Join Early Retirement Today

Microsoft calling me: is this legit?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Microsoft calling me: is this legit?

I just got off the phone with someone obviously in a call center with a thick Indian accent claiming to represent Microsoft/Windows Technical support. He claimed that I have some kind of issue with my internet gateway (?) and downloading malicious files. I could not get them to confirm that this is a legit support call via a callback number or anything else and when I asked for a supervisor he said they would have to call back. Years in an institutional computing environment have made me very suspicious of phishing and social engineering attempts. How do I tell if this is legit and I do have a problem?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am 99.999% sure that this is not legit and you do not have a problem... This is a new scam that has been going on.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a scam: “I am calling you from Windows”: A tech support scammer dials Ars Technica | Ars Technica

Well, there is an unexpected bonus from being in a giant bureaucracy that is attacked thousands of times a day. I am now very hard to scam on this stuff. Guess I was paying attention to all those IT security trainings.

- George Orwell

Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Got the same scam call. It's a scam. Google "microsoft calling from india"
DW played stupid about computers and kept them on the phone for 30 min, then said I'm done playing with you, and hung up. Seems to be the only way to fight back is to waste their time.
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
I am 99.999% sure that this is not legit and you do not have a problem... This is a new scam that has been going on.

+1... I got a call like that maybe a year ago.... I hung up on the guy since there is NO way Microsoft knows how to get in touch with me except by email...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He calls me all the time Brewer. It's a pretty well known scam. Funny thing is my house is all Macintosh, but he still insists I have a Windows problem. He's obviously not very bright.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Scam, scam, scam.

On the other hand, a scam attempt like this can provide a great reminder to update and run one's anti-virus and Malwarebytes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What a bunch of scumbags. All the things I missed being at work all day...

- George Orwell

Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

I always talk like I am from India when I get those type of calls. I ask them if they have a sister I could marry, and how I miss Calcutta. If it's a woman...I ask is she married or if she has an unmarried sister. Sometimes I can keep them on the phone for awhile. Ahhhh...the smells of Calcutta...
Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
Got the same scam call. It's a scam. Google "microsoft calling from india"
DW played stupid about computers and kept them on the phone for 30 min, then said I'm done playing with you, and hung up. Seems to be the only way to fight back is to waste their time.
I did the same thing....except after I told him I was done playing, I emitted words so vulgar they're still floating around in outer space.

I hate scammers with a passion.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #11

I receive this scam call fairly frequently. One day I was in a mood to play with him so I kept going on and on. He had my name and address and read the address off in a strange way which ensures he is not familiar with US addresses at all. I told him he was wrong and he yelled at me, DON'T LIE!! Well look who's talking here. He also used profanity and cussed at me. Finally he hung up on me! These guys are really swell! I wish I knew how to stop these infuriating calls.

It appears they are trying to get us to go to their website and give them control over our computer so they can 'fix' the problem. They then hold you ransom and demand money to fix the problem they just created.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

They actually called back. DW picked up the phone, told them off, threatened to sic the FCC on them (waste of time, IMO), and then blocked their number from further calls.

- George Orwell

Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I hung up on this very same scam a while back. Microsoft doesn't reach through an ISP connection and onto a wifi network that should be encrypted and password protected, to figure out that the individual's pc has some problem. Microsoft doesn't "monitor" anything, they sell software.
I especially like the "I am calling you from Windows", a product, not a company...maybe I should've been scared it was the blue screen of death calling and I was next, lol.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Know several folks that got the same calll.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If you're lucky they will just take your money for doing nothing, since there is nothing wrong with your computer setup. If you are unlucky, they will plant some type of key-logger to record your passwords, and maybe even turn your computer into a BOT that they can control to do even more criminal activities.

You were wise to throw them under the bus.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Brewer, I got a call from them today (the first time I ever got one) at about the same time your post appeared (nearly 2 hours ago). I smelled a scam as soon as the caller with the heavy accent said he was calling from the Microsoft Technical Center or whatever place. I just said, "NO!" and hung up. As tempting it is to toy with these morons and waste their time, I have no real desire to do so.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I just got a call, not from Microsoft, but from a friend who had been on the phone with "someone from Yahoo" who she had given online access to her computer to solve a log-in problem. Unfortunately she wasn't aware of these statements on the Yahoo help page:

Quote:
How to know that you are working with Yahoo
  • Yahoo will never request a fee to reset a password or to assist with technical, abuse, or account compromise concerns.
  • Yahoo will never request to remote connect to your computer system for a support related request.
She called stopped short of giving him her CC number to pay to fix the problem and called to ask me if I thought she should.

Sad thing is it probably doesn't matter - he probably already has all he needs to steal her identity.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
Administrator

I got that Microsoft call a couple of weeks ago. Blocked caller ID, bad connection, a certain echo I recall from my early days with VOIP. When they said it was MS calling I laughed so hard the guy got angry with me.

I won't give info over the phone to anyone unless I make the first contact and feel badly for folks that do.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #19

I have not received any of these phone calls and had not heard of them. I do not answer my phone if it shows private caller or is a phone number that I don't know. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
How do I tell if this is legit and I do have a problem?
Next time, ask him if you need a credit card. If he says yes, tell him to wait a minute until you get your stack of Target cards so he can pick one.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote