Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
gone traveling
"I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals."

I found the perfect dog for him....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg every dog has it's day.jpg (52.3 KB, 0 views)

Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I say no dogs for him. Any dog of his wouldn't have a fighting chance to live a good life.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
He should be allowed to hold only a pomeranian on the sidelines, only while on-camera during games.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
i think it's ok for him to have a pet when we allow child molesters to operate day care centers or rapists to run a dating service or well you get the point. this sob should be in prison today. NOT one seat in the philly stadium should be occupied during home games but most people don't give a $hit. i will route for any team against philly. i detest this man.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Update - Most will not like this
Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Update - Most will not like this

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Michael Vick is barred from owning a dog for a year and a half, but the star quarterback's comment that he'd like to bring one into his house generated renewed outrage _ and support.

The convicted dogfighting ring operator told the news site that he genuinely cares about animals and would like to have one for a pet again.

"I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process," he said.

Vick has made similar statements before, but this time it seemed to have grabbed the world's attention. For example, the gambling website is offering bets on what breed of dog Vick might own in the next two years.

Vick served 18 months in prison after being convicted in 2007. A federal judge also sentenced him to three years probation, ending in May 2012. One of the terms: He could not own dogs during that time.

Since Vick was released from prison, he's become a touchstone for a deep debate: Can people who do bad things be redeemed?

"I really mean what I say. I don't have a problem. I'm not a psychopath. I'm not crazy. I'm a human being," Vick told The Associated Press on Thursday. "What happened in my past and what I did in the culture I grew up in doesn't shape and mold me as the person I am now. I said it before that I wish I can own a dog and I'll continue to say it. I'm not allowed to, but I'm just saying I wish I could because my kids ask me every day. It's more so for them than for me."

When he was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles last year, criticism seemed to outweigh cheers. But now that he's again a top NFL player and has spent time speaking with at-risk kids, he's gained a bigger following of fans.

Ray Morales, of Philadelphia, said that Vick has worked to turn his life around and deserves a second chance.

"They're just trying to scrutinize him way too much because of his popularity," he said. "It's hard for people to believe that someone can turn their life around, but they can."

Morales said in his home state of Florida, a friend stopped participating in dogfighting after hearing Vick talk about why it was wrong.

"He's been doing a lot to educate people about dogfighting," "He knows he's done something wrong, people just really need to get past it and stop casting stones."

Erik Brown, a 25-year-old student from Chicago, also defended Vick online.
"I'm sure he'd be one of the most-watched dog owners on the planet, so I highly doubt he could participate in the activities that landed him in this mess in the first place," he told the AP in an e-mail interview.

Vick's comments, however, brought out plenty of critics. Many took to Twitter to lambaste the quarterback with tweets like, "Michael Vick says he'd like to own a dog someday. I'd like to own a brewery too but it's probably not a good idea."

Jane Dollinger, spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said Vick should be banned from owning dogs for life.

Meanwhile, Humane Society of the United States President Wayne Pacelle said it's too early for Vick to have a dog, but says it could be appropriate after his probation ends.

"There may be some who would forever deny Michael Vick the opportunity to have a pet. I understand that sentiment. But there is a larger principle at stake here," he said in a statement. "We at The HSUS are about the business of change _ personal and societal change."

Since his release from prison, Vick has worked with the group and makes school appearances to talk to students about his past.

Vick told he's doing that work because he wants to.
"The court doesn't make it an obligation for me to go out and speak," Vick said. "It doesn't make it an obligation for me to work with the Humane Society. I'm putting in the hard work to do it so it's not for any personal benefit, it's to help others."
Vick says he would like a pet dog, renewing debate -

I question the Humane Society of the United States being so tolerance in this situation. In fact, I'm begining to question just about everything about this story. I would just like to see this situation evolve in a way that decreases the abuse of companion animals.
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
I believe he paid a heavy price(and is still paying) for what he did... as he should. I agree with what the judge ordered. No dogs while on 3 years probation but then he should be able to get one. There should be regular check-ups to see the dog(s) is being treated properly.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #27
Just say NO!
powerplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado
Vick did not just fight dogs....he killed them in the most torturous way....wetting them down and electrocuting them, slamming them into the ground, drowning them......putting pet dogs into the ring with the pits, to be torn apart......This is sick behavior......And it was not just a one time thing.......This is not something that goes away very easily, no matter how much time goes by. Most, if not all serial killers start off with hurting and killing animals.....

Skye is offline   Reply With Quote