Join Early Retirement Today

Might be the last straw
Old 02-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Might be the last straw

I really hope not, but the stuff below looks to me like the beginning of the end of even a hope for peace and order in Iraq. I just hope that the US has the sense to get out, hopefully as a UN peacekeeping force comes in.

Shrine Attack Brings Civil War Warning By ZIAD KHALAF, Associated Press Writer
5 minutes ago

SAMARRA, Iraq - Insurgents detonated bombs inside one of Iraq's holiest Shiite shrines Wednesday, destroying its golden dome and triggering more than 60 reprisal attacks on Sunni mosques. The president warned that extremists were pushing the country toward civil war, as many Shiites lashed out at the United States as partly to blame.

ADVERTISEMENT

As the gold dome of the 1,200-year-old Askariya shrine lay in ruins, leaders on both sides called for calm: But the string of back-and-forth attacks seemed to push the country closer to all-out civil war than at any point in the three years since the U.S.-led overthrow of Saddam Hussein.

"We are facing a major conspiracy that is targeting Iraq's unity," said President Jalal Talabani, a Kurd. "We should all stand hand in hand to prevent the danger of a civil war."

U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and the top American commander in Iraq also warned it was a "critical moment for Iraq" and called the bombings a deliberate attempt to create sectarian tension. They promised the U.S. would contribute to the shrine's reconstruction.

"This attack is a crime against humanity," Khalilzad and Gen. George W. Casey Jr., said in a joint statement.

In one ominous sign of how Shiites may react, Iraq's top Shiite cleric and the country's vice president hinted that local armed militias might play a bigger role in security in future, if the government can't protect such holy shrines.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Might be the last straw
Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I saw that article and just shook my head. I remember U.S. troops not being allowed to even walk down the street of the shrine when we first invaded. The commander did everything right, even had his troops assume a (on one) kneeling position to show lack of hostility, the crowd was having none of it.

Everyone knows it's a blatent attempt by Zarqawi supporters/sympathisers to foment civil war, but I don't believe that will change the outcome. After all, if I was a Shiite, I would be asking, "Hey, Sunni's why are you welcoming/working with/supporting these a**holes?". Unless the militant/insurgent Sunnis do some real demostrating of denouncement and condemnation of this act, say capturing and handing over Zarkawi (don't know the spelling, and frankly don't care) I see civil war. For Shiites, they might as well have bombed mecca!

Old 02-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
They promised the U.S. would contribute to the shrine's reconstruction.
If you were a shrine maintenance manager without enough money or support for your 1200 year-old compound and you read that sentence, what would you do?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If you were a shrine maintenance manager without enough money or support for your 1200 year-old compound and you read that sentence, what would you do?
Probably continue high-tailing it out of the country.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

But I'd wait for that first check to roll in...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

At the start of this ridiculous war, I disagreed with the Dems who were saying the the Iraqi's could not handle democracy and, even if they could, didn't deserve it.* I was wrong. They can't and they don't. Lesson learned.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
At the start of this ridiculous war, I disagreed with the Dems who were saying the the Iraqi's could not handle democracy and, even if they could, didn't deserve it.* I was wrong. They can't and they don't.* Lesson learned.
Wow, you sound like my husband. (and a few others I know)
Old 02-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

"No one GIVES you power. Real power is something you TAKE..." Jock Ewing

Old 02-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
the Dems who were saying the the Iraqi's could not handle democracy and, even if they could, didn't deserve it.*
Could you cite the person(s) who claimed Iraqis do not "deserve democracy even if they can handle it"?*

Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhmen
Could you cite the person(s) who claimed Iraqis do not "deserve democracy even if they can handle it"?
It was this guy...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uncle Saddam Wants YOU!.jpg (12.1 KB, 55 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Funny...when I saw the photo but hadnt gotten down to the name of the file, I was thinking "what a great army recruiting shot...uncle sam wants you!".

Like I've said from the beginning, anyone invading mesopotamia will discover the same thing every other invading army has. The people all hate each other, the country is unmanageable, and eventually they give up and walk away. Then a strongman grabs the reins, kills anyone that causes him problems, and threatens any possible future antagonists with torture and death. Then everything settles down until someone else gets a bright idea...

However, some people either dont read the history books or think that if you do the same thing xx times that eventually you'll get a different result...

As Roger Williams used to say "INCORRRECT....asshole".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

And now the Shias are blaming the Sunnis, the Sunnis blame the Shias saying they framed them (yeah right) and the President of Iraq blames the "Zionists" and say they did it (even more outrageous than the Sunnis claim!). I bet the Kurds are really happy they still have their army (Peshmerga?).
Old 02-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
It was this guy...

Lon Cheney? :P