Join Early Retirement Today

Men in Kilts and Other Unbifurcated Garments
Old 10-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Men in Kilts and Other Unbifurcated Garments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I'm color blind so am often guilty of wearing things that others find offensive to look at (or maybe it's just me they find offensive). When I was a teenager I was able to avoid the problem by having a wardrobe that consisted entirely of blue jeans and white T-shirts. Today I depend on my DW to choose my dress if I need more than my Carharts and T-shirts.
sorry SG, I understand what your saying, but I have to ask ...are there any guys that are exploring new ways to dress themselves...gals get to dress anyway they like, why is that?...why can't we guys... I have half a mind to get me skirt kilt out of closet and do my erands in it....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Scott Burn's Swan Song?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #2

Scott Burn's Swan Song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
sorry SG, I understand what your saying, but I have to ask ...are there any guys that are exploring new ways to dress themselves...gals get to dress anyway they like, why is that?...why can't we guys... I have half a mind to get me skirt kilt out of closet and do my erands in it....
I want man skirts. And I want them to be socially acceptable in manly colors. Why should we have to wear legged garments below our waist? I have a kilt but have only worn it to renaissance fairs. I'm not very conformist, but I'm not aggressively antiestablishment, either. Well, I did shop in convenience stores on the way to/from the fairs...people seem to like the kilt.

(I am sure Scott Burns would love to come to a place where a thread about his impending retirement is hijacked--with the help of a moderator no less--into a man skirt discussion.)

EDIT: Spelling. (waist=waste? what was I thinking?)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Scott Burn's Swan Song?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Scott Burn's Swan Song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I want man skirts. And I want them to be socially acceptable in manly colors. Why should we have to wear legged garments below our waste? I have a kilt but have only worn it to renaissance fairs. I'm not very conformist, but I'm not aggressively antiestablishment, either. Well, I did shop in convenience stores on the way to/from the fairs...people seem to like the kilt.

(
Quote:
I have half a mind to get me skirt kilt out of closet and do my erands in it....
And then a group photo of our ERs mooning the enemy ala Braveheart.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Scott Burn's Swan Song?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
But see...if all your choices were 'red or white' or 'wine or beer', you could just get along with the process and not be standing there in that long wine aisle for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to get!
Banish the thought!!!!

Imagine a world that consisted only of Merlot, California Chardonnay and Bud Lite - probably not worth living.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Banish the thought!!!!

Imagine a world that consisted only of Merlot, California Chardonnay and Bud Lite - probably not worth living.
I get the outside two, but California Chardonnay can be good! Some one here has a signature saying beer is proof God loves us. Well I'm here to tell you Bud is proof of the devil. I get a hangover while I'm drinking it! Give me a Molson any day!

On a larger note, I love all the choices I have. I can't even believe my luck at having 300 wines to choose from in my local grocery store. Trader Joe's is the greatest! 300 cable channels rule! 17 value menu choices at my local fast food chain rock! I feel like a King every day, because I can always have it my way!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I get the outside two, but California Chardonnay can be good!* Some one here has a signature saying beer is proof God loves us.* . . .

300 cable channels rule!*

I feel like a King every day
- California Chardonnay can be good (that's usually when it tastes like white Burgundy - also a Chardonnay).

- "Beer is proof God loves us and want us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin (a very smart man )

- I still haven't figured out what to do with 300 channels

- "I feel like a King every day" - I sometimes stop and marvel at all of the wonderful indulgences and conveniences we have, and how much harder life was for earlier generations. I try to be as thankful as I can, and I know I am not nearly thankful enough.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #7

Scott Burn's Swan Song?

Quote:
I want man skirts. And I want them to be socially acceptable in manly colors.
Hey, BMJ,

Try http://www.utilikilts.com/
or http://www.skortman.com/*
or http://heavyred.com/product.php?xProd=22&xSec=8.

Do any of these 'float your boat'?

omni

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Scott Burn's Swan Song?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Scott Burn's Swan Song?

