Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Midnight at casa del RayinPenn.. I'm too old for this stuff
Old 10-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Midnight at casa del RayinPenn.. I'm too old for this stuff

I'm always the last person to know what's going on. I'm sure the wife, daughter and son do that deliberately because the old fuddy dutty may have something to say about it. Well yesterday my wife informed me she was dropping off the kids at a train station at 1PM so they can go to Octoberfest. The kids being my daughter the boyfriend and 2 other college recent graduates. Apparently you can sample 250 kinds of beer all for $25. I learned during the drive over that thousands were expected to attend. I visualize a situation fraught wth peril - hordes of drunken kids, in Philly and all that goes with that. I decided to go along for the ride to the station so we could hit Lowes on the way home as I wanted to replace a LED flood light that illuminates my back deck. RayinPenn doesn't like a dark house.

I didn't want to be gone from the house too long because Dusty is still recuperating and I don't want her messing with those staples. We get home and I watched and enjoyed the Penn State game, slip out at half time and replace the Broken flood light and then watch some TV and before you know it was 9PM. It was around then that we heard the first of 2 what sounded like gunshots/small explosions. Both times the dog put up a fuss for a few minutes and eventually calmed down.
Those explosions set the tone for the evening.

I normally hit the sack at 9:30PM yeah I also get up at 5AM. Well there was a promise by the Mrs that she would pick up the kids if it wasn't past 11PM. No way would I allow her to go alone. An hour later then usual -10:30 and I walk dusty, I immediately hear the dogs barking down the street. Something (deer) or someone is moving about. Dusty is staring off into the distance listening.. the dogs dont let up. Since the next door neighbors breakin, the 'footprints in the snow' incident and the 9MM i found on the grass I'm on guard. I lock the screen door too.. [mod edit]

Around 10:45 the daughter texts that they are catching the 11:04 train and they would 'Uber it'. Around 11:10 my daughter speaks to the Mrs and confirms we are on the train. I've had enough and go to bed. The Mrs follows me 10 minutes later and tells me she feels a bit guilty because she believes the daughter was fishing for my wife to volunteer to pick them up. "your 60 years old I don't think we need to be the taxi service." I start to drift off when Dusty goes crazy again. I check the cameras (they have night vision) and can see nothing but Dogs don't tell scary stories - she has heard something. I calm her and call here up and eventually she finds her bed. The daughter rolls in around midnight "I forgot my keys". I am too old for this stuff.

I find a broken mirror in the road at the back of my property.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

OMG, priceless, I need to research the footprints in the snow incident. must have been before my forum days.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #3

Yep. My saying with regard to the kiddos and in laws "No imposition is too great."
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you live in a not so great area. Have you not considered moving?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Good thing it was not in Las Vegas..

I missed the 9mm story and the footprints story...
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Good thing it was not in Las Vegas..

I missed the 9mm story and the footprints story...

9MM anyone?
The Mrs and I were taking the dog for a walk around the neighborhood. Plastic bags in my back pocket lest we leave anything behind. I see what i believe is a toy handgun about a foot from the curb. I think to myself my 'they sure are making them look realistic'. As soon as i picked it up the weight told me this is all wrong.. too heavy. I have a 12 gauge (Joe Bidden special) home defense shotgun and a 22 with a scope for plinking. Handguns well Ive shot them but my familiarity stops there. We walk over two houses over to a friends house carrying the weapon like it is radioactive material, I carefully place it on her stoop and i ask her to call the police. My buddy pulls up (kids were friends) and I tell him the story. He picks up the gun slides the whatever, inspects the gun "9MM loaded and all ready to go". The police come and take the gun away.

Last winter 'footprints in the snow'
I walked the dog and didn't see anything..It was only when the Mrs took the garbage out that she noticed 'the footprints in the snow'. They went from car to car obviously checking for an unlocked car and whatever goodies they could find. A little snooping and i discover this is a regular occurrence. A few days later my wife notices the shed door is ajar? My first thought sweet Moses my John Deere but thankfully nothing is missing. They hit the next door neighbors shed as well.

We now have cameras and two locks on that shed...
Old 10-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
My first thought sweet Moses my John Deere ...

Sounds like your priorities are in order[emoji1].
Good read as usual but am I missing something with the broken mirror or is it the bad luck thing? I thought you had to be the one that actually broke it.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Sounds like your priorities are in order[emoji1].
Good read as usual but am I missing something with the broken mirror or is it the bad luck thing? I thought you had to be the one that actually broke it.

It was odd broken mirror frame and all in the street..