that we could actually communicate with, without getting bored.
As Mother used to say:
"At some point you have to get out of bed and start talking."
Old 09-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
K cars are hot........

My grandma has a 1985 Aries K with 25,000 miles..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavo View Post
Sigh...

Now that I'm older and working, you would be amazed how interest quickly perks up for women after they meet me when it maybe wasn't there at first (or perhaps they hide it). My dress sense is professional for work, so when I say what I do, their eyes light up in the conversation and get much more friendly with me. I did not date most of these women, but one which I did recently was uber-nice to me throughout the whole process - the kind of nice where I sensed something was not right.

I find it pretty common from what I've seen, which is tough for me because I'm a mushy sap and want to date and marry for love. I want to be honest with people I date, but some people have ulterior motives so I'm cautious with what I dish out.
Yes, this is a tough situation for men like you. My sympathies. Some men would just enjoy the ride, especially with younger women attracted to an older man who is financially comfortable. My only advice, from a woman's standpoint, is to meet women who are your age, thereabouts, who are financially comfortable or at least competent themselves.

Lots of women still want to meet a "rich" guy who will take away the stress of maintaining financial security. Some are just worried about their own retirement, which is a legitimate worry and they think marriage will solve the problem. I hear this from the horse's mouth. IMHO, they are fooling themselves because divorce is rampant in our country.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Frankly, I doubt that. From my 58 years of experience with men on this planet, I have a hard time believe that a man would be just interested in a woman because he "could actually communite" with her. There's always physical attraction going on, if not immediate, then soon.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........ There's always physical attraction going on, if not immediate, then soon.
Alright guys! Who told?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Frankly, I doubt that. From my 58 years of experience with men on this planet, I have a hard time believe that a man would be just interested in a woman because he "could actually communite" with her. There's always physical attraction going on, if not immediate, then soon.
Who knew?

I am just relaying what he tells me...

Edited to add: Somehow I just can't believe that all men are exactly the same. It doesn't seem fair to men to dismiss them this way. I truly think that Frank is an exceptional man in many ways and doesn't fit into anybody's mold but his own.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
K cars are hot........

My grandma has a 1985 Aries K with 25,000 miles..........
My K-car was embarrassing! It was an ugly, worn out, falling apart, filthy Plymouth Acclaim with a bashed in side and a bazillion miles on it.

I got the grand sum of $200 for it when I traded it in on a new 2000 Camry Solara.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
As Mother used to say:
"At some point you have to get out of bed and start talking."
Your mother was right!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who knew?

I am just relaying what he tells me...

Edited to add: Somehow I just can't believe that all men are exactly the same. It doesn't seem fair to men to dismiss them this way. I truly think that Frank is an exceptional man in many ways and doesn't fit into anybody's mold but his own.
I am sure he is all that you say he is. (I think there really is something to be said, for you a Frank having seperate residence it keeps illusions romance alive.

Still I am sure OldBabe is right, even among my friends who married woman I found very unattractive, my buddies always found phyically characteristic that attracted them. Although, in one case she was a great cook, and unfortunately their waistlines continued to "benefit".
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #40

I have no problem believing what W2R says about the initial stages of her relationship, and I doubt that Frank was lying when he told her what he did. Nor do I believe that all men react the same or are looking for the same thing.

It's been my experience that people I care about become more attractive as I get to know them more. When I was in the "courtship" stage, I tried to keep an open mind.

Obviously, if someone was physically repulsive, I couldn't get past that. But that's relatively rare. Based on the experience of my first failed marriage, I was looking for intelligence, similarity in values and beliefs, and shared goals (in other words, the ingredients for a life together, rather than just a wild weekend). I was not interested in someone 20 years younger than me--seems like way too much difference in life experience. I'm done being a parent.

However, nothing I have said above should be construed to mean that I can't enjoy looking at exceptionally good-looking women.