Microsoft 2007 or 2010

Lodell

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello, I currently have MS 2003 on my home computer. Can I upgrade directly to MS 2010? I'm asking because this week, my employer chose to upgrade from 2003 to 2007. I wondering why they chose not to get MS 2010.

yes you can upgrade directly from 2003 to 2010. The changes from 2007 to 2010 weren't all that significant to me although I have heard that others prefer 2007 to 2010. Both are superior to 2003. Maybe you need to have Windows 7 to run 2010 and my guess is that your employer may still be running Windows XP which will run 2007.

I went from 2003 to 2010-- a small learning curve, but great product!

DW got a free home copy from work. It will work fine with your office's 2007 version. But documents you save in 2010's (or 2007's) native XML formats won't be compatable with 2003 and older versions of Office. For them to deal with a document you would have to save a copy in an older version. If your office is going to use the native version you will not be able to open documents in your home 2003 so you may as well upgrade all the way to 2010 at home.

your employer probably went to 2007 because it has been in the plans for 5 years and they do not have permission to go to 2010... that will be done in 2018.

my past employer upgraded to 2003 with support for 5 years. They were able to upgrade to 2008 but stopped getting any new releases after that without a new contract and shelling out big bucks.

Just another angle...maybe start using OpenOffice...it is free, compatible, and mirrors the MS Suites.

More about it...
OpenOffice.org - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here it is:
OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

Agreed, but now-a-days, it is best to go for the LibreOffice distribution. Essentially the same as OpenOffice, but it seems this has a better organization behind it for updates:

LibreOffice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home » LibreOffice

-ERD50

Agreed, but now-a-days, it is best to go for the LibreOffice distribution. Essentially the same as OpenOffice, but it seems this has a better organization behind it for updates:

LibreOffice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home » LibreOffice

-ERD50

Hey! You learn something new every day! I did not know about LibreOffice! Thanks!
A while back I heard that Libre Office was the way to go and then later read that Open Office is back on track with better support from IBM. At his point I am not sure which is best but here is a discussion of the two distros.

I have found LibreOffice, and OpenOffice before it, to be more fragile and slower than MS Office. There are limitations on macros also. So, I still have MS Office somewhere, but LibreOffice is on this machine. It is good for basics, though. When I no longer have the need for business communications, MS stuff will go away.

I have also not been able to get the LibreOffice spreadsheet to download raw data as .csv files from Yahoo/Finance/Historical Prices.

Last edited:
Back in the old days of Office 97, you bought the disk and could install or uninstall it on whatever computers you had - - you owned the software.

These days, when you buy Office (or other software), you don't really own it IMO. You can only install it on a limited number of computers even if all are in your home, and G*d help you if one of those craters before you can uninstall.

If buying MS Office was actually *buying* it, like it was in the old days, I'd probably pony up the ridiculously large fee for it. I like MS Office and begrudgingly feel Microsoft deserves my money for developing such a great software bundle over the years.

But since buying MS Office isn't like that any more (their choice, and I have no argument with that), after I retired I converted to Open Office. Actually I have found that for my purposes, Open Office has been perfect and seamless. I still use it daily on my huge, 17 spreadsheet Excel workbook (for investments, personal finance, and retirement computations) that I have been developing and adding to for the past 12+ years, and haven't had any problems with it at all, much to my surprise. I save everything in MS Office format for the flexibility.

Last edited:
I have also not been able to get the LibreOffice spreadsheet to download raw data as .csv files from Yahoo/Finance/Historical Prices.

I've never had a problem with this, in either OO or LO. I just tried it again to be sure, I get the dialog box for converting text, but I accept the defaults, just hit OK, and it seems fine.

I'm just clicking the "Download to spreadsheet' link on the yahoo page, then I double-click the down-loaded file (table.csv) and it opens with that text convert dialog.

Not sure why you would be having problems with this, what happens if you right-click and say 'open in LO", or open it from LO?

-ERD50

I still have the problem. The file does not download.

Upon clicking on the "Download to Spreadsheet' button, I get the following error message:
"C:\Users\user\AppData\local\Temp\table-1.csv could not be opened, because the helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences."

In my Win7 associations, .csv is associated with Libre Office Calc.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

I still have the problem. The file does not download.

Upon clicking on the "Download to Spreadsheet' button, I get the following error message:
"C:\Users\user\AppData\local\Temp\table-1.csv could not be opened, because the helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences."

In my Win7 associations, .csv is associated with Libre Office Calc.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Dunno exactly - I don't do Windows.

But I'd try two things. Look for the file in that directory, and right-click 'open with LibreOffice', or 'Open with Other Application....' (or whatever the Windows equivalent is). And/or, from LibreOffice, select 'Open' and navigate to that file in that directory.

Maybe the association is looking at an older installation of LibreOffice? I'd try deleting that association and resetting it with the current location of LibreOffice (again, not doing Windows, that might need a little translation, but something along those lines). Or google for this condition, maybe the EVIL Microsoft likes to interfere with anything trying to take MS Office's place?

-ERD50

Dunno exactly - I don't do Windows.

But I'd try two things. Look for the file in that directory, and right-click 'open with LibreOffice', or 'Open with Other Application....' (or whatever the Windows equivalent is). And/or, from LibreOffice, select 'Open' and navigate to that file in that directory.

Maybe the association is looking at an older installation of LibreOffice? I'd try deleting that association and resetting it with the current location of LibreOffice (again, not doing Windows, that might need a little translation, but something along those lines). Or google for this condition, maybe the EVIL Microsoft likes to interfere with anything trying to take MS Office's place?

-ERD50
I was about to say the same thing. Another thing to try is to download the csv file and open it from within Calc just to make sure the application is performing properly.

I switched the association (to a nonsense program, Notepad) and then switched it to Libre Office Calc. Same result.

The file never even shows up in the Downloads folder.

W2R, what happens when you try it?

Last edited:
The file never downloads, so I can't try different ways to open it. I will try to reset the association now. More soon.

I switched the association (to a nonsense program, Notepad) and then switched it to Libre Office Calc. Same result.

The file never even shows up in the Downloads folder.

W2R, what happens when you try it?
This sounds like a browser problem. I have never looked at Yahoo historical proces before but got curious from your posts. I looked up some historical prices and found the "Download to Spreadsheet" link you and ERD mentioned. I can open the data directly into Excel, I can click save to file and download it - from there I can open it in Calc or Excel. Try a different browser to see why you are not getting the file.

Thanks, Dan, it IS a browser problem!

Internet Explorer gave me the choice of downloading or opening and downloaded the file successfully.

Firefox, my normal browser, is the culprit. FF has been updating like crazy for the past month or so and warns me that some add-ons, etc, may not be updated to work with the current build. Downloading .csv files is broken now.

I may have to get a back-up third browser (do not like IE).

OK, fixed it. The associations were not in Win7, but FF8:

In FF8: Options/Options:
Applications tab:
for "csv File", changed "Action" to open with Libre Office Calc".

Now it downloads the .csv files and opens them in Libre Office Calc.

I Googled phrases from the error message and found a solution in an old Mozilla page.'

Google is your friend, but you need to ask the question correctly.

Thanks for the clue!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom