Join Early Retirement Today

microwave weirdness
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

microwave weirdness

DH recently brought home some chocolate chip cookies, and I've been warming mine up in the microwave before I eat them. But the odd thing is that when I heat one up, the microwave makes a kind of rattling/crackling sound for maybe half a second partway through the 10 seconds of heating. I put one cookie in at a time, in the center of the revolving plate.

I thought the microwave was going bad, but it's still fine when I heat other stuff, so it's definitely the cookies. The ingredients are: flour, cane juice, palm shortening, chocolate chips, brown rice syrup, walnuts, vanilla, soy lecithin, molasses, baking soda, unsweetened cocoa, and salt.

Any ideas? The cookies taste fine. I actually just ate the last one this morning.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mine does that too, sometimes, mostly when I microwave single portion French bread pizza. (Maybe it is telling us that cookies and pizza are not healthy? ) I usually stop and restart it and it is less noticeable.

Also, sometimes my microwave starts making a moderately loud "thunk!" sound like something was dropped. I found that stopping it and restarting it helps. I presume that is because the rotation reverses on every usage. Maybe the "thunk" has something to do with the rotation motor.

I had the same microwave for over a quarter century I think, and it wouldn't break. Finally, I replaced the unbroken microwave in 2006 just because it was ugly and took up too much counter space, and five years later I get this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My guess is it is not a big enough item. Kind of like running the microwave by itself. A no-no.

Try heating up 2 or three cookies at the same time and see what happens.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

Interesting. I already ate all the cookies, so I can't do the test, but I bet you're right, that would make sense. Especially since W2R gets the same thing with a single-serving item. Thanks! I will avoid doing that in the future.

(also, on a semi-related note, I once accidentally ran the microwave empty when I meant to run the timer. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it did something noisy and then shut off. We let it cool down for a while before using it again, but no problems since. Good to know there's a safety shut-off )

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You can also throw in a cup of water to take up some of the rays....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
But in that case, make it half-full and put a saucer on top, unless you want steamed cookies. (Although actually, I guess that might make them nice and chewy...)
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #7

I don't think the cookie will be appreciably steamed in the 10-20 seconds the microwave is on.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
This was always standard advice from the manufacturers of early model microwaves. The mass of a cup of water will do a fine job of absorbing the energy so you don't get it radiating back into the magnetron (which can destroy it through a feedback loop).
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
Interesting. I already ate all the cookies, so I can't do the test, but I bet you're right, that would make sense. Especially since W2R gets the same thing with a single-serving item. Thanks! I will avoid doing that in the future.
Quote:
I think this calls for additional research with several fresh bags, 6-8 cookies per run, and perhaps some double-blind testing against a control group...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like all that energy focused on just one cookie is making the cookie dance!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #11

I'm wondering if this thread shouldn't be moved to http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-did-you-do-today-37868.html
Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When I heat a small item it is always on a plate or in a bowl. So far no strange sounds. Might be easier then a cup of water.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you eat only one cookie??
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
How do you eat only one cookie??
Oh, I don't eat only one. I just heat them up that way because it makes for a good soft-cookie texture

I'll try the water next time I heat something small, that sounds safe. I guess I could try the plate too, although it always seems questionable to be heating up the plate that much. Sometimes if I heat a bowl of something, then empty it and heat another batch, the bowl ends up really hot, hotter than the food. I feel like that can't be good.