Join Early Retirement Today

Merry Christmas, merry, merry, christmas
Old 09-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Merry Christmas, merry, merry, christmas

It is early September. I got the LLBean Christmas catalog today.

Too dang early.

How much does it cost, I'll buy it
The time is all we've lost, I'll try it . . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eventually the catalogs will be coming so early we will receive them in December for Christmas in the following year.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #3

Most of my Christmas shopping is already done! (I pick up stuff during my travels throughout the year, and stash in a box in my closet for the holidays) All that is left is the annual subscription to Reminisce magazine for my 90 year old grandmother. (ok, and a few unknown purchases in New Orleans in Oct - and something for BF later)
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Maybe we should just move all the holidays .Christmas would be better in OCT. No worry about snow messing up your travel plans .Thanksgiving could be in Sept .so it would be at the peak of football frenzy and we could serve pizza and wings instead of that whole big dinner .We might as well have hawoleen when they kiddies are off school . More time for trick and treating .I think my idea may have some merit !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Being non-religious, not to mention cheap-assed frugal, I often wonder why I bother with Christmas...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Merry Christmas, merry, merry, christmas
Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Merry Christmas, merry, merry, christmas

Good grief! That's taking it a bit too far. What ever happened to waiting till after Halloween? Remember only ... only 106 Days, 9 Hours, 17 Minutes, and 25 Seconds left to shop.

dog
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
How much does it cost, I'll buy it
The time is all we've lost, I'll try it . . .
Sunshine by Jonathan Edwards.

I wonder what ever happened to him?
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Huh, I was the only customer at Macy's X-mas tree display on 9/8/07, yes September. Three clerks fell all over me to help. Got the shopping done using a $10 Macy's coupon so the grand total was half price. Got the Halloween stuff at Border's the same day. Happy New Year's or Rosh Hashanah, as the case may be; my favorite is Chinese New Year because it's the first sign of spring.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Costco has Christmas decorations out -- I noticed an eight-foot light up snowman.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Costco has Christmas decorations out -- I noticed an eight-foot light up snowman.
Yup. I was talking with a fellow Costco customer about how Costco already had all the Halloween stuff out where they had the back-to-school stuff a few days ago, when we rounded the corner and there it was in all its fake Christmas glory...that same 8-foot light up snowman! The other guy just shook his head and wandered off in search of the free food samples as I stood there and watched a lady dig through the stacks of holiday card boxes. geez.

Heck, in the local stores in these parts, summer clothes are gone -- and WINTER COATS are on the racks! (It's still in the mid-80s for pete's sake!)
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #11

We went to Cracker Barrel last week for breakfast, and they already had there Christmas trees, decorations, and other stuff out. They have there Halloween crap out too!

My new all-time favorite holiday is April 7th!!! That was my FIRE date, and I celebrate it EVERY day now....and probably always will!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
Sunshine by Jonathan Edwards.

I wonder what ever happened to him?
Got me wondering, too. He's still touring and apparently is going to be in an upcoming movie....here's his website: Jonathan Edwards, performer, singer-songwriter
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Being non-religious, not to mention cheap-assed frugal, I often wonder why I bother with Christmas...
We opted out of Christmas a long time ago. We raised our kids religion free. There are remnants of Christmas and Hannukah from the grandparents and that's about it. No tree, no decorations, no baking, no trying to make a "perfect holiday". No guilt, no bills.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Maybe we should just move all the holidays .Christmas would be better in OCT. No worry about snow messing up your travel plans .Thanksgiving could be in Sept .so it would be at the peak of football frenzy and we could serve pizza and wings instead of that whole big dinner .We might as well have hawoleen when they kiddies are off school . More time for trick and treating .I think my idea may have some merit !
We need a diversion to break up the winter. If Christmas, Hannukah and Valentine's day were not there, we would just have to invent some other reason.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #15

anyone else notice they've got those giant blow up lawn decorations for almost every holiday now? Used to just be christmas time...now there are halloween and valentines blow-ups ...waiting for the st. patti's and solstice ones...=b

i very much dislike the pushing up of the seasonal stuff each year, it has gotten real bad and makes the holidays very un-fun. who do we write letter to? santa?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
anyone else notice they've got those giant blow up lawn decorations for almost every holiday now? Used to just be christmas time...now there are halloween and valentines blow-ups ...waiting for the st. patti's and solstice ones...=b
I'm waiting for the rites of spring, too.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #17
Administrator

I think we have too many holidays crammed together at the end of the year, and not enough when you really need them -- January through March. If I were king of the universe, every fourth Monday would be a holiday. None of them would require any decorating of the house or giving of gifts, and trips to distant family members would not be expected.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I think holidays were a LOT less exciting before kids. Now that I have them, the wonderment in their eyes on X-mas is a sight to behold. We don't go overboard with the gifts, just a couple nice things.

We also do X-mas lights, although I have been reducing the amoutn by 10% a year, maybe in a few more we'll be at none.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #19

I agree w/ FD, it's definitely worth it/meaningful because of the kids.

I do however, try and get the relatives to coordinate a little bit for their gifts so thatwe don't get 10 ticklemeelmo's etc...and each kid gets one nice gift from me/dad. but most of our bdays are also in the fall so it even feels like overload w/ the one gift.

I also try to give to a non-profit on their behalf since most of my friend's and family are not in need for anything...and if anything, have too much already!

I might try Kiva this year for them, since it's the gift that keeps on giving!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
We need a diversion to break up the winter. If Christmas, Hannukah and Valentine's day were not there, we would just have to invent some other reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I think we have too many holidays crammed together at the end of the year, and not enough when you really need them -- January through March.
My diversion to break up winter is a nice warm, multi-week, Florida vacation from February through March!!! Now THAT'S a Happy Holiday!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If I were king of the universe, every fourth Monday would be a holiday.
My Dad had kind of the same idea, except he opted for Fridays! The last year he w*rked prior to his retirement, he took off EVERY Friday, AND EVERY 4th week!!! (He had a LOT of vacation and comp time built up, that he had to use!) He set a GREAT example for me!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote