Join Early Retirement Today
True Confession: I Was A Yarn Addict
Old 05-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.
True Confession: I Was A Yarn Addict

In November 2007, I learned to knit, started buying a LOT of yarn and shoes—(OK they’re not related, but they’re what I've been buying in the past couple of years) , began sending more money to my relatives abroad and sending my nephew there to college. I basically gave up on my early-retirement (pipe?) dream, with the meltdown of the markets around that time and the realization that I don't make enough to save enough to retire early.

This past spring, I went on a trip to Italy with a girlfriend, my first time ever outside the US except for trips to visit my mom and my brother in the Philippines. It was my 50th-birthday gift to myself. It was a lovely time!

Now I’ve got to buckle down and get a grip on financial recording and planning and setting retirement goals again. I'm glad I did not stop trying to max my deferred comp contributions and the ROTH IRA contributions, but I did not really save beyond those in the last few years. I’d be happy now with just being able to retire at traditional retirement age; it's too late for me to ever ER. At least, the trip to Italy has shaken me free from yarn-buying. I have enough yarn to last a lifetime.

As I turn 50 this year, I find myself thinking more of death, how short life is. I have an urge to de-clutter, not that I have many "big" (valuable) possessions, but just to have a simpler life that’s more free from maintaining stuff.

flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #82
Not me, per se but I've tagged along on DHs. We got married when he was 30, quit our jobs to go sailing for a bit when he was 40 and he plans to quit working next year at 50 and take some time, as Ziggy mentioned, to think about what he might like to do next.

I think having the mental "space" to contemplate your past, present, and future is critical to your emotional well-being. An examined life and all that. It is important to me to give DH that space and time to do some navel-gazing.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote