Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mfg jobs coming back to USA?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mfg jobs coming back to USA?

I found this interesting.

Some manufacturing heads back to USA - USATODAY.com

Quote:
"I think we're going to start to see a slowing of lost jobs, and we'll see some jobs coming back," says Simon Ellis, an analyst for IDC Manufacturing Insights. ...

There are myriad reasons for the shifts, often called "onshoring" or "reshoring." Chinese wages and shipping costs have risen sharply in the past few years while U.S. salaries have stayed flat, or in some cases, fallen in the recession. ...

Several cite the drawbacks of tying up valuable capital in huge overseas shipments, and want to bring assembly closer to engineers, suppliers and customers, concerns that mounted as makers slashed costs in the downturn. Others are simply weary of midnight phone calls — and multiple annual trips — `to Asia.

"A lot of companies who have gone there to take advantage of cheap labor are starting to tell us that if you (calculate) total ... cost and don't just look at wages, it's actually not worth it," says Jeremy Leonard, consultant for Manufacturers Alliance/MAPI, an industry-funded research group.
When we were sending a lot of production overseas, it was so easy for someone to calculate the effect of lower wages to the penny. There was no way to calculate these other factors, though we all knew they were real. So the guys with the definitive powerpoints won (and probably should have in most cases). But if CEOs are recognizing these issues, it will mitigate the wage deltas to a degree.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I guess I was lucky in that I didn't realize we lost any jobs during the recession. My company has never stopped hiring and is busier now than ever before. My department is far behind schedule and we're starting a new computer system that has a reputation of decreasing production. We may lose customers because we can't keep up with due dates.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I find it interesting (but not at all surprising) that many of the reasons that companies are bringing back manufacturing are for precisely the reasons that Andy Grove suggested

Still I wonder if this is really a trend or just some selective cherry picking by some pretty PR savvy firms.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read an article several months ago saying the same thing. The example was a high end cookware manufacturer. The items could be made more cheaply in China, but when there were supply issues it took a long time to resupply the stores. If pot A was ordered, but pot B was sent people couldn't get pot A for several months resulting in people buying a different brand. For these reasons the company moved it's suppliers to onshore ones and saw an increase in business and profits even though higher per unit costs were incurred
Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I guess I was lucky in that I didn't realize we lost any jobs during the recession. My company has never stopped hiring and is busier now than ever before. My department is far behind schedule and we're starting a new computer system that has a reputation of decreasing production. We may lose customers because we can't keep up with due dates.
Is it SAP?
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I doubt it. There are too many cheap labor countries still out there for over paid CEO's to exploit. It always amazed me why all of the VP's were never outsourced. There are plenty of countries where VP's are cheap and it never really mattered whether they showed up for work or not. Most people knew what to do day to day whether the VP was on the payroll or not.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Is it SAP?

Yeah, been there, done that...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
When we were sending a lot of production overseas, it was so easy for someone to calculate the effect of lower wages to the penny. There was no way to calculate these other factors, though we all knew they were real. So the guys with the definitive powerpoints won (and probably should have in most cases). But if CEOs are recognizing these issues, it will mitigate the wage deltas to a degree.-ERD50
[/QUOTE]
"A lot of companies who have gone there to take advantage of cheap labor are starting to tell us that if you (calculate) total ... cost and don't just look at wages, it's actually not worth it," [/QUOTE]

I find it difficult that any company with a finance and accounting dept. would not do a total cost analysis (US vs Offshore - from US shut down costs to Offshore set up costs and annual projected saving by going offshore) which would also would include the associated opportunities and risks. Would any of us; if we were heads of a company, make a decision if we were only presented with an analysis that showed the labor cost variance?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When fuel costs soared in 2008, it became apparent that the model of cheap labor making up for transportation costs might have a limit.

And, as I've argued before, if you include externalities, like high structural unemployment, declining middle-class, dead cities and towns, and the associated monetary and social costs of "offshoring", plus the loss of engineering and manufacturing expertise, it's only "cheap" to the individual company. Society is paying for the rest.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Still I wonder if this is really a trend or just some selective cherry picking by some pretty PR savvy firms.
I suspect it is both. There are probably relatively few (but not zero) products where this outweighs the labor cost delta. And not to move this into political territory, but uncertainty over future US labor costs, taxes and regulations don't make the decision to move jobs back any easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I find it difficult that any company with a finance and accounting dept. would not do a total cost analysis (US vs Offshore - from US shut down costs to Offshore set up costs and annual projected saving by going offshore) which would also would include the associated opportunities and risks. Would any of us; if we were heads of a company, make a decision if we were only presented with an analysis that showed the labor cost variance?
It is understandable - the CEO is involved in many decisions. He gets a presentation on this, and the labor savings are very clear-cut numbers. The negatives and risks are vague and largely incalculable. Your competitors are doing it. If I stand up and say " but, but, but - it will take longer to get problems solved, you'll have more delays because of communication problems, we may have more quality problems..." , you pretty much sound like a Negative Nelly. There are a few numbers that can be estimated, you could say, " we had X number of such-and-such occurrence, and the time delta and shipping will increase costs of those occurrences by $X/year, etc", but I doubt you could quantify anything close to the labor costs delta. And someone will point out - " we have a corrective action plan for those issues, and they will be reduced by 68% this year!" (right.....).

Plus, the manager who gets the product outsourced got a big bonus for the savings, and if it takes 5 years for the chickens to come home to roost, he/she got the money and is off in another position, or another company (probably making the same pitch)....

And I'll still say, even with the negatives, probably only a small number of the outsourcings were a real overall financial mistake.

-ERD50
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is very good news short term. If the problem is Chinese labor costs rising, however, I assume that it's only a matter of time before another country raises a suitable labor force at cheap wages. Chasing the lowest international wages doesn't seem like a sustainable solution. OTOH, when companies are governed by quarterly earnings, that's as far as many of them want to look.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Is it SAP?
Yes, have you heard or experienced the same bad things?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Chasing the lowest international wages doesn't seem like a sustainable solution. OTOH, when companies are governed by quarterly earnings, that's as far as many of them want to look.
The interesting thing to me is, this 'chasing the lowest wages', is the 'kindest, gentlest' thing we could do as a society. For those who support re-distribution of wealth, what could be better than providing jobs to the poorest among us?

The irony is, the 'greedy capitalists' do this w/o government intervention or regulation. They do it to maximize profits. Or maybe I should say 'in spite of', as some protectionist government regulations seek to keep those poor people poor, and the relatively richer ones rich.

-ERD50
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The interesting thing to me is, this 'chasing the lowest wages', is the 'kindest, gentlest' thing we could do as a society. For those who support re-distribution of wealth, what could be better than providing jobs to the poorest among us?
I think this belief normally stops at international borders, and I'll leave it at that to prevent it from being political.

In terms of "keeping jobs here," as much as it might hurt in other ways nothing will help more than sky-high oil prices. The more it costs to transport our "stuff" from China and elsewhere, the less advantage cheap overseas labor will have.

The IT jobs which left for India are probably gone for good, as the cost to "transport" data over the Internet will remain near zero regardless of energy prices.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think this belief normally stops at international borders, and I'll leave it at that to prevent it from being political.
Agreed - I just meant 'society' as all our brothers and sisters on the planet, regardless of the lines on the map (subtle Pink Floyd reference).

-ERD50