Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Men, women, relationships and money

This article is a few months old, but it is interesting: http://www.lawyers.com/pdc/pressroom...le_redbook.asp

Based on a harris Interactive survey of 1796 adults ages 25 to 55 in "commited" relationships:

--1/3 have been dishonest with their partner about spending habits

--41% of women are in charge of the household budget, and only 21% of men

--42% of men are in charge of investment decisions, and only 12% of women

--38% of men are in charge of retirement savings, and only 14% of women

--31% of men are in charge of debt repayment and only 22% of women.

The article doesn't define "in charge" or how many people make joint decisions. But it is interesting how many people do not identify decisions as joint.

FWIW

__________________

__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-25-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
--42% of men are in charge of investment decisions, and only 12% of women
Ok, so 54%. Does that mean the other 46% dont invest, decide jointly, or declined to respond?

Some of my wifes stories about co-workers are really pretty scary. Theres one guy that gets an "allowance" from his wife to spend on his lunch and anything else he wants to buy without her permission. I wonder if he has to call her "mommy" when he asks for something
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I wonder if he has to call her "mommy" when he asks for something
Mommy, can I have a BJ?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,287
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Ok, so 54%.* Does that mean the other 46% dont invest, decide jointly, or declined to respond?

Some of my wifes stories about co-workers are really pretty scary.* Theres one guy that gets an "allowance" from his wife to spend on his lunch and anything else he wants to buy without her permission.* I wonder if he has to call her "mommy" when he asks for something
My sister and BIL does that... they each get their allowance... do anything you want with it, but all other decisions must be made by both... obviously you are still new to it all..
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Mommy, can I have a BJ?
I had this horrible momentary mental picture involving bill and hillary :P
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,619
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Ok, so 54%.* Does that mean the other 46% dont invest, decide jointly, or declined to respond?
We're a team. That means spouse gets to make the decisions and I get to do the work.

So technically I'm in charge of all that stuff and she's only in charge of the decisions. Sort of the way Reagan ran the White House...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
thefed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,203
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Mommy, can I have a BJ?
i wish thats all it took!!!!
__________________
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We're a team. That means spouse gets to make the decisions and I get to do the work.
We're on the same program here at la casa bunny...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,375
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We're a team. That means spouse gets to make the decisions and I get to do the work.
Ditto, inclduing my doing the financial planning--but he loads a mean dishwasher as long as I keep up his morale. Minds out of the bedroom guys, I mean cooking and planning a social life, cultural events, nature treks, etc. Well, the other stuff, too
__________________
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.
astromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,352
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Because of some operations, I had large tubes put in pubic places and caused those parts to enlarge, since that time I have been very popular with the ladies and relationships have flourished but the money has flowed like wine.
__________________
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Outtahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,677
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

OAP, I'm going to put my imagination to work and picture the women chasing you down the street waving money at you.
__________________

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We're a team. That means spouse gets to make the decisions and I get to do the work.
The Princess has a more simple program - we share the benefits of my work - what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers as well. I'm confused about this teamwork stuff.
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Your job is to guard the pitcher of margueritas water cooler... :P

I learned this in high school sports... :
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 179
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Because of some operations, I had large tubes put in pubic places and caused those parts to enlarge, since that time I have been very popular with the ladies and relationships have flourished but the money has flowed like wine.
Hello OAP:

Did you mean "public" places? More and better advertising for the ladies that way. Just kidding!

Oh, btw, what's going on with the Jewish Princess and the young (ghost-interested) lady from Haight? Met any more interesting characters in your building or in the neighborhood?

Toejam

__________________
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Ok, so 54%. Does that mean the other 46% dont invest, decide jointly, or declined to respond?

Some of my wifes stories about co-workers are really pretty scary. Theres one guy that gets an "allowance" from his wife to spend on his lunch and anything else he wants to buy without her permission. I wonder if he has to call her "mommy" when he asks for something
Hey, I get an "allowance"!

Our household is just like the plurality/majority responses in the article, She does the day to day financing, my paycheck gets auto deposited mostly in her account with $100 into mine (my allowance). But I do all the financing and debt payment decision making, including when/if to refinance, how to pay for big ticket items, stuff like that. She enjoys paying the bills and managing the day to day which by all means, I'll be happy to stay out of the way on that! We both run any purchase over $40 past each other.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Same here, except our "check with me" limit is a thousand bucks. Mostly because I want to make sure theres enough in the checking acct.

Truth is, she works and watches the baby most of the time when she's off, and I do everything else. She says its like staying at a really nice hotel with a great restaurant and concierge service.

Every once in a while I update a 3 page letter that says where our money is, why its there, and what she should consider doing with it over time, how our bills are paid, etc.

She has said that she misses cutting the lawn once in a while. I may indulge her this summer when its 100 out.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,619
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
She has said that she misses cutting the lawn once in a while.
Send her over to our yard anytime; we'll even provide the mower.

I'll give you our kid as collateral...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Whadda ya think, i'm stoopid? You'll never want her back. When she sees that we leave the keys for the lexus on the counter, she'll never wanna go back either
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,134
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Whadda ya think, i'm stoopid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
See? Once again I show restraint...
What he said...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Men, women, relationships and money
Old 05-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Men, women, relationships and money

Ah, you just had nothing to say...
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ten stupidest mistakes made by the newly self employed cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 6 04-14-2006 10:06 PM
In-laws may need my money - how to cope? justin Other topics 23 03-19-2006 01:43 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.