Join Early Retirement Today

Michael Vick wants to own a dog again
Old 12-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Michael Vick wants to own a dog again

I'd like to think he's on the level, but am just not sure. What do you think?

Quote:
"I would love to get another dog in the future," Vick told TheGrio, a website that's affiliated with NBC and focuses on African-American issues. "I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process. I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals."

Vick served 18 months in prison after being convicted in 2007 in the Virginia-based ring. The federal judge overseeing the case also prohibited him from ever owning another dog.

"Vick should be banned from owning dogs for life," Jane Dollinger, spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said in a news release this week. "Just as convicted pedophiles aren't allowed free access to children, anyone who is responsible for hanging, electrocuting, or shooting dogs and who causes them to suffer in other unimaginable ways should never again be allowed access to dogs."

Since his release from prison, Vick has become an advocate for the Humane Society of the United States and makes school appearances to talk to students about his past. Vick said he's doing that work because he wants to.

"Well first off, the court doesn't make it an obligation for me to go out and speak," Vick said. "It doesn't make it an obligation for me to work with the Humane Society. I'm putting in the hard work to do it so it's not for any personal benefit, it's to help others."
Vick says he hopes to own a dog as a pet someday - wtop.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Administrator

People in H*** want ice water, too.

I don't think he should ever own a dog again. He has demonstrated that the is not capable of the responsibility entailed (to put it mildly). If he loves dogs, he can always volunteer at the animal shelter to be around them.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

There's nothing entirely incompatible with loving your own pet and seeing other animals as merely fodder for your own sick thrills or financial gain. It's possible, I think, to love your own dog but see other dogs as expendable. It's hard for me to imagine that someone who is enough of an animal lover to love and dote over their pets would be this callous about other similar animals they have no emotional attachment to, but I'd imagine it's possible.

Having said that, I don't ever want to see him anywhere near a dog.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There is still a huge problem with dog fighting operations. I see lots of pit bulls in the shelter. I was furious with him and glad he didn't get off scott free.

The reason I'd like to believe Vick is sincere is because he could have such a positive influence on turning this around. His school appearances may help teach youngsters how awful dog fighting is and the negative consequences of getting involved. I don't think a 50-something lady like me or they typical animal rescue types could reach many of the people who may get involved with this awful "sport". Vick could be much more influential.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The reason I'd like to believe Vick is sincere is because he could have such a positive influence on turning this around. His school appearances may help teach youngsters how awful dog fighting is and the negative consequences of getting involved. I don't think a 50-something lady like me or they typical animal rescue types could reach many of the people who may get involved with this awful "sport". Vick could be much more influential.
Like you, I'd *like* to believe it, and MAYBE with the passage of time and good works, I can be convinced of it -- but not yet.

If he continues to do what is perceived as good work for animal welfare AFTER his football career is over, I'll be more convinced of his sincerity. For now I'm cynical enough to assume he's doing it to keep his job in the NFL.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The downside in my opinion is this would also teach another, subtler and very harmful message. That unlike your Dad or older brother, a big time football player like Vick can do something like this, and not only resume his career unimpeded, but also become a public hero for young people to model themselves on.

Ha
Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Michael Vick should never be allowed to own any pet. I really don't think he needs to share a home with children either. Unfortunately, he does. Someone who has no problem inflicting pain and suffering on an animal will be most likely to do it also to the weaker humans they encounter. I feel sorry for his wife and kids. Abusing animals is sometimes the first step towards even larger crimes.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I still cringe everytime I hear his name. I purchased the book The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption.

Never want to see that man with, or around a dog for as long as he crawls on this earth, no way, no how, not now, not ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 41nMljgOQVL__SL500_AA300_.jpeg (15.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think it's possible for someone to change. But, no way he should be allowed to own a dog anytime soon. Perhaps he should be allowed to work as a volunteer at some no kill animal rescue groups, monitored of course. Let him do some of the behind the scene dirty work like cleaning out kennels, bathing dogs, etc etc. Only after years of counseling and proving himself with a rescue group would I even think about letting him adopt a dog.

I hope he has learned his lesson. But I do admit, I think some of his talk about wanting to own a dog is just part of his p/r rehab.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe schools have him in to speak. Creepy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

He should be able to have a dog, lots of dogs, so that one day we can read about the tragic accident at the Vick house where they mysteriously turned on him....
Old 12-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I will never watch another Eagles game. I hope one of the opposing defenses ends his career for him in the most painful way possible.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The downside in my opinion is this would also teach another, subtler and very harmful message. That unlike your Dad or older brother, a big time football player like Vick can do something like this, and not only resume his career unimpeded, but also become a public hero for young people to model themselves on.

Ha
Perhaps a stronger message would have been sent if Vick had been banned from football for life. If this had been the case, and he still wanted to speak on behalf of the Humane Society, I would be more inclined to believe his sincerity. I don't know much about football, but realize it's all about the money. Seems like it was bad PR to let him resume his football career.

By the way, the shelter I volunteer at does not allow people convicted of animal cruetly to adopt an animal, work there or even serve as a volunteer. I'm sure some puppy mill operation would be happy to sell him a dog though.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think he's an ass and will do anything for a dollar.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I don't blame him his NFL career isn't going to last forever and I think he is smart to have a second career in mind. Perhaps he should partner up with a Vietnamese restaurant since they like dogs also.

Sorry I think he should be treated like a sex offender around children. Sure maybe it is safe for him to have a dog but why take the chance. If he needs a pet, fish, a parrot, maybe even a rabbit.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I think Michael is really is trying to turn over a new leaf and make redemption for the past. The past is too fresh is everyone's mind. Yet, I think he shouldn't be allowed to own a dog again. That would be like having Ben Roslithberger as the next contestant on "The Bachelor".
Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
He should be able to have a dog, lots of dogs, so that one day we can read about the tragic accident at the Vick house where they mysteriously turned on him....
I say we tie him down, cover his scrotum with bacon fat, then give him his "dog", preferably a rabid, hungry pit bull terrier...

My DGF, who owns two rescue dogs, would scratch his eyes out in a NY minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I think he's an ass and will do anything for a dollar.
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps a stronger message would have been sent if Vick had been banned from football for life. If this had been the case, and he still wanted to speak on behalf of the Humane Society, I would be more inclined to believe his sincerity. I don't know much about football, but realize it's all about the money. Seems like it was bad PR to let him resume his football career.
People understand that professional sports are full of wife beaters, rapists, and all sorts of other criminals. As long as they play well, this doesn't seem to bother enough fans to change anything.

Sports are a really good way for a young person to get a quick read on the corruption and hypocrisy of society at large. Why force them to wait for a middle age disillusionment?

Ha
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't believe that being a dog killer/abuser equates to a child molester. The former can probably be reformed, but not the latter.

Let Vick have a dog. He'd probably appreciate it a lot more today than years ago.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
If he needs a pet, fish, a parrot, maybe even a rabbit.
Maybe a rat...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote