Microsoft Office Help.........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hello there, looking for a little help. I recently purchased a Dell PC because my old Dell died. I was looking to buy and install Microsoft Office 2010 because my kid's schools use it. However, I want to load it on 3 devices. Is there a digital version that would allow that? I see Office 2013 is being pushed. Also, 365 Premium, but they want $100 a year every year to keep it........

Quite confusing.........

DW has a laptop, we have a home PC and an Ipad..looking to get it on all 3.........because my new wireless printer is the bomb..........:)

I see I said Works on the thread title, I mean Office..........:)

The one Michael linked to is the one that I have. I am needing to add a 4th computer and haven't decided what to do. Maybe I'll just use open office for it.

MS office is not available ( yet ) for Ipad, there is a mac version.

Use OpenOffice, LibreOffice or google docs which are all free.

Open Office and Google Docs work great for me. I love Google Docs, especially for sharing input. As rbmrtm said they are free.

Not sure about current licensing, msoft used to offer a student license for the purpose you suggest. This was win7, and whatever office was current then.
Best wishes,
MRG
Edit to add: missed ipad, probably go open source.

Last edited:
I believe if you get an Office 365 subscription you can install it on 3-5 different machines for the one price.

I believe if you get an Office 365 subscription you can install it on 3-5 different machines for the one price.

It is 5. But, it is $100 a year. And it is the current Office. I think the OP was looking for Office 2010.

Sometimes people need to use a specific version. My daughter is doing some courses at CC that require using programs specifically from Office 2010, not 2013.

+1 for GoogleDocs. I've imported all my spreadsheets from Excel with no issues. It's great to get to everything regardless of device.

I'd buy that Home/Student version just to get out of the woods for now. Then transition away from MSO at your leisure. You'll probably need to make another decision in a few years, so at that time you'll be tablet-centric, and open source will make a lot of sense I'm sure.

I'd buy that Home/Student version just to get out of the woods for now. Then transition away from MSO at your leisure. You'll probably need to make another decision in a few years, so at that time you'll be tablet-centric, and open source will make a lot of sense I'm sure.
+1

For your kid, buy the student version. s/he will be using it in the workplace a long time. Open Office (or Libre Office) will be enough for me after I pull the plug.

Yet another vote for Open Office. I switched my small business over to it 3 years ago and it is great. Run it on 5 machines with no problems at all.

Yet another vote for Open Office. I switched my small business over to it 3 years ago and it is great. Run it on 5 machines with no problems at all.

I had a home theater set up about 6 years ago with a Linux computer and Open Office. Did web surfing just fine. My son tried to move back and forth between Open Office and Word. He was using a lot of inserted pictures, etc. He basically had to reconstruct everything from scratch in MS Word because the document did not work going back to MS Word which was on the laptop that he had to take to school for a presentation. I still remember it because I caught a lot of flack over it. Unless Open Office has gotten better, it does not imbed spread sheets, etc. as nicely as MS Word, but for simple documents that can be saved and read in a .doc format, it works fine and I used to like to use it.

I had a home theater set up about 6 years ago ... Unless Open Office has gotten better, ...

I think you'll find it has improved immensely in 6 years. There can still be some compatibility issues, but typically pretty minor, sometimes less so than between different versions of MS Office.

BTW, I think most people use the LibreOffice version of it now, which was spun off from OpenOffice (some Sun licensing/control issues).

LibreOffice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50

Hello there, looking for a little help. I recently purchased a Dell PC because my old Dell died. I was looking to buy and install Microsoft Office 2010 because my kid's schools use it. However, I want to load it on 3 devices. Is there a digital version that would allow that? I see Office 2013 is being pushed. Also, 365 Premium, but they want $100 a year every year to keep it........

Quite confusing.........

DW has a laptop, we have a home PC and an Ipad..looking to get it on all 3.........because my new wireless printer is the bomb..........:)

I see I said Works on the thread title, I mean Office..........:)

I had Office 2004 for Mac (student and teacher version) and it came with 3 product keys for 3 installations.I had the cd for that version.

I have Office 2011 for Mac now - digital version. I've had it since Oct 2011, but I don't know the specifics of the licensing. I bought a new Mac yesterday and the migration went smoothly, but the new computer asked for my product key. I received one via email when I bought it in 2011 but lost it. I called Microsoft this morning and they found my purchase in their records and gave me the key. This purchase was through DW's work and was 5 or 10 bucks.

I would think that a multiple installation digital version would be available - and hopefully you can get the student/teacher version

I think you'll find it has improved immensely in 6 years. There can still be some compatibility issues, but typically pretty minor, sometimes less so than between different versions of MS Office.

BTW, I think most people use the LibreOffice version of it now, which was spun off from OpenOffice (some Sun licensing/control issues).

LibreOffice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50
Thanks ERD50,

I'm planning on doing another Home Theater when I build my cabin next summer. I'll have to give LibreOffice a try along with all the new home automation stuff that I'm sure is out there in the open software world.

Back
Top Bottom