Join Early Retirement Today

Micheal Chertoff? Gut feeling? This is what our Government has stooped to.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
gone traveling

Micheal Chertoff? Gut feeling? This is what our Government has stooped to.

Sorry this is pretty nuts. The Homeland security czar has a gut feeling that alqueada is gonna attack us this summer. Oh he has no hard info, nothing.

Fear keeps the american people from impeaching this president.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

His next statement will be: I need more money to guard against it.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Other U.S. counterterrorism officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, shared Chertoff's concern and said that al-Qaida and like-minded groups have been able to plot and train more freely in the tribal areas along the Afghan-Pakistani border in recent months. Osama bin Laden and his top deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed to be hiding in the rugged region.
You think maybe having 130,000+ troops in Iraq instead might have anything to do with the fact that Al-Qaida can train freely in Afghanistan?
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

So does this mean we've gone to chartreuse alert status?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
You think maybe having 130,000+ troops in Iraq instead might have anything to do with the fact that Al-Qaida can train freely in Afghanistan?

this is the kind of garbaaage that we have been hit with since the trip to Iraq. Oh its in Pakistan we cannot go into Pakistan. Bull, if Bin laden and al zwahiri are there you bet we should go there. Oh yea I forgot saddam was gonna kill all of the american people with his nukes.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
this is the kind of garbaaage that we have been hit with since the trip to Iraq. Oh its in Pakistan we cannot go into Pakistan. Bull, if Bin laden and al zwahiri are there you bet we should go there. Oh yea I forgot saddam was gonna kill all of the american people with his nukes.
Drop the "Chicken Little" and the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" dramatics please.....you're starting to sound like Alec Baldwin who said he was moving to Canada if Gore didn't win............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
No change to the terror alert status. After all Chertoff (rhymes with jerkoff) was the guy who defended Brownie during the Katrina crisis.

I think his gut feel cannot be worth much.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Drop the "Chicken Little" and the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" dramatics please.....you're starting to sound like Alec Baldwin who said he was moving to Canada if Gore didn't win............
Ah yes. I wonder how the state of AlexBaldwinia is going these days, and who's running the place.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:

Huh??

Chicken Little? Boy who cried wolf??

Uh I never cared about taking out saddam, never thought he was a threat.

Bin Laden, Al zwahiri, Those @ssholes knocked down the buildings and 6 years later are still alive, and al zwahiri just put out another video yesterday.

Please YOU don't know what you are talking about.

It was this presidents responsiblity to find and capture or kill those two. Not saddam.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Huh??
It was this presidents responsiblity to find and capture or kill those two. Not saddam.
But you bring up a great point that I never heard anyone make before--we should have known all along that it wasn't Saddam's responsibility to capture/kill Bin Laden.

Do you deny that Pakistan has nuclear weapons? Do you think it will be a good idea to destabilize that government and assure the rise of the Islamic fanatics in that state, who will then control these weapons? For someone who thinks the US involvement in Iraq is a bad idea, it seems you are itching to create still more enemies for the US. Please, look beyond the immediate "this would feel good" response and consider what you are advocating.

Of course, we've been through this before, haven't we?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Huh??
Uh I never cared about taking out saddam, never thought he was a threat.

Bin Laden, Al zwahiri, Those @ssholes knocked down the buildings and 6 years later are still alive, and al zwahiri just put out another video yesterday.

Please YOU don't know what you are talking about.

Well, it's a good thing I have a hypochondriac like you who is a terrorism expert..........

Your fanatical hate of Bush is pretty well known. FWIW, I thought you were going to "stay away" from trolling type threads, how's that going for you?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

You don't have to be a fanatic to hate Bush.

It's beyond me how such a peckerhead was elected in the first place.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
You don't have to be a fanatic to hate Bush.

It's beyond me and most Canadians how such a peckerhead was elected in the first place.
Let me splain' it to ya.

His opponent(s) were also peckerheads. So it came down to choosing which candidate was the least worst peckerhead. We probably chose wrong, but it's not like some great personality was overlooked.

The next election is shaping up the same way. So don't expect too much.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FWIW, I thought you were going to "stay away" from trolling type threads, how's that going for you?

Pretty good stuff Dr. PhilFD...I havent seen one of his posts in weeks as I "nords'd" him a while back.

Newguy...may I suggest you pick out a political forum as an outlet for your concerns and come back to us with your early retirement questions and pointers?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Let me splain' it to ya.

His opponent(s) were also peckerheads. So it came down to choosing which candidate was the least worst peckerhead. We probably chose wrong, but it's not like some great personality was overlooked.

The next election is shaping up the same way. So don't expect too much.
This should actually be printed in big lettering across our high school political science texts and the booths at the voting centers. Our system has degenerated to "I hate them both, but I hate him more" rather than voting for someone you actually believe in.

I voted for Kerry (who was a twit), just because I thought Bush was a bigger twit. The loser of that race wasn't Kerry, it was the American people. And no, I'm not by any means saying that had Kerry won, we might be better off - only Ms. Cleo knows the answer to that!
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
Our system has degenerated to "I hate them both, but I hate him more" rather than voting for someone you actually believe in.
I think we now are more cynical because we are better informed about the candidates than ever before in history. In the old days, the parties selected their candidates through a fairly closed process. A guy was put forward, and by then the party machine had already decided what the message would be and how they would shine up the candidate in the public eye. There were a lot of unseemly things the press chose not to report. So, the people fell in love with their party's candidate. Today the primaries are bruising, the debates are live, the press is digging/broadcasting 24/7 with a tremendous fervor. And, the bad news/dirt is always the lead story.

If we want to love our candidates again, we'll probably have to settle for knowing very little about them. Some folks do that even in today's environment, but it's more scary than admirable.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I can help a lot of people out with some simple advice.

I'm from Massachusetts. All of our politicians suck. We all watched with grave amusement at the flirtations of the nation with Mike Dukakis and John Kerry.

So stop doing that and pick someone from somewhere else.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I can help a lot of people out with some simple advice.

I'm from Massachusetts. All of our politicians suck. We all watched with grave amusement at the flirtations of the nation with Mike Dukakis and John Kerry.

So stop doing that and pick someone from somewhere else.
As long as it isn't Texas!
talltrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought we were at tangerine, with a hint of ochre.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote