Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,375
Michael Moore's message to conservatives

A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives

November 14th, 2006

To My Conservative Brothers and Sisters,

I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You are in a funk, and I understand.

Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans. You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and, to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.

Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:

Dear Conservatives and Republicans,

I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:

1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs. We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with us.

2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral." Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful gift.

3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and we will balance it for you.

4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake or a lie.

5. When we make America the last Western democracy to have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor, regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones, we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.

6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation, when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.

7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.

8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment you were conceived.

9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.

10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you -- and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.

11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."). We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting a good example for the rest of the world.

12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.

I promise all of the above to you because this is your country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of the world.

Signed,

Michael Moore
http://www.michaelmoore.com/
============================

We shall see what the Democrats actually do. Some rank & file (& fringe-) are mad as heck.
__________________

__________________
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.
astromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition
Looks like Moore forgot number 13!! Don't worry, I have it here for you!!!

Quote:
13. In spite of the meaningless pledge to "clean up" government listed in item #12, we democrats will nominate disgraced and impeached former judge, Alcee Hastings and Abscam participant Jack Murtha, to take leadership roles in the next congress. That's because we are hypocrites of the highest order, the self righteous variety.
gimme a break!!!

It's hard to take a liar like Moore seriously. He should stick to making propoganda films.

__________________

__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,375
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

It's the kinder, gentler MM
__________________
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.
astromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Good thing it's never about "Michael Moore"'s ego.............
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,448
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Michael Moore calling anyone "Brother" or "Sister" has to be one of the worst insults that could ever be hurled at someone.

also,

"If you stay in school, and study hard, you might make something of yourself. And if you don't... you'll end up a Michael Moore".
Ewwww, okay okay we'll do our homework. Just stop scaring us like that!
__________________
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 260
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

I really, really, try to avoid the political threads. But this just left me shaking my head. So (deep breath) here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives

November 14th, 2006

To My Conservative Brothers and Sisters,

I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You are in a funk, and I understand.
I'm not "dismayed," "disheartened," or "in a funk." The Republicans deserved to lose that election. That does not, however, mean that the Democrats deserved to win. It just means that there weren't any other choices available in many races in my district.

Quote:
Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans. You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and, to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.
That's what I'm worried about.

Quote:
Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:

Dear Conservatives and Republicans,

I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:

1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs. We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with us.
D'you think you could stop implying that we're stupid if we do disagree with you?

Quote:
2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral." Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful gift.
Huh. I'm registered Republican and I don't give a flying damn who anyone sleeps with or marries, so long as all parties involved are capable of giving legal consent to the matter.

Quote:
3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and we will balance it for you.
I wish I could believe this, I really do. But all of the social programs so many Democrats seem so fond of cost money that's got to come from somewhere. And usually, no matter which party is in power, that "somewhere" is my pocketbook.

Quote:
4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake or a lie.
You're implying that y'all are perfect, that you'll NEVER make mistakes, or you'll NEVER lie. Past history suggests otherwise.

Quote:
5. When we make America the last Western democracy to have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor, regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones, we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.
You'll also make sure that the health care system doesn't have all those unintended consequences that, say, the Canadian and British ones have, right?

Quote:
6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation, when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.
We already have cleaner air and water than many third world countries, so I'm really not sure what this is meant to promise.

Quote:
7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.
When you're not decimating the military, or sending troops to places like, say, Rwanda, that never actually did attack us, right?

Quote:
8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment you were conceived.
Appreciate the consideration. Keep your hands out of my pocketbook, too, will you?

Quote:
9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.
Thus ignoring inconvenient facts such as that crime has jumped in London since they banned protective handguns? You're not doing much to inspire confidence, here.

Quote:
10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you -- and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.
Thus ignoring the costs of imposing that minimum wage -- like lost jobs when the employers can't afford to pay that wage and still turn a profit. It may not happen at $1 an hour more than the current minimum wage, but eventually, there is a price at which the employer can't afford to hire someone. When that happens, what are you going to do about the sudden rise in unemployment?

Quote:
11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."). We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting a good example for the rest of the world.
How about starting with the fanaticism that DID kill 3,000 of my countrymen?

Quote:
12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.
Because you have such a stellar record of avoiding corruption in the past....?

Quote:
I promise all of the above to you because this is your country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of the world.
I hope you do. Honestly -- nothing would please me better than for SOMEONE -- Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Martian -- to make things better for us all.

Quote:
Signed,

Michael Moore
http://www.michaelmoore.com/
============================

We shall see what the Democrats actually do. Some rank & file (& fringe-) are mad as heck.
Some Republicans are, too -- hence the election results.
__________________
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria

11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.").
Does this mean that he is going to set the example and give away some of his millions first? What a buffoon.
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Michael Moore is a moron, and a scruffy unwashed one at that.
Why would any thinking person care what he says/thinks?

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern, Florida
Posts: 925
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Pure pablum. Bush still has veto power.
__________________
Retired in 2006 at age 49.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Peggy, JG, Telly, and Alex, after reading the Micheal Moore quote you probably have the same feeling inside as I do when I hear Rush Limbaugh speak.

I haven't watched any of the Micheal Moore documentaries and I have no idea as to their accuracy, so I don't have an opinion about him, but there is no question that the right doesn't like him.

I did a little lobbying work on health insurance coverage for the poor in Minnesota. A few months ago the group was contacted by Moore, who is working on a possible documentary on the state of health care and health insurance in the US. We were invited to share stories. I have some concern about doing that just because he has such a reputation as being partisan. This is a shame because I think it would be great for someone to do a documentary on the healthcare system.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,434
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Michael Moore is a moron, and a scruffy unwashed one at that.
Why would any thinking person care what he says/thinks?

JG
Amen brother. :P Don't care for Rush either.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
I really, really, try to avoid the political threads.
From looking at the length of your post I can understand why...you must be exhausted!

I don't always like the way MM goes about setting people up in his docs, but I agree with everything said in his letter.
When stem-cell solutions become available you can be certain those that fought them will use them when they or a loved one needs them...
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
FreeBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 67
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Michael Moore is about as "relevant" to the left as David Duke is relevant to the right. Sorta scarry just how many people soak-in their spew.
__________________
"I don't do drugs.... I am drugs"
Salvador Dali
FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Peggy, JG, Telly, and Alex, after reading the Micheal Moore quote you probably have the same feeling inside as I do when I hear Rush Limbaugh speak.

I haven't watched any of the Micheal Moore documentaries and I have no idea as to their accuracy, so I don't have an opinion about him, but there is no question that the right doesn't like him.

I did a little lobbying work on health insurance coverage for the poor in Minnesota. A few months ago the group was contacted by Moore, who is working on a possible documentary on the state of health care and health insurance in the US. We were invited to share stories. I have some concern about doing that just because he has such a reputation as being partisan. This is a shame because I think it would be great for someone to do a documentary on the healthcare system.
Good grief! It gives me great angst to even see you and MM
mentioned in the same paragraph, much less imagining you actually
in his physical presense. Do us all a favor and if it ever comes to pass,
please don't tell us. We prefer to maintain our illusions about you,
pristine and unsullied even as you go about saving the downtrodden.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 77
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
"If you stay in school, and study hard, you might make something of yourself. And if you don't... you'll end up a Michael Moore".
Ewwww, okay okay we'll do our homework. Just stop scaring us like that!
I don't mind ending up like Michael Moore. I certainly would not be on this site trying to figure out how to retire while I am still young.
__________________
ADJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Well, those recent threads on obesity could be of use to him.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Well, those recent threads on obesity could be of use to him.
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

That's a pretty entertaining pledge by MM. Actually, its just great to know that they're going to get right to work on those things. I have no reason to believe they wont, because they did in the past.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

I especially liked Michael Moore's brilliant eviscerating of Charlton Heston, the NRA nutjob spokesman. That was worth an Oscar in itself.
__________________
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives
Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Re: Michael Moore's message to conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
I especially liked Michael Moore's brilliant eviscerating of Charlton Heston, the NRA nutjob spokesman. That was worth an Oscar in itself.
Your opinion of the second ammendment aside, the fact that Micheal Moore cut and pasted statements made by Heston on different dates and places to create a misleading montage that appears to happen on the same day, that doesn't disturb you? Maybe you enjoy being misled? I know I don't, and that is what Mr Moore does - he is a propogandist and I don't like propoganda. ...to each his own.
__________________

__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Part of message I received from contact in Baghdad mickeyd Other topics 65 03-30-2007 09:16 AM
Message Already Posted? grumpy Forum Admin 3 11-06-2006 07:19 AM
Dumpster Diver Message boards maddythebeagle Other topics 17 04-07-2006 08:19 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.