Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flowbee factory direct Also Flowbee deluxe with vacuum

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I too use the local barber and prefer it. However, here in CT the local barber is $18...not much of deal compared to some of your locations. To those of you that DIY at home with clippers, how do you deal with the mess? That is really the only thing keeping me from doing it myself. I don't want hair everywhere in my bathroom, and clogging my sink.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
To those of you that DIY at home with clippers, how do you deal with the mess?
Back porch...or front porch, if you want to entertain the neighbors.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #24

It's all about the relationship! I've been going to the same place for 20 years and I know what I will get. I pay too much, however, and have for years. If ever I can't afford it, I'll have to change, I was surprised at what most have paid for hair cuts.

Great question and a lot of great answers. thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Back porch...or front porch, if you want to entertain the neighbors.
Out in the yard....either front or back.... If the hair is long enough the birdies can use it in their nests. If the birdies only pick at the fallen hair, time to visit the drugstore.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I work with a bunch of engineers & manager types, so I try to stay reasonably neat. I go to a local barber shop on average about once a month...sometimes twice. After 33 years of military haircuts, it's hard to break the cycle. Growing up, my dad was a barber, with his own shop. We didn't live too far from Ft. Bragg. Guess what kind of haircut he specialized in? lol
Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Local barber every couple of months. Three barbers there, but only one does a good job on my hair (Friar Tuck look). I wait for my barber to be free. $14 + tip.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I cut my own hair with a pair of barber's scissors. I just watched how the stylists used three fingers to set the height of the cut and mimicked what I saw them doing. Close enough for ER work
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #29

I know you don't want to hear about the DW doing my hair, but she's been doing it for me since we came to Tokyo. We bought a set of clippers for 18 bucks, same as I would have paid at the time for a cut...one cut...twelve years ago. We've saved at least $2574 in that period of time, assuming 1 cut per month and subtracting the 18 buck investment...I usually get a cut every 3 weeks, max 5 weeks. It takes about 5 minutes, start to finish including sweeping the floor. It is short enough that in a pinch, I can even do it myself.

Before coming to Tokyo I always went to one of the chains. There were several of them in our town, but as far as I am aware, there were no more barber poles in town.

R
Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #30

My ex wife was really good at cutting hair. I'd let her do it anytime. But my current DW...not so much. I'd rather pay. I have most of my dad's barber tools, including clippers. One of these days, maybe after I retire, I might try doing my own. If I mess it up, at least I can hide out in the house till it grows back.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #31

Local barber, Johnnie, who's 79. $11 plus tip, about every 6 weeks or so. And he has Playboy magazines.

Coach
Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
And he has Playboy magazines.
And gets to write them off as a business expense. Maybe our tax code does have some redeeming qualities.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #33
gone traveling

Since I'm an "old guy" I still perfer to go to the place that has the barber poll (a representation of bloody bandages wrapped around a pole, in the ancient past).

Most of the barbers I've gone through the years were former servicemen who learned their trade via "service to their country", and I still think about that when selecting a new barber (as the old ones pass on).

Current barber cost? $13 (plus $2 tip).

Since I only go every three months or so (and yes, I do have a full head of hair, but I keep it "shaggy") it costs $60/year, or just over $1/week.

I can afford it ...
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Mr B goes to the Freebird Barbershop, where the price is $0 and tips are optional.
He has a great hair trimmer with different length snap-on comb attachments. I am getting very good at using it. I do detail work with a pair of long bladed hair cutting scissors. He does his own sideburns, eyebrows and mustache.
I will do touchups around the ears and back hairline and neck fuzzies in between full haircuts.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #35

I use the Flowbee and have been using it for about 10 or 15 years.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Late 60's, in college in a big city, find local barber who does nice job. He opens own shop (1 chair) 15 miles away and I follow. He retires (super story for another time), and turns shop over to older guy. 1st guy is mainly scissors and comb guy--2nd guy is mostly a clippers guy. I go every season--4 times a year. I have a battery operated set of clippers, scissors, and razor at home. Have to keep trimming nose, ears, neck, eyebrows, around the ears, etc., all the time. Amazing what getting old does to you--never had to bother with it 'back in the day'.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I go to a local Unisex shop that charges 60 pesos (up from 40 pesos 2 years ago) or about $5 every 6 weeks. When I return north, it is a local shop where the seniors rate is $15.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #38

I have been going to the same local barber for over 30 years. He is now 86 years old. He has had health problems, but my guess is he would soon be dead if he did not come to his one man shop and cut hair every day. I know he does not need the money. His shop is in a bad part of town and he usually keeps the front door locked. He deals only in cash. You knock and he lets you in, like a speak-easy. He does not make appointments. He has an extremely loyal following, like me, of mostly retired men. Some young military guys come in in their cammies to get their white sidewalls. I guess they like the price. He charges $6 and I give him a $2 tip. He always acts surprised and very grateful for the tip.

When you sit down in the chair he will resume the conversation you were having the last time you were there and also fill you in on how his other loyal customers are doing.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #39

And what ever happened to the barber shaving you with his straight blade razer and the chair with the leather strap for sharpening??

Now, I use SportClips, #6 clipper, takes 5 minutes and cost $17 + tip.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I cut my own hair with a pair of barber's scissors. I just watched how the stylists used three fingers to set the height of the cut and mimicked what I saw them doing. Close enough for ER work
+1

regarding the mess... over the bathroom sink then just use a paper towel to grab it all and dump it in the trash.

I also do the back just by feel. No problem... no snickers as I walk down the street.