Join Early Retirement Today

Military retirement?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Military retirement?

Hello, to all.
I am new to the forums and I have alot of questions that I know that will be answered here. That's "Why" I joined. The basics are, I am an SFC retired drawing retired pay, V.A. CRDP w/offset and have been Civil Service for just over 3yr. I had a spine injury which was supposed to be fixed (plating front/ bone removal back Cervical)(bone removal lumbar back)while I was still active. I just found out that none of the surgeries took. Doctor states will have to quit/ unable to return to work. Any ideas of what I can expect for my disability retirements? Sorry for the long post. Just trying to state situation. Thank you.
ADA2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #2

First, welcome.
Second, thank you for your service.
Third, the best thing for you to do right away is to contact one of the National Service Offices (NSOs) of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV). It doesn't matter if you're a DAV member or not. The NSO's job is to help make sure the VA treats you right.

Go here to find the nearest NSO.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #3

Thank you...

No thanks needed... My choice. Would do it all over again, if I could. Actually, I would still be serving except for the injury. That's why I had to leave. Anyways, I am in a situation. I am working with the DAV. We are working on multiple issues related or trying to get the V.A. to recognize as SC. What a process. As stated, I was wondering if anybody else has been in a simular situation. From what I understand, I won't be able to return to work(3 Dr's Neuro/Ortho, have told me)I'm looking at loosing $8-10 grand a year!

Sorry for the ramble... Just, In my math, doesn't seem, fair?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #4

Don't think I understand. Your disability retirements are based on your condition when you got them. Sounds like things have deteriorated since then, so your payments should be getting higher, not lower.

I'm retired Air Force, and drawing a small VA disability, but certainly no expert in this field. Maybe if you could provide some detail, someone here can give you advice.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

Fuzzy Math

I will try to explain. I had to retire after the surgery's so, I had 21yr and 7m. My retired pay is $1700. My SC(CRDP) is 90%($1739 w/spouse).
VA Disability Compensation Rates - Military Benefits - Military.com
Here is were the math gets fuzzy. "Disability coannot exceed retirement" Read the link: Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) Overview - Military Benefits - Military.com Read; "The value of CRDP" toward the bottom of the page. Civil Service pay(GS-11/2)($59,321yr). According to the Social Security they will not compute my retirement or V.A. into the determination of benefits. But, if you read over there site, it states that you can not draw over 19,000yr. without being penalized. Also, the OPM disability link shows: FERS Disability Read down to where they take 60% the first year what you would receive from SSD!

I feel there is a point where I/we(wife) will be losing most of what I have worked for. Did I give you a better view? I'm sorry for the length.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

I'm still confused about what you're asking. It appears to be a case of having your VA disability pay, FERS disability and SS disability all offsetting each other.

Too complicated for me to work it all out, but I would be very surprised if the DAV representative couldn't make sense of it. I happen to know that they get an incredible amount of training in these matters.

Maybe someone else can offer a suggestion, but all I can do is wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

BrauMister. It's just like you said. I "know" that I am going to have to have the surgery's. Of course; NOT looking forward to going back under the knife and all that comes with it. I was just dealing with; "ok, this is the way it's going to be". Now, as you stated, very confusing when you read all that information. I guess my original intent was to see if anybody else had/has a simular circumstance. Where they are receiving military, V.A. CRDP and maybe, just maybe SSI or even FERS, that could coach/direct me through the maze.

Does that clarify things?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA2D View Post
I will try to explain. I had to retire after the surgery's so, I had 21yr and 7m. My retired pay is $1700. My SC(CRDP) is 90%($1739 w/spouse).
VA Disability Compensation Rates - Military Benefits - Military.com
Here is were the math gets fuzzy. "Disability coannot exceed retirement" Read the link: Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) Overview - Military Benefits - Military.com Read; "The value of CRDP" toward the bottom of the page. Civil Service pay(GS-11/2)($59,321yr). According to the Social Security they will not compute my retirement or V.A. into the determination of benefits. But, if you read over there site, it states that you can not draw over 19,000yr. without being penalized. Also, the OPM disability link shows: FERS Disability Read down to where they take 60% the first year what you would receive from SSD!

I feel there is a point where I/we(wife) will be losing most of what I have worked for. Did I give you a better view? I'm sorry for the length.
You probably want to immediately apply for social security disability. Sounds like you deserve it.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #9

Hello jimnjana. I will have "no" choice but to. According to the Office of Personnel Management(OPM). If I apply for medical/disability retirement. My only other option is resign from my GS position and get little to nothing, only the 5% I have put into my TSP.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA2D View Post
I guess my original intent was to see if anybody else had/has a simular circumstance. Where they are receiving military, V.A. CRDP and maybe, just maybe SSI or even FERS, that could coach/direct me through the maze.
Does that clarify things?
AD, I don't personally know anyone in that situation, but there are a couple places you could look.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-38338.html

First is the Veteran's Benefits Network:
Veterans Benefits Network Forums

Second is the PEB Forum. Although this tends more toward active duty, you might be able to find out the latest on other veterans in your situation.
Physical Evaluation Board Forum

Third is the "TogetherWeServed" boards. You'd probably want the Army version (TogetherWeServed - Connecting US Army Soldiers) but you might find the answers as a guest on one of the other service's forums. These sites only offer a free trial, but I've found them well worth the cost.

Finally, if all else fails, try Grunt's Military Site - Your Online Resource for Military Info . I know that there are several 100% disabled veterans there who are pretty unhappy about being unable to work. One of them might have the answers, although these guys are not noted for their poise, polish, patience, or tact.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

ADA2D

I second Nords suggestion to pose your questions at the Veterans Benefits Network Forums.

Also if you are unable to work because of your SC disability the VA should rate you at TDIU which means a 100% rating because of your inability to remain employed.

Thanks for your service.

2soon2tell
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v.a. disability