Military Coup in Thailand

Whole thing seems to stem from accusations of corruption.

Ironic to me that at least part of the coup happened while W was at the UN speaking about the importance of his democracy agenda. :-X

Apocalypse said:
Ironic to me that at least part of the coup happened while W was at the UN speaking about the importance of his democracy agenda. :-X

I would have bet money you were going to say the irony was the fact it occurred on "International Talk Like A Pirate Day". :cool:

Any of you frequent travelers know the rules for folks with airline tickets to Bangkok? (China Airlines) If we cancel, do we get the money back, by any chance?

We were going to have to cancel anyway due to FIL's being sick, but if I can get the whole ticket back instead of just a portion, I'll do it.

(Yeah, pigs might fly, too, but hey, I've gotta at least ask.)

Leaving aside my selfish considerations for a moment, best of luck and safety to anyone out there now -- take care of yourselves!!!!

Caroline

Apocalypse said:
the Thai PM was also at the UN. Thus, the timing. ;)

Thaksin was in New York at the U.N. General Assembly, and he declared a state of emergency in an audio statement via a government-owned TV station in Bangkok in a vain attempt to stave off the coup.

Relax folks, this was a long time in coming. I was surprised that it didn't happen while we were there. Would it stop me from returning. Not a chance. Thaskin left with 35 suitcases. He never planned on returning. "Take the Money and Run"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/5362602.stm

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Billy said:
Thaskin left with 35 suitcases. He never planned on returning. "Take the Money and Run"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/5362602.stm
I've read how you guys pack-- how the heck would you know when someone's carrying "too much" luggage?!?

Maybe King Rama asked Thaksin to deliver some extra lychee & rambutan to the various UN delegations?

Let's see... Thaksin has sold his company, left the country, and exported a number of checks checked bags... I guess this could really screw up his chances in next month's election.

I wonder what country would welcome Thaksin with open arms. Considering the way he's treated "drug dealers" and Muslims, I think the guy would be safer under Bangkok house arrest.

Seems Thaskin packed just a couple of more items than we recommend. Perhaps he should have read our book----or maybe he did!

He'll need those extra clothes as the elections isn't until Oct. 07. Or maybe the suitcases were not filled with clothes...?

Interesting times in the Land of Smiles. Sorry to have missed his farewell party.

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Nords said:
I wonder what country would welcome Thaksin with open arms.  Considering the way he's treated "drug dealers" and Muslims, I think the guy would be safer under Bangkok house arrest.

Remind me again where Michael Jackson ended up? There is a place for everyne in this world (at least if you have lots of money).

Back
Top Bottom