Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I found this and thought it was hysterical:

I quote:

Dear Cecil:

The topic of merkins came up a while ago in a mailing list of word fans on the IBM internal network, and a participant told of going to a bar that offered prizes to amateur nude dancers. There were a lot of rules; some made sense (no touching the customers), some didn't (pubic hair required). A woman in the party considered going up, but she shaved herself; however, the management provided merkins. She said they looked like little mustaches. The whole scene was a little too weird for her, so she decided not to dance. --Philip Cohen, White Plains, New York

Cecil replies:

Thanks for sharing, Phil. I'll have you know that Cecil recently conspired to give his good buddy Charlie the architect a merkin for his birthday, something for which, Charlie's girlfriend assured me, Charlie had developed a desperate craving ever since having read about merkins in this column some months ago. Since the local sex-toy shop was fresh out (and yes, we thought of the Merkin-tile Exchange joke, too), we decided to improvise by presenting him with a large industrial mop dyed a tasteful bevy of dayglo colors. The classiest part of the whole production, however, was the instructions. Anne provided the safety tips and owner registration card ("It is imperative that we know how to reach you promptly if we should discover a safety problem that could affect you"); I added hints on operation and use. Sample:

"Confirm that merkin is the proper size before wearing. Use of an improperly sized merkin may result in paralysis or death.

"On first use your merkin may be stiff and difficult to attach properly. Do not be embarrassed to ask for assistance. For best results we recommend that four persons be recruited for this purpose--one to grasp either leg, one to apply the merkin, and one to act as lookout.

"Once the merkin is in place, it should be appropriately lubricated using light sewing machine oil, petroleum jelly, #2 fuel oil, or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter when on sale at Safeway. Do not use so much lubricant that it dribbles in the street. Merkin should not 'squish' when in use.

"Your merkin is highly flammable. Do not use if temperature rises above 73 degrees. If merkin ignites while in use, seek assistance by running into the nearest street and shouting, "I'M ON FIRE GODDAMIT." Do not panic. The number of people who die as a result of burns from a flaming merkin is surprisingly small."

We had it delivered to the office. Unfortunately the firecracker didn't go off. But it was a birthday Charlie won't soon forget.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Merkins
Old 09-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this was a link posted by another, and I accidentally mangled it.

Anyway, I did some searching for Merkin images for an avatar but couldn't find any that were both suitable and presentable to generall audiences. Mustache? I didn't see a merkin like that.

By the way, in my searching I found "merkin" used to describe decorative appliques (nice butterfly, but I can't link the pic), costumey decorations (blue feathers) and a fake chest-hair merkin to look like Austin Powers. (on eBay, but I'm afraid to post the pic because the shape could easily be mistaken....)

BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another pop culture reference is in the cartoon "Family Guy" which has come back to fox after a few years off the air...

Joe Swanson Do I know you?
Jim Kaplan Jim Kaplan, sports agent. Like this car?
Joe Swanson Yeah.
Jim Kaplan It's yours. You like my pants?
Joe Swanson Sure.
Jim Kaplan They're yours! Know what a merkin is?
Joe Swanson No.
Jim Kaplan Pubic wig. I got one. You want it?
Joe Swanson No!
Jim Kaplan You don't! You're a classy guy!
Jim Kaplan You want to be rich?
Joe Swanson Yes!
Jim Kaplan Sign here.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I think this was a link posted by another, and I accidentally mangled it.
BMJ, I posted it but then I edited it out, so you didn't mangle my post.

Hey, if we keep talking about merkins often enough, the word might just be added to dory's list of "top search engine keywords that led to a link and subsequent visit to our site."** *
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote