Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
The most volatile people I have ever encountered are drivers. I have learned never to make eye contact and never to act aggressively in response to their aggression.

Anytime I encounter anyone who seems angry or potentially violent, I quickly distance myself as far away as possible. I never interact with them if I can possibly help it.
+1

It used be back in the day, 40 or so years ago, road rage consisted of drivers giving each other the finger and that was the end of it.

Not so today. Those sorts of disputes too often end up being settled with firearms.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The actually mentally ill seem more likely to **** up their own lives than anyone else's. We have had a family friend who has been badly manic-depressive for decades. SiL has all kinds of mental health issues. At no time do I believe they were any risk to anyone but themselves.

Now the actual *bugfunk* crazy are another matter. The 17 YO kid across the street had a nutjob box him in and accost him at a traffic light and smash his driver's side window, for example. Other than avoidance, generally all you can do is defend yourself. The police typically have little if any legal ability to do squat until after the crime has been committed. If you are in your car and someone wants to throw down, remember you are in a multi-thousand pound vehicle: it is wrecking ball time. Otherwise, pick your neighborhood carefully, make yourself a difficult target, and be prepared to repel boarders. If you are insane enough to ignore the three dogs in my house who at the very least will be making a LOT of noise and one of which would happily take 50 cents of hamburger out of any attacker's hind quarters, I am prepared to back it up with lethal force in a state with "make my day" laws. I don't ever want to be in a situation like that, so I live in a milquetoast suburb and take pains to be friendly with the neighbors.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #43
gone traveling

I think there have always been unhinged people, but they do seem to show themselves more frequently in this day and age. As others mentioned, document your encounters and speak to the police to at least make them aware. As much as I would like to confront these bullies, that is the worst thing one can do, so avoid that at all costs.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think there have always been unhinged people, but they do seem to show themselves more frequently in this day and age. As others mentioned, document your encounters and speak to the police to at least make them aware. As much as I would like to confront these bullies, that is the worst thing one can do, so avoid that at all costs.

I suspect thar “show themselves more frequently” is a media artifact.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 07-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The 17 YO kid across the street had a nutjob box him in and accost him at a traffic light and smash his driver's side window
I have a small canister of OC spray in the console of my car for such events.
Once, some years ago, I actually had to display it, which was enough to make the person back off. With luck, I'll never have to actually use it, but it's comforting to know it's there. You really don't want to be hit with that stuff.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately it is getting worse, people get desperate when they are uncertain of how they re going to pay their bills and put food on the table. I am not sure they are mentally ill, but they are certainly easily angered. in the recession a lot of people were upside down on their homes with no means of recovery.

Our solution was to buy into a more affluent neighborhood (at the low end) and all our neighbors are very cordial and do not have issue paying their bills.

[mod edit]
Old 07-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Statistically, people who are clinically mentally ill are far more likely to be victims of crime as opposed to perpetrators. ....
That may be true (I didn't look it up), but does it matter (from the standpoint of our own personal safety, it certainly matters to the mentally ill)?

For illustration, let's say the clinically mentally ill are 100x more likely to be victims of crime than the average population. But what if they are also 10x more likely to be a source of crime against the average population? That means that on average, I should be 10x more wary of the mentally ill.

Reminds me of a few years back I was on the Rapid Transit with DW in Chicago, a safe area of the city, broad daylight. Car was pretty full, but there was one guy, appeared homeless, appeared drunk, and talking to himself. Everyone tried to keep their distance but it was tight, and then he started getting "in the face" of two women in business attire. They moved to another car.

This guy may have been clinically mentally ill, and not just drunk (or 'self-medicating' with Budweiser). You are honestly going to tell me that I shouldn't be more wary of this guy than the two business women, or the other people on the car minding their own business?

Nope, I got some street smarts, even though I came from the farm. I keep my guard up, and watch for this. I don't care if the person approaching me is black, white, brown or green - I look for signs that they are minding their own business, and have some business in mind, and not looking for trouble or just hanging around. I could be wrong, but better to err on the side of caution and avoid anyone who looks "shady".

-ERD50
Old 07-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
It used be back in the day, 40 or so years ago, road rage consisted of drivers giving each other the finger and that was the end of it.

Aaah, the good old days, when folk gave each other the finger. We were so neighborly and genteel back then

Old 07-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Many serial killers and sociopaths are engaging and charismatic. I'd rather know an A_hole who is up front about their feelings, even if they are opposite of mine or disgusting to me.

My uncle was handsome, funny, very charismatic and upper middle class. He did so many awful things in secret. I found out about several of them as I got older. As family members who knew of these things got the courage to talk about them, I realized he was a criminal but knew how to hide it. Mental illness? I'm more afraid of people like him than what society calls mentally ill. The wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind.
+1

What was taught when I was in grade school about stranger danger doesn't always hold true. We might expect folks that are mentally ill/dangerous to outwardly show signs, but that isn't always the case.

Of course, an example about serial killers is Ted Bundy. Charming on the outside. I remember attending a meeting for some volunteer work I used to do and a guest speaker came in. Forget why, but the topic of crimes and serial killers came up. The speaker said like, you never know, folks like Jeffery Dahmer aren't easily spotted but could be someone who appears like your neighbor.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Sociopaths often hide their proclivities until they find a victim.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
One thing I've learned as I get older is that it works best to be nice to everyone, even if they are being a complete jerk back to you. I try to never get angry with someone and never say anything mean or hurtful, even if I think they deserve it. It helps me keep my stress levels low, and it defuses the situation before it can escalate to something worse.

I'm not saying this will completely prevent a wacko from going after you, but it probably won't hurt.

I do like your philosophy. Maybe it's just me, but it does seem people are getting nicer and things don't bother me much. I must say though, sometimes it's a bit hard to hold my tongue
Old 07-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think there have always been unhinged people, but they do seem to show themselves more frequently
Not sure about other areas but around here they closed all the mental hospitals about 30 years ago and turned all kinds of dangerous people out onto the streets. There's no place to put dangerous people now until they hurt someone and then they go to prison.

Also there's lots of people on medications that keep them stable but oftentimes they stop taking them and then ....look out!.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #53

It takes two to tango. Most people do not seem to realize that they are in charge of their own anger as well as the way they think. Ego is a good part of the anger thing, too. I think most of the cases are caused by fanning the flames.

I always try to be aware of my surroundings when I am out. Even at stop lights, I always leave enough room to be able to maneuver and don't stop right alongside the other vehicle next to me.

In the past, I did work with some unhinged people. Working with people over time opens your eyes. Same with family members. Once something happens it is good to replay it in your mind and alter the methods you need to take when the next time happens. First time...shame on you, second time, shame on me.

My Three Stupid Rules:
1. Don't go to Stupid places.
2. Don't do Stupid things.
3. Don't hang with Stupid people.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not sure about other areas but around here they closed all the mental hospitals about 30 years ago and turned all kinds of dangerous people out onto the streets. There's no place to put dangerous people now until they hurt someone and then they go to prison.

Also there's lots of people on medications that keep them stable but oftentimes they stop taking them and then ....look out!.

There was a movement to “deinstitutionalize” the mentally ill starting in the 1970s. It is widely blamed for the homeless problem. A few of the front page violence incidents may have been stopped if involuntary commitment was still common. But there are also civil liberties problems with that.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 07-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Once, some years ago, I actually had to display it, which was enough to make the person back off. With luck, I'll never have to actually use it, but it's comforting to know it's there. You really don't want to be hit with that stuff.
Let's just say that this encounter would have ended very differently if I were the driver being accosted.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 07-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1 and, be prepared.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
... I must say though, sometimes it's a bit hard to hold my tongue
You are not alone:

from Harvard Men's Health Watch:

"For most men, grip strength begins to decline around age 55. The change may be associated with sarcopenia—the natural age-related decline in muscle mass."

If interested, google something like "weak hand grip" and you will find a bunch of exercises to deal with your situation.

My guess is, in a few months time you will be able to hold your tongue for as long as you like.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #58
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post

It takes two to tango. Most people do not seem to realize that they are in charge of their own anger as well as the way they think. Ego is a good part of the anger thing, too. I think most of the cases are caused by fanning the flames.

I always try to be aware of my surroundings when I am out. Even at stop lights, I always leave enough room to be able to maneuver and don't stop right alongside the other vehicle next to me.

In the past, I did work with some unhinged people. Working with people over time opens your eyes. Same with family members. Once something happens it is good to replay it in your mind and alter the methods you need to take when the next time happens. First time...shame on you, second time, shame on me.

My Three Stupid Rules:
1. Don't go to Stupid places.
2. Don't do Stupid things.
3. Don't hang with Stupid people.

Good motto worth repeating !

To that I will add... don't stay out after midnight.

A policeman once said, there are three groups of people on the streets after midnight... cops, criminals and victims.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Let's just say that this encounter would have ended very differently if I were the driver being accosted.
I made an impulse buy of a used bond arms 3" .410. It's an O/U, not much good for grouse, but it has another use.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I often thought of relocating my windshield squirters onto the roof of my car facing 90 degrees outward. Then filling the reservoir with something nasty in case someone came to my driver's side window....just a push of the button!
Closed Thread