Men's jewelry: turquoise and silver?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't see this in men's magazines at all, but do see this style on rich rock stars, so am asking if the men here would consider wearing a piece of jewelry made of turquoise and silver (rings, bracelets, belts, necklaces)? Is this popular at all today with the average guy?

I've never had any jewelry other than a wedding ring (plain,gold).

I don't see this in men's magazines at all, but do see this style on rich rock stars, so am asking if the men here would consider wearing a piece of jewelry made of turquoise and silver (rings, bracelets, belts, necklaces)? Is this popular at all today with the average guy?

I am thinking you're asking the wrong board. I'm guessing most men here don't wear necklaces, bracelets, and belts with gemstones. (for one, think all the LBYM threads -- I wouldn't call this board "average" when it comes to splurging on jewelry...)

Plus, most men I know don't really pay attention to accessories worn by people around them. (This finding dramatically reduced my jewelry expense)

Of course that's painting it with a really broad brush. As a woman, I think turquoise and silver are excellent together. :)

Last edited:
so am asking if the men here would consider wearing a piece of jewelry made of turquoise and silver (rings, bracelets, belts, necklaces)?

No. I wear no jewelry beside a watch and wedding band. But just as a matter of opinion, turquoise is a bit feminine for my taste. darker stones like onyx or lapis lazuli could work I guess for men.

Silver & Turquoise Bolo Ties, watch bands, & belt buckles are (& have always been) popular & look good on men who like to dress western style

(not my style personally, but I don't have a problem with it)

Most turquoise & silver are relatively cheap as far as jewelry goes

......so am asking if the men here would consider wearing a piece of jewelry made of turquoise and silver (rings, bracelets, belts, necklaces)? Is this popular at all today with the average guy?

I've got 2 or 3 turquoise & silver rings, a couple of bolo ties, and a couple of belt buckles. I bought most of the stuff several years ago, when I'd pass through Albuquerque, NM a couple of times a year on my way to/from CA. Most of them I haven't worn in few years, but I wear one of the rings occasionally if I dress up......I bought it while I was at the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago.

I like turquoise & silver, and also Black Hills Gold with onyx. I own a few pieces of each.

Most men don't seem to wear much jewelry, but in L.A. and probably Florida they do (I'm talking the average guy here). I know this look is muy popular in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, etc.--all the Western part of the U.S. Didn't see much of this look in Houston as that is basically a blue collar town where jewelry isn't so popular for many reasons (for the men only, of course, as the gals doll up there more than average).
Personally, I like turquoise and silver for me so long as it is minimal or really exquisite. Too much looks like you are competing with the girls, but a ring and belt together is not too much at all. I appreciate your opinions on this.
By the way, I hope LBYM doesn't mean you guys are SO dressed down all the time that dressed up means a clean tshirt and jeans? Or does it?

Last edited:
And, REALLY dressed up means old-but-clean polo, crew neck sweater and jeans (winter version); summer version ditches the sweater, changes jeans for shorts, but includes socks.

HS class ring disappeared in 1974.

I own three or four cheap watches, all in the drawer with dead batteries...

No other jewelry, since the wedding band was jettisoned.

And why is a wedding band considered jewelry. Isn't jewelry an "accessory"? :p

And, REALLY dressed up means old-but-clean polo, crew neck sweater and jeans (winter version); summer version ditches the sweater, changes jeans for shorts, but includes socks.

You've got it! That's my wardrobe! Spring and Fall usually consist of a variation of the two combined......Shorts & sweater! :cool:

In my part of the country people would whisper behind your back if you wore man jewelery. It just isn't done.

In my part of the country people would whisper behind your back if you wore man jewelery. It just isn't done.

Hence my comment. In the winter I don´t even wear much jewelry--I have a fear that my ears will suffer from frostbites if I wear earrings (not been proven yet).

Of course, I'm not a man but....my opinion....

I don't like much jewelry on a man other than a watch and one ring on the right hand (left of course, reserved for the wedding ring). A simple gold or silver ring with maybe some diamonds...but very simple.

I equate a lot of jewelry on a man with the stereotypical used car salesmen with a hairy chest showing thru his unbuttoned shirt. Apologies to any used car salesman on the forum.:angel:

Too much jewelry on a man do seem to take the butch out of him; however, the guy who runs/ran Penthouse Magazine wore more than a girl, and he seemed to do alright with the ...ladies. Go figure?

Back
Top Bottom