Quote:
I want man skirts. And I want them to be socially acceptable in manly colors. Why should we have to wear legged garments below our waist?
It's not unusual to see Samoans around here wearing lava-lava, but heaven help you if you snicker or point...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Scott Burn's Swan Song?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #9

Scott Burn's Swan Song?

Here I am venturing forth from the glen to do the grocery shopping.
Notice the accessorizing and how it completes the outfit.

And here are my brother's in skirts. Not a girly man among them. On second view there may be one who I would not give a hearty hello to...

http://tinyurl.com/7hv4j
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Scott Burn's Swan Song?
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #10

Scott Burn's Swan Song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550
utilitkilts: Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Those look very comfortable and useful. I'll bookmark that site.
skortman: Nonononononononononononononononononononononononono nonono!
heavyred: I can't make a decision because the models scare me...or are those propped-up cadavers?

Quote:
And here are my brother's in skirts. Not a girly man among them. On second view there may be one who I would not give a hearty hello to...

http://tinyurl.com/7hv4j
I find the dashiki intriguing but wouldn't wear such bright and bold colors myself. The kilts are of course very manly. The lava-lava might be okay in situations where we might currently consider a hawaiian shirt. The longyi and sulu have potential, but I can't tell for sure from those photos. I could also go for a tupenu.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #11

This thread has become so entertaining that I almost hate to mention it, but when I said,
Quote:
Today I depend on my DW to choose my dress if I need more than my Carharts and T-shirts.
it was a typo. After all the discussion this generated, I'm thinking of going out and buying a dress. I feel guilty sitting around in my shorts and T-shirt.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:38 AM   #12

Quote:
utilitkilts: Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Those look very comfortable and useful. I'll bookmark that site.
skortman: Nonononononononononononononononononononononononono nonono!
heavyred: I can't make a decision because the models scare me...or are those propped-up cadavers?

I find the dashiki intriguing but wouldn't wear such bright and bold colors myself. The kilts are of course very manly. The lava-lava might be okay in situations where we might currently consider a hawaiian shirt. The longyi and sulu have potential, but I can't tell for sure from those photos. I could also go for a tupenu.
Wranglers man! Get a grip

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

When Wal-mart sells kilts, maybe I'll try one. Would it go well with my rusty old farm truck?
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Dickie's coveralls - summer or winter weight - and no - I haven't primered the rusty fender on the truck - yet.

Indian summer the other day - Aloha shirt and cutoff's as a change up.

I notice Tractor Supply doesn't sell white fishermens boots in Missouri - may have to get a care package from down South.

Heh heh heh.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
It's not unusual to see Samoans around here wearing lava-lava, but heaven help you if you snicker or point...
Samoans are usually big people, right?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 AM   #16

In temperatures above the mid 50s, I ride my bicycle wearing skintight shorts for comfort. I suspect wearing a loose kilt might be too revealing and hazardeous to my health when I zip across town by bike. I love shorts and would wear a kilt when walking around. I must admit my legs are in great shape and would be admired by all (I live in a very liberal city).
Guys during hot weather, don't forget the apply the deet to keep those exposed parts protected from the biting bugs.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #17

My husband has great legs--I wouldn't mind seeing him in a kilt. But the way guys sit can be very revealing
Old 10-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
My husband has great legs--I wouldn't mind seeing him in a kilt. But the way guys sit can be very revealing
As long as we're not talking about the miniskirt-style "kilt" from the skortman site above, kilts are fairly long and pleated and aren't revealing when you sit spread-eagle:

https://secure.utilikilts.com/homepa...mphotos/15.jpg
https://secure.utilikilts.com/homepa...mphotos/10.jpg

Wind gusts, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Wranglers man! Get a grip
I think Wrangler would make a great manskirt.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
But the way guys sit can be very revealing
And that's a bad thing? LOL

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I can think of two skirt events I have had in my life, that would apply to kilts.

One was in junio high school, I slipped when getting out of the school bus and my skirt ended up around my waist.

Another was a wind event when crossing a street.

I remember mini-skirts and carefully walking up stairs tucking your butt in enough so not too much would show.

Pants and shorts for me, thank-you.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote