Join Early Retirement Today

Military Families in Need
Old 07-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Military Families in Need

Well, with an hour and a half left to spare (East Coast, AKA the RIGHT Coast :P) on the Fourth of July, it got me thinking about service members and their families.

I want to help those in need. If anyone knows of anyone, please, connect with me. If they are in need of employment, guidance, addiction, a home or even something as small as enjoying cold beer, I would love to help.

I help a few charities with providing Christmas for service members and their families at home, sending off gifts and assisting with injury recovery but I want to do more. If there is one major regret in life that I have, it's not joining the armed forces.

Hope everyone has a safe and healthy year!

conway19145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There are many military charities that do a lot of good.

Just as an example, the PenFed Foundation is one I've supported it for many years.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Building Homes For Heros is one of my favorite charities. They focus on customizing homes specific to the needs of the veteran and his family.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

How about the USO?

https://www.uso.org/take-action/volunteer

If you are in a major market there are opportunities to staff the USO facility at a major airport, as an example. I have seen these folks in action taking care of traveling service folks and their families, very heart-warming.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
Administrator

I suggest the Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society. nmcrs.org. They are highly rated by Charity Navigator and do a lot of good for sailors, Marines and their families who are in need. You can volunteer as well as donate.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I suggest the Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society. nmcrs.org. They are highly rated by Charity Navigator and do a lot of good for sailors, Marines and their families who are in need. You can volunteer as well as donate.
Seconded. Best way to directly impact active duty families.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Seconded. Best way to directly impact active duty families.
A fine charity. Analogous charities for the other service branches, all are highly rated by Charity Navigator:

US Army: Army Emergency Relief
US Air Force: Air Force Aid Society
Coast Guard: Coast Guard Mutual Assistance
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I served on Active Duty my wife volunteered at Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society as a budget counselor. They are a good charity.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #9

Another good charity: Fisher House.
fisherhouse.org

Builds and runs housing facilities for military (and veterans') families to live in temporarily while family members are being treated in military/VA hospitals away from home. Sort of a Ronald McDonald House concept with a military twist.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Another good charity: Fisher House.
fisherhouse.org

Builds and runs housing facilities for military (and veterans') families to live in temporarily while family members are being treated in military/VA hospitals away from home. Sort of a Ronald McDonald House concept with a military twist.
I second this. When I was stationed at Dover (where all the fallen are processed at the mortuary), I volunteered with the Fisher House folks...it is a fantastic organization that is run exceptionally well.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Here are 2 my associations donates too

http://www.operationturbo.org

http://operationtroopappreciation.org

They also donate to fisherhouse.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway19145 View Post
I want to help those in need. If anyone knows of anyone, please, connect with me. If they are in need of employment, guidance, addiction, a home or even something as small as enjoying cold beer, I would love to help.

I help a few charities with providing Christmas for service members and their families at home, sending off gifts and assisting with injury recovery but I want to do more. If there is one major regret in life that I have, it's not joining the armed forces.
Another vote for Fisher House Foundation. You can either volunteer at the closest one, or you could see whether your local hospitals have any fundraising plans to build one. One of my college classmates worked at their headquarters in operations and is now doing community relations.

Your local USO (usually at the airport) always needs someone willing to keep an eye on things in the lounge and to help travelers who aren't familiar with the area.

Talk to your local VA clinic or Veteran Support Officer office about volunteering to help vets with the transition out of active duty. Someone is always seeking help with a resume or networking for interviews.

Spring 2020: my daughter and I wrote “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next-Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Another vote for Fisher House Foundation. You can either volunteer at the closest one, or you could see whether your local hospitals have any fundraising plans to build one. One of my college classmates worked at their headquarters in operations and is now doing community relations.

Your local USO (usually at the airport) always needs someone willing to keep an eye on things in the lounge and to help travelers who aren't familiar with the area.

Talk to your local VA clinic or Veteran Support Officer office about volunteering to help vets with the transition out of active duty. Someone is always seeking help with a resume or networking for interviews.
Locally, we have Charlotte Bridge Home. It helps get our warriors transitioned successfully from military to civilian life. The nearest military base is a ~90 minute drive, so veteran resources are limited in the area. CBH fills that gap. Your area may have something similar. Three others you might check out are: VFW, American Legion, DAV.

Best of luck. And as one veteran to many here, thanks for serving.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #14

I just happened to see an article about this place in today's Boston Globe...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...Z6L/story.html

(I'm sorry; I don't know how to do the nice short links to url's. If someone else can fix this one I'd appreciate it. Not sure if the Globe will require a log-in. I am a subscriber.)

It's about a retreat that an ex-Army sergeant started in Maine for wounded/disabled vets to go to and try to work on getting themselves back together physically and psychologically. Includes their families. Looks very impressive. It's called Maine Chance Lodge. They've had a lot of support from businesses in Maine and elsewhere but can always use more.

https://www.travismills.org/foundation/our-retreat/