Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And the juvenile nonsense continues. Well I suppose it makes sense... they say that retirement is just a second childhood.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #162

This process has been going on longer than 5 years.

I'm not sure how well white-collar jobs have fared since the GR. But I recall reading somewhere that the unemployment rate for people with college degrees was like 5% while the overall unemployment rate was double that.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #163

Here's a direct link to that data:

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

So it's 3.9% for folks with college degrees versus 7.8% overall.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Here's a direct link to that data:

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

So it's 3.9% for folks with college degrees versus 7.8% overall.

Thanks for the table... so far an interesting read...

But, as my boss would point out, it does not tell the whole story... as he would say, there is a lot of underemployment out there.... people with college degrees working at Starbucks or someplace else where they are not using their education... I keep hearing him say the real rate is closer to 12 or 15%... can't remember his number right now....
Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #165

Quote:
Well I suppose it makes sense... they say that retirement is just a second childhood.
"Life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages" -- Mark Twain
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Someone say something?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Someone say something?
Ok I'll bite.

All things considered, it is probably better to be under or unemployed in America than to be employed in many other countries. I have no evidence to back this up beyond gut feeling and a documentary or two.

NMF
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyFault View Post
Ok I'll bite.

All things considered, it is probably better to be under or unemployed in America than to be employed in many other countries. I have no evidence to back this up beyond gut feeling and a documentary or two.

NMF
Re: Someone say something; if everyone is on ignore, do they still make a noise?

Yup, though a lot of people wonder if it's a good thing for someone on public assistance, or in prison, for that matter, to have better living quarters, cars, smartphones, etc. than someone busting a hump working one or more jobs...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

The disappearance of the middle class Early Retirement Extreme: — a combination of simple living, anticonsumerism, DIY ethics, self-reliance, and applied capitalism

Quote:
As a country, America is very productive. There are enough resources to live very well if those resources are spent wisely. We are twice as productive as we were 50 years ago. By all rational means it should be possible to work only two weeks a month and live perfectly happy lives. Alternatively, it should be possible to work for less than a decade and then retire early.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #170

Quote:

And this raises another issue. Five hundred years ago, everyone knew how to stoke the coal stove (or whatever it is they did to keep their homes warm), a skill that practically no one has today. Now some people twist this fact into a veneration of having such antiquated skills, and I suppose if you're hoping and praying for a complete break-down of society and relish some dystopian vision of the future that makes sense. .

Actually 500 years ago it was a wood burning fireplace. Stoves were rare luxuries of the nobility at best. Recall that Franklin invented the Franklin Stove as one of the first stoves and that is 250 years ago or so. I was reading a history of steam and coal became a power source in the US once wood got scarce for railroads and riverboats (around the time of the civil war). Stoves really took the decrease in the cost of Iron in the early to mid 19th century. The first coal use was at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire England. The problem England had was that all the trees were gone having been used to make charcoal for iron making. So they tried coal and after a bit of experimentation figured out essentially the process used in the modern blast furnace. That is about 1700 or so. Then London got coal since you could ship it by water from Newcastle. But until the railroads coal was not a widely used commodity where it did not occur locally.
But to give an example my grandmother still used a wood burning stove part time (partly for heat) in the 1960s (the house had electricity but no running water)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually 500 years ago it was a wood burning fireplace. Stoves were rare luxuries of the nobility at best. Recall that Franklin invented the Franklin Stove as one of the first stoves and that is 250 years ago or so. I was reading a history of steam and coal became a power source in the US once wood got scarce for railroads and riverboats (around the time of the civil war). Stoves really took the decrease in the cost of Iron in the early to mid 19th century. The first coal use was at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire England. The problem England had was that all the trees were gone having been used to make charcoal for iron making. So they tried coal and after a bit of experimentation figured out essentially the process used in the modern blast furnace. That is about 1700 or so. Then London got coal since you could ship it by water from Newcastle. But until the railroads coal was not a widely used commodity where it did not occur locally.
But to give an example my grandmother still used a wood burning stove part time (partly for heat) in the 1960s (the house had electricity but no running water)
Personally, I take pride in building up my Luddite/throwback skills. I am heating the house with wood (that I cut and split) as I type this, I bake my own bread, make my own yogurt, brew my own beer, catch my own fish, hunt a good bit of my meat in season, etc. In the future I would like to learn to do more including become a better gardener/farmer and learn to cast my own bullets out of lead.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #172
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It's not even as good as that. I think we've been found by a 'bot that generates random contradictions and plausible-sounding but entirely nonsensical platitudes.
We got a chatbot on here once before, but we smoked it out and sent it packing.