Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This past weekend my woman friend asked me if I had intended to leave a rat-tail. I hadn't, so she snipped it for me.

I do notice that for several days after a selfcut I need to keep an eye out for unmowed clumps or strands.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I forgot to say in my post above that I go to a local hair stylist type place. Not because I get some kind of fancy haircut, but just because I can't find anybody else who cuts my hair the way I want it. So I pay her $10 and a tip. Like I said earlier, my dad was a long-time barber, and when he died, my sisters somehow found a casket with a barber pole on it. He would have loved that...it was perfect.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For years I went to a local barber shop where my son-in-law's dad cut my hair. (We had great fun with the uninformed customers-in-waiting watching us argue about which had the smartest, cutest grandkids!). For a while after his death from lung cancer I went to the same shop but now DW cuts it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #44

I move around to three "local" barbers. My favorite barber is one I've been going to since 1998 when I moved to this area. Then I moved about 10 miles and found another barber but discovered that the first guy was the best. Then I moved another 10 miles away so now I'm 22 miles from my favorite barber. Do I drive there just to get a haircut? No. But, if we are in the area, I'll make a special side trip just for a haircut. Highest price is $11 plus tip. I've had a "flat top" since I retired in 1988. Not much hair left now but barber #1 still does the best job.

In this area a lot of barbers will give you the military type haircut, which is "high and tight". I don't like that look. I tell my barber that he's a genius. He can take a guy with a round head and not much hair and still make it look like a flattop. He spends half the alloted time on my eyebrows.Two weeks and I'm ready for another as the back gets scruffy. Can't stand for my neck to start to itch.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Been using the same local barber for 33 years. Single chair shop. Appointments only. Beer in the fridge. Playboys in the rack. Guys hanging around. $15 includes tip. (Also give a generous tip at the Holidays.) Go about once per month whether I need a haircut or not. What's that got to do with it?

I dread finding another spot. It would just seem wrong to call for an appointment and not have the barber recognize your voice.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Locally owned barber shop. Lori has been cutting my hair for past 20 years. She and I are about the same age, and we are both getting older "together".
Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I go to a salon that sets me back $27 every 4 weeks. Only reason I haven't stopped it, the stylist is a family friend and good friend of DW. But if we ever move, I am going for the cheapest place I can find and I will probably avoid establishing a relationship with anyone. What's left of my hair should be easy enough for anyone to cut, and if they botched it, it wouldn't really bother me much - I don't seem to be attracting young women anymore (if I ever did)...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

My gal and I trade cuts - I just whack hers straight across the back, soaking wet, brushed straight back, with her sitting on the edge of the tub, chin toward her chest to get kind of an undercut. Mine takes much longer - she studied some of the tips in one of those Hollywood barber reality shows - keeping the scissors at 90 degrees to the head was a big tip. I think she does real well - artistic bent and colors her own hair much better than the hairdressers she has had do it in the past.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #49

I am at 1/2 inch on the dog clippers, Ms G only does the back of my neck.

Option # 2 front porch naked, but there is no one within a mile that can see me.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I usually get my hair cut while on a trip, so not at a local place. It's even more fun when it's overseas and you don't speak the language. Nevertheless, I meet some of the nicest folks and have fun talking about all sorts of things.

When my kids were young, I got a book title something like "Anybody Can Cut Hair" and taught myself how to cut someone's hair. My kids have often requested that I cut their hair even as teenagers. Have you ever cut your daughter's hair?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

For decades did the worker bee cut, high and tight at barber.
Now that i have been an exhausted drone for almost 4 years, i do the salon, nice work done, listen to a bit of girl gab, way diff than barber.
When ileave am happy and whistling, imagine they are lol, makes it a fun experience for both of us.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Option # 2 front porch naked, but there is no one within a mile that can see me.
I'm going to try this option in my neighborhood. Won't need to cut the hair though, as several of my next hair cuts would be free (in jail).
Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
I'm going to try this option in my neighborhood. Won't need to cut the hair though, as several of my next hair cuts would be free (in jail).
Free meals too!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #54

During boot camp in the mid '60s our company had gone gone to the base barber shop for our weekly haircut. We had to wait for the new group of recruits who beat us there. When the first recruit (who had shoulder length hair) sat in the chair the barber asked how he wanted his hair cut. Our jaws dropped. We could not believe what we heard. The barber went on to tell the new recruit the policy had just been changed and they could have their hair cut to any style and length desired. The new recruit went into great detail on how he wanted his hair cut. The barber acknowledged the newbies request. The barber then takes about 4 swipes with the shears. The results would have rivaled a lady with a razor going after her legs. The rest of us laughed and gave a sigh of relief. We were worried that the military had gone soft.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Locally owned shop but they have 3 locations! $8 plus $2 tip and never a line on a week day.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Local redneck barber. He charges $12 and has a sign that reads 'including tip'. I take the sign at face value and only pay the listed price.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #57

I go to the officially mixed, but in practice 80% women/18% kids/2% men salon where we used to take the kids. They have cool stuff like video game consoles for the kids to play on, making the whole experience fun, which is unusually adventurous marketing for France. I always get my hair cut by the owner, who is male. DW goes to another local salon and always has the same person, again male.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #58

I've gone to Bud, sole proprietor, owner and janitor of Hairforce One for nearly 20 years.

When he finished last time he gave me a mirror and said "How'd I do?" I pointed at my growing bald spot and said "Ya know, Bud, when I started coming here in '94 that wasn't a problem. Neither was the gray. I think I want a refund." He chuckled, pointing at his own increasingly shiny head. "If I knew how to fix that, I'd try it on myself first!"

I paid up, and gave him a homebrew for later.

I'd never have stiffed Bud, anyways. He is a world class champion in the deadlift.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I get my quarterly cut at the Camp Bullis TX PX for around $8...not counting the $1 tip.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Never mind. It's been over nine years since my last haircut and I have no idea where I'd go if I wanted one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Back porch...or front porch, if you want to entertain the neighbors.
Over the compost pile... it's great recycling material!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote