Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I also was not given a middle name (not sure why not as my sisters and brother have them). Sometimes I tell people I go by my middle name and don’t have a first name. I use my maiden name as a middle name now if situations demand one.

Two of my granddaughters do not have middle names either. And I know some children who have two middle names. It’s really not much of an identifier any more.

Related: I didn’t get a drivers license til I was 25 for various reasons. I guess I used my social security card as an id til then, but I don’t remember ever needing to prove who I was til I got a passport in 1977. Times have certainly changed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I work with a lot of people from India with only an initial for first or last name. No middle initial either.

Then their are the hyphenated names...

Old 08-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't get this thread either. I must be having an off day. You've gotten yourself into a mess because you don't have a middle name, but have used one on legal documents. Wouldn't life be simpler if you just had a middle name? How is a middle name "vanity trouble"? I don't get the vanity part, and I don't get the trouble part of having one either.
I think life would be simpler if middle names didn't exist.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'd never heard that. In Latin America women keep their maiden name and use both (maiden and new last), but they also have middle names, so after mariage they have 4 names. It's also very common in some countries to address girls by both first and middle name.

Exactly. Forget middle names in the US. Theyíre nothing compared with names in Russia, Latin America, and Iím sure plenty of other countries.

Creating applications for global use, we quickly learned size requirements for name fields were much greater internationally than we ever dreamed, having grown up in our provincial caves. Patronymic names and the like. Who knew?

US names are positively short by comparison.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

My ex husband and 3 of his siblings don't have middle names. His youngest brother was born after his parents divorce and he was given his mother's boyfriend's last name as a middle name. His oldest brother gave himself a middle name. His only other brother was given the name RC - which doesn't stand for anything (must be a southern thing?) and no middle name. I think he suffers the most as you can imagine.

When we bought our first house the mortgage company inserted a letter as a middle name on the paperwork and to this day he still gets mail with that fake middle initial.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #26

My issue is that Iíve always been called by my middle name. My first name is actually my momís name and I never used it. When I had to get a new social security and driverís license after my purse was stolen, they now insist you go by first name, middle initial, last name. I used to have all my records with just my middle and last names. Then because they insist I go by first name, last name, my medical insurance, Medicare, prescriptions, and medical records all have to be under my first name. So now Iím resigned to all my doctors calling me by my momís name. Iím tired of trying to correct them.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:41 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW is in sort of a mess with respect to RealID. We have to renew our licenses next year to upgrade then to RealID. Her license, real estate title, taxes. SS and Medicare all use K as her middle initial. The K is the first letter of her maiden name. Her passport and Global Entry account use Jean which is her actual middle name from birth. So far, no problem. When we fly internationally she always uses Jean or J. When we fly domestically she uses K. We enter the Global Entry number for domestic flights and it works fine - we always get TSA pre-approved. When we go in for the new RealID license we plan to leave the passport at home and use other document so she can stick with K on everything other than the passport Our worry is that as things tighten up the discrepancy will come to haunt us. Getting the passport name changed is not an easy matter unless you have a recent court action or marriage.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW is in sort of a mess with respect to RealID. We have to renew our licenses next year to upgrade then to RealID. Her license, real estate title, taxes. SS and Medicare all use K as her middle initial. The K is the first letter of her maiden name. Her passport and Global Entry account use Jean which is her actual middle name from birth. So far, no problem. When we fly internationally she always uses Jean or J. When we fly domestically she uses K. We enter the Global Entry number for domestic flights and it works fine - we always get TSA pre-approved. When we go in for the new RealID license we plan to leave the passport at home and use other document so she can stick with K on everything other than the passport Our worry is that as things tighten up the discrepancy will come to haunt us. Getting the passport name changed is not an easy matter unless you have a recent court action or marriage.

That was part of my problem. In order to drop my real first name, I had been using my middle name as my first name, my maiden name as my middle name. When my purse was stolen, I had to use my birth certificate and marriage certificate to get a new social security card and driverís lice certificate and they said I HAD to go by my first name on all official records. I hope your wife can work something out, but donít be surprised if they require a change to match the birth certificate.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Henrietta and Fayette , thank god I didn’t get parents middle names��
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #30

My life didn't end up getting as complicated as the OP but like you I was told to use my confirmation name as a middle name. I never did except on my Social Security card. In the Air Force I used "NMI" a lot.

In July 2016 I got one of those souped-up drivers licenses. Had to bring Birth cert, DD-214, military ID, and SS card. I didn't get any questions. It sailed through. maybe I got lucky with the DMV clerk?

In July 2018 I went in person to the SS office to get the name corrected .
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #31

Sold a property to a nice Hawaiian girl. I don't know if it's universal, but in our area, each party is required to sign the various transfer documents with full names - MULTIPLE times. Not too big a deal for DW and I, but nice Hawaiian girl had (IIRC) 248 letters in her combination of first, last and multiple middle names (I'm thinking she had 17 middle names, but time fades my memory.) Thankfully, we did not have to be present for most of these signings. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My grandpa was born in 1899. His first name was Leo and he didn't have a middle name. When I was little, he told me his parents couldn't afford to give him one!
I wasn't sure the connection, but I remember feeling very sad and wishing I could "buy" him a middle name!

Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